1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Lightbulb Basics of Keywords selection...

Dear Seo experts,
    I would like to know what are the basics for choosing keywords that is if i got 10 keywords which i want to get top rankings for how many main keywords shall i choose from these 10 and what shall i take into consideration while choosing these main keywords?
    Isit the highest KEI, or greater count, or less competitive or what?

When choosing the main keywords how many main keywords can i target on the main page?

Shall i use main keywords alone on the main page or i must include secondary keywords with them?

Shall i optimize internal pages for main keywords or only the main page?

Thanks for your time
  3. Go OSU Beavers!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

KEI is a measurement of the number of searches for a keyword done per month versus the number of pages or Competition in the search engine index. So this means that if you have a keyword that gets plenty of searches per month and there are only a few other sites targeting that word, then you should go for it!

That being said, you should build your keywords around actual keywords that are searched, but also around the theme of your site.

For example, If you have a music site... You want to target words that get searches but also words that you can get easily. Often these words may be considered "long-tail" keywords...

Long tail keywords words that get a good amt. of searches but don't have much competition. Technically if you look at a graph of keywords, the first 10 or so get a huge amt. of searches and then it levels off exponentially as you go down the list. So if you target the 50-75 most searched keywords for "music" they all probably get a good amt. of traffic, but you're dealing with less sought after keywords. Imagine creating 25 pages that target 25 different long-tail keywords that generate 200 searches per month...that's 5000 visitors per month! In contrast you could target the main keyword "music" which may get 100,000's of searches per month and you may get only a few 100 visitors.

Essentially choosing keywords comes down to picking a niche and targeting that.
    Once you've targeted that niche, move to another. - Don't forget to build subpage backlinks that use your keywords for anchor text!
    - Scott Fish, Director of SEO | SEO Blog | Tweet | Linkedin
    Doing SEO for Fortune 500 companies for the last 8 years.
  5. Croatia - Hrvatska
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

You sould also target keywords that are really related to your services, example, if you sell something, don't go for "free + something".

You can also check my sign...how to get traffic...increasing traffic is my favorit thing

Comments on this post

• scottfish agrees : You like increasing traffic too!? good advice..