1. SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Best Possible Link to Your Site

Based on a lot of the Google optimization threads here, I'm understanding that the best possible link to your website would follow these standards:

1. Would have exactly the right anchor text
    2. Would come from a site & page with a high PR
    3. Would not be a direct reciprocal link
    4. Would be on a page that is themed to your site
    5. Would be on a page without too many other links (but with at least some other good ones)
    6. Would have descriptive content next to or around the site

To me, this sounds like people are simply describing a directory with a few extra features. So, being the clever guy that I am, I made a directory that includes as many of these as possible (with high PR and links to other sites to come...)

The site is at www.socengine.com - you can take a look and post here if there are other important features you think should be included.

Thanks and good luck.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

The best link would come from the page that currently ranks number one for the target phrase.
    SootleDir - When only the finest link will do | Webmaster Forum |
  5. Best Reader!
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

You need higher PR to attract sites, 4 isn't enough ;-)
  7. Disregard Logic, Be Happy

Originally Posted by randfish
    2. Would come from a site & page with a high PR
    4. Would be on a page that is themed to your site
    5. Would be on a page without too many other links (but with at least some other good ones)
    it seems like these three points are what a directory would have the most problem with. the PR stays low for a majority of subpages that aren't very competitive, 'theming' individual pages in a directory usually means nothing more than including them with slightly similiar links, and keeping the number of links per page is not something a directory usually wants to do.
    The Source of All Things Must Be Understood.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Suggestion:

Don't charge for links on the site till you have established yourself. It's a quick way to get thrown in the mix of the other "pay" directories that never make it. Recipricol links aren't going to help anyone these days.
  11. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    I do not recommend anyone to pay to be included in a directory, with the possible exception of Yahoo. Most sites get almost no traffic from directories. So, the only true value is a backlink from a page that has many links on it. No thanks! I pass unless it is free.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  13. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

My site is listed in the Yahoo directory... but not because I paid $299. It shows there as Overture ads. I got 8 clicks from Yahoo directory so far this month. So you can be listed there for a fraction of the cost.

I have not decided to pay for a listing yet because the page that I would be on is only PR5. Also I am not convinced that a Yahoo directory will give a PR7 site much of a kick in the search engines.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  15. SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Confusion about SOCEngine

The SOCEngine directory doesn't charge anything to sign up and the reciprocal link can come from any page or site - not neccessarily the one you want a link to. The 'theming' element is something I'd like to make stronger, but the directory system is fairly adept at giving at least some 'theme'.

The PR issue I see as important but not overwhelming. Many sites with low PRs rank very well due to quality content and good quality incoming links and anchor text.

Thanks for all your feedback and keep it up. I have been hearing some rumblings about the need for a reciprocal link, so I may remove it soon. The paid option simply exists to give those who have no access or would prefer it.

Thanks again!
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Just a small point

Just a small point but I had a look at the directory and although the home page has PR of 4, the section where I would have considered a link i.e. regional, europe, has no PR at all.

I am sure this will increase as you get submissions so I will wait a while.

How long has the site been up?
  19. Contributing User

randfish,
    I can not understand the different in your site. All the other directories, sites are categotized on theme base, is n't it?. Then What is the paont here?
  21. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    I do not recommend anyone to pay to be included in a directory, with the possible exception of Yahoo. Most sites get almost no traffic from directories. So, the only true value is a backlink from a page that has many links on it. No thanks! I pass unless it is free.
    Same here. I don't submit to directories that require me to link back to them, either. I only link to sites that are relevant to mine, and will most likely be of interest to my visitors.