1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Smile Best SEO eCommerce Practice - Same Product Targeting Different Keywords

I want to target different keywords for the same e-commerce product. What's the best SEO practice? I'm aware of the pitfalls to keyword stuffing.

The product example is the GoPro Hero 5 Action Camera the same action camera can be used in many different activities, e.g. surfing, auto racing, mountain biking, sky diving, search & rescue, law enforcement etc. These activities target completely different markets, so naturally the keywords are different.

I have three strategies to tackle the issue. Please let me know which one you think is best.

1) Create different keyword landing pages with a call-to-action to the same conversion page

Each landing page will be optimized for the targeted keywords e.g. surfing, auto racing, mountain biking, sky diving, search & rescue etc. Obviously this will be a big task because there will be numerous landing pages. Each page will show how the product can be used in these activities. For Surfing, the content would include surfing images with the GoPro Hero 5, instructions on how to mount the camera to a surfboard, waterproof tests, surfing testimonials and surfing owner reviews, etc. The call-to-action leads to a generic product conversion page displaying product information such as specs, weight, video formats, price, shipping, warranty etc. The same product page will be the call-to-action for all keyword landing pages.

Positives
    Vast number of targeting long-tail keywords, numerous landing pages
    Good specific user experience who may be looking for "underwater action camera" (e.g. specific surfboard mounting instructions)
    Less duplicate content as there is only one product page showing the same information

Negatives
    Challenging to come up with thick, quality content for each keyword landing page
    Backlinks will be split between product page and keyword landing page

Underwater Surf Camera | GoPro.com - gopro.com/hero5/underwater-surf-camera
    GoPro Hero 5 Action Camera | GoPro.com - gopro.com/hero5

2) Create different keyword landing pages with call-to-action to directly add product to cart

Similar to the first option, but the call-to-action on the landing page is to Add Hero 5 to Cart. The user experience will be similar, the content creation challenges will be similar, but the techy product info e.g. specs, price, video format, etc. will be displayed on the same landing page.

Positives
    Same benefit to long-tail keywords targeting
    Same benefit to a good, specific user experience

Negatives
    Same challenges to create quality content for each keyword landing page
    No "product page", backlinks guaranteed to split between the keyword landing pages

Surf Magazine will link to:
    Underwater Surf Camera | GoPro.com - gopro.com/hero5/underwater-surf-camera

Cycling Magazine will link to:
    Cycling Action Camera | GoPro.com - gopro.com/hero5/cycling-action-camera

3) Create conversion-focused product page with casual blog about keywords

This is currently what GoPro has chosen. The product page displays the many different types of activities on the same page. The page is focused on the user experience and conversion. There are images of the action camera being used in different cool activities, showing its versatility. They may only be using short-tail broad keyword "action camera".

Positives
    User experience and conversion focused
    Fewer pages to click through
    Less content creation work
    Backlinks go to the same product page

Negatives
    Poor ranking with short-tail keyword (GoPro is not Top 10 SERP for "action camera")
    Poor ranking with long-tail keywords (GoPro doesn't rank for "diving camera, cycling camera, surf camera")

Please let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Test-ok; Jun 16th, 2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Link
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Hi ChrisCK

My choice
    Originally Posted by ChrisCK
    3) Create conversion-focused product page
    Why don't you go look at sites like Amazon and such. Search the site and see how your competitors do it. It is not unusual to have many ways to reach the same product on a eCommerce site. Only have a single stand-alone product page, otherwise, it could look spammy and ( this next part is opinion only ) Google may even consider your many landing pages as doorway pages and that would not be good.

Create the one product page, briefly address each aspect of how it can be used... this is how Amazon solved the problem and it works for them... why reinvent the wheel ??

Edited to add -- I forgot to add this part the first time.
    Originally Posted by ChrisCK
    Negatives
    Poor ranking with short-tail keyword (GoPro is not Top 10 SERP for "action camera")
    Sir I totally disagree with you, I think you are looking at personalize results. Here are the results I get and notice the #1 and #2 results. GoPro Hero5 in both of them. Also notice it is in the Carousel as well !
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Jun 16th, 2017 at 06:22 PM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Oh I would also add the following....

Going up against 2 Giants such as Amazon and PCMag, not to mention the many ad competitors, which in themselves are huge as well, is going to be tough as hell !

As one senior member here "Test-ok" says "You're a little fish in a big pond".

So put your most cherished for keyword(s) into google, then go to each of the top sites and look closely at how they construct titles and descriptions. How they have designed their url structure. Actually take the time to read their content, you will learn a thing or two about why they rank for those terms. Don't just read it like a book, no read it as a visitor would, then look at it's html tags and markup, see what schema markup they may be using, etc, etc. You will have to take advantage of every on-page SEO opportunity ! Then batten down for a long up hill climb.

I bet you will come back with more questions.....

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : Sorry I had to edit your post. ;-)
    Last edited by Test-ok; Jun 16th, 2017 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Big pond not sea, get it right. LoL