1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Exclamation Best way to move blog to custom domain and avoid duplicate content penalty

Hi,

I am having an issue which is very frustrating. I recently created a blog on Blogger Beta and wrote about 200 articles within 3 months. However, I used the label feature incorrectly and was using keywords for the labels, instead of thinking of it as categories. Anyway, I realized my mistake about 150 posts through and changed all those posts so that the labels matched actual category names. But this change in the linking structure threw half my site into the supplemental index!!! And it's frustrating because these are unique
    and good articles that were showing up in the normal index earlier before my blunder.

Now I want to try and remove everything from the index and kinda start fresh on a new domain name. Can I use the META tags NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW, and NOARCHIVE in my blog template to somehow remove all of the pages from the Google index? I wanted to move my blog to a custom domain using Wordpress, but if my posts are currently in the Google index, I will get the duplicate content penalty and then ALL of my posts will go supplemental! And I can't do 301 redirects with because there is no way to do that in Blogger.

And unforunately with Blogger you can't upload a robots.txt file, which would be easier way to block the site.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could help me! I really put a lot of time and energy into this blog and it sucks that a simple change in linking structure can destroy your efforts. I understand Google can't sit around and check these types of things for billions of pages, but it still sucks if you're trying to write good stuff, but you're not completely savvy with all this SEO stuff.

Thanks!!!
  3. learn from lurking
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

maybe try to use <meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow"> in your blog...
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is this the best way to go about it?? Anyone else move their blog from one blogging platform to another? How did you go about redirecting your posts? I am using Blogger beta, so I can't use 301 redirects. Wondering how I can switch over to a new site and tell the Google bot not to penalize the new site for duplicate content!