1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Best way to link pages together for Google spidering

OK i have about 100 pages of my site, whats the best way to link the pages together for Google, is site map the best idea and if so how many links maximum should i have on 1 page.

OR

Am i best doing a family tree type link structure meaning from the index page i link to 4 pages, then from each of them 4 pages i link to another 4 pages and so on and so on.

Does google not like site maps or not like a certain number of links of pages.

thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Beautiful downtown Sneads Ferry, North Carolina USA
    Originally Posted by Brad123
    OK i have about 100 pages of my site, whats the best way to link the pages together for Google, is site map the best idea and if so how many links maximum should i have on 1 page.
    Natural hyperlinks are best. Focus on limiting to no more than 100 per page. I would suggest much less than that in the beginning to give you room to grow later. Yes, a site map is a very good idea with home page linking to site map and site map (or map pages) link to all pages you want spidered. Have all pages point to home page and site map to promote both highly for search engines which will "push" the spiders to follow all links on the site map.

OR Am i best doing a family tree type link structure meaning from the index page i link to 4 pages, then from each of them 4 pages i link to another 4 pages and so on and so on.
    Considering the number of pages you mentioned in the beginning, I would suggest creating a hierarchial structure with the index page pointing to top level pages and top level pages pointing to next level down. I would still include the link structure and site map mentioned above.

Does google not like site maps or not like a certain number of links of pages.
    thanks
    Google seems to love site maps as evidenced by the number of them that rank highly (often 2nd to home pages!). As for the number of links per page, there have been a number of heated discussions on various forums by "SEO Experts" regarding if and what cutoff point there is. The 100 quantity is one I personally feel comfortable with since I have seen some evidence of this as well as the percentage of link trades with "knowledgeable people" requiring their links not be on pages with >100 links. IMHO.