1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Guy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Best strategy for transfering link juice from old -> new domain

Do you think it's better to send all the links from the old domain to the new domain's HOMEPAGE, or is it better to try to transfer any link juice from deep pages to the same deep pages on the new domain?

I'd love to hear your ideas/experiences on this.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Definitely 301 redirect any matching pages from domain A to the matching pages of Domain B.

301 redirecting all the link equity to your home page of the new domain will help that page, but what about the rest of your pages?

I hope the right choice seems obvious.
    Follow me on Twitter for SEO tips @NickLeRoy
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Guy

Actually I don't think it's obvious at all.

When you're starting with a brand new domain, that's never been indexed by Google before, and has no links linking to it you've got a homepage with zero authority. Don't you think that there's an added benefit to pooling all your resources to the homepage alone to get it something after a while, understanding that authority will naturally flow to other pages as well?

Other things to consider:
    - All the other pages might not have any links to them, so why would you redirect those to the same page on the new domain?
    - All serps might be to the homepage
    - You might have a killer listing to a deep page or the homepage that is worth redirecting
    - I'd rather have one killer listing than hundreds of longtail ones (at least with google organic traffic)

I just wonder if there's some type of criteria people use to make this decision, or if it's just another one of those things where everyone's just got an "opinion" ?
  7. No Profile Picture
    CDV
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Would certainly agree with Nick.

Google only gives full value to 301 redirects if the content of the redirecting pages is relevant to the new page.

You could redirect more than one page to the homepage if the content is relevant. To get maximum value from your redirects ensure you are redirecting to the most relevant / similar page.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Guy

Originally Posted by CDV
    Would certainly agree with Nick.

Google only gives full value to 301 redirects if the content of the redirecting pages is relevant to the new page.

You could redirect more than one page to the homepage if the content is relevant. To get maximum value from your redirects ensure you are redirecting to the most relevant / similar page.
    Well that's a good point. You would think all the content would be "relevant" but of course if there's numerous categories on the site, then one category might not be relevant enough to the overall site's relevancy.