1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Best style for the URL of AMP pages

Hi.

I am trying to implement the AMP framework on all the pages of my website. The style of my URLs are:
    foo.com/section/item

I am seeing that one of the AMP plugins for WordPress is adding '/amp' at the end of the URLs. So, if I follow the same approach, I would have:
    foo.com/section/item/amp

In your opinion, would it be a right solution? Thank you very much.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I got one question for you...

What is the niche of your site ?

The reason I ask, an amp page generally contains less content and html markup is a little different. Amp is very well suited for news sites. If you are not really in that kind of niche then I would recommend you stay away from amp pages.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.
  5. No Profile Picture

Very good answer, thank you :-)

This website is not news focused. It is a directory with resources (restaurants, cinemas) of several cities, with 90% of the traffic coming from Google searches. It's static information, only data, one/two maps (Google Maps and OpenStreetMaps), and "Like" Facebook/Twitter buttons.

The case is that, starting on January, the mobile traffic from Google dropped. In fact, I see it on the "Search Analytics > Position" panel of 'Google Console' (from 5 to 6 in a few days). And Google recommended to implement AMP by showing the following message:

"Google has detected that your site has many pages that may benefit from being served as AMP pages. Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) are HTML pages that are optimized to load fast on mobile devices. Learn more about AMP benefits in the resources below. Valid AMP pages on your site will be eligible to be shown in search results and receive special badging in search results."
  7. No Profile Picture

Then I would make the site a Responsive Design, so you will get full benefit of your content for seo, it sounds like your rankings dipped when you implemented AMP. So Google is using the mobile index to rank desktop sites and your amp pages sound like the reason...

I would make a few test pages, making them responsive, and see if the rankings for those page increase, I am betting they will. Then you may just decide to go with a responsive design.
  9. No Profile Picture

Sorry, I apologise for not expressing myself entirely clearly.

I do not have AMP installed. All of my pages are responsive and "mobile-friendly" according to Google. Even being "mobile-friendly", my mobile position dropped in January, and Google recommends me to install AMP. Due to this recommendation, I'm planning the URL of AMP pages.
  11. No Profile Picture

If your mobile position dropped, did you desktop position drop as well ? In my opinion RWD pages do better than amp pages, page for page, for the most part and generally speaking your desktop ranking should be a couple of positions worse, worse case situation, keyword for keyword.

You may very well have some missed opportunities for on page. It would be helpful to know the site. Then more info as to what may have caused the drop could possibly be determined.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Feb 5th, 2017 at 01:51 PM. Reason: spelling correction
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    If your mobile position dropped, did you desktop position drop as well ? In my opinion RWD pages do better than amp pages, page for page, for the most part and generally speaking your desktop ranking should be a couple of positions worse, worse case situation, keyword for keyword.

You may very well have some missed opportunities for on page. It would be helpful to know the site. Then more info as to what may have caused the drop could possibly be determined.
    AMP & responsive design are 2 totally different SEO factors and the gentleman is correct in pursuing both. If rankings dropped due to not having amp pages the correct move is to AMP your responsive desgn pages so they depoly faster on mobile - google is abundantly clear here https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/6328309?authuser=2

I'm using https://wordpress.org/plugins/accelerated-mobile-pages/ on top of WP AMP and hired the developers to fix my amp pages as I am not a coder

Comments on this post

• johnclarke agrees
  15. No Profile Picture

I have recently implemented an AMP version on most of my web pages... From what I read its best to either have a completely seperate sub-domain for the AMP pages e.g. amp.mysite.com and then have the same folder structure as your existing site or alternatively use an additional folder for for your AMP pages e.g. mysite.com/amp/same/structure/as/existing-site

I chose the latter for implementation and have had good results, google indexed my AMP pages withing 48 hours and indexes around 1000 a day.

Good luck.
  17. No Profile Picture

Hi Crossword. Thank you very much for your answer.

I see that some websites like 'theguardian.com' implemented the AMP-subdomain solution, so I am considering to create:
    http:// en-amp.foo.com/whatever
    http:// de-amp.foo.com/whatever
    http:// es-amp.foo.com/whatever

Could this strategy be penalized by Google (duplicate content)? Thank you very much.