Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Banned domain - new - redirect old

ok say a clients site has gotten banned for... being a bit of a mess really...say their domain name is ayz.com

Is this a legitimate solution AFTER i have redesigned the site and optimised it? ...

Buy a new doman (say x-y-z.com) and redirect the old to this one having pulled all the content across to the new domain.
    Thus type in traffic will be fine with the redirect and the new clean site can start with Google a fresh!

Will there be a penalty for the re-direct - any conceviable problems???
    I dont think so but just checking.

Cheers in advance
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I am speaking from ignorance here but if I had a domain in that kind of trouble I would COMPLETELY stay away from any association with the old site. Don't take traffic from it, don't take content from it, just start fresh somewhere else and under a new domain, new IP, new hosting company, new everything.

Your client just got a good education and does he want to pay good money to build a new site and still have **** on his shoes from the old one.
  5. Talking Monkey

I tend to disagree... If x, y, and z are all competitive keywords and not a unique company name per se, then you should probably go for it. What if company A, PetSupplies.com was banned and then company B, Pet-Supplies.com came onto the scene? How would the SEs know that they were the same company and should be penalized accordingly?

-Nate
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally posted by "nutkeis"

I tend to disagree... If x, y, and z are all competitive keywords and not a unique company name per se, then you should probably go for it. What if company A, PetSupplies.com was banned and then company B, Pet-Supplies.com came onto the scene? How would the SEs know that they were the same company and should be penalized accordingly?
    I think he meant if there can be trouble because of the redirect. I think there will be no trouble - but you have to know why Site was banned and make corrections of it and then you can put the Content in a new URL. Then you can also do an redirect (301) to the new Domain - when Google comes to take a look they will see everything is fine and do Spamming - and then you should be fine too.
  9. Talking Monkey

Oops... Missed the bit about the redirect.

I would be cautious about that.

If you've cleaned up the site and are attempting to get a new stamp of approval, why bother with the new domain?

Redirecting an old spammy domain to a new unkown domain will probably be looked on unfavorably, no matter what the name of the new domain.

-Nate
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

But he sais at the old Doamin there are a lot of Typeins!

And this could be important!
  13. Contributing User

1. Are you really sure it's banned?

I think this is good to let people know so they are aware.

If you run a service doing SEO you better be sure to have disclaimers for things that could happen.

If you get someones site banned and they want to sue you, and you don't have disclaimers, they will probably win for your neglagence.

And no matter how crappy the site is you could be sued a lot. Future income lost, monetary damage, and others.
  15. Talking Monkey

Agreed, definately.

But my point is that Google will likely spider the old (banned) domain, see that it now redirects to the new domain (no matter what it's called), and say, "Ah ha!! Nice try, buddy!" and then ban the new domain.

I think the safer bet would be to continue with both - the old for the type-in traffic, the new, clean domain for SE traffic, and then try to appeal to the great G to re-list the old site. No redirection, no ties between the two.

-Nate
  17. Talking Monkey

The monkeys have spoken.
  19. Contributing User

EEEEWWWW EEEEWWW AHH AHHHH

Well, that's the best I can do for a monkey chant.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally posted by "nutkeis"

Agreed, definately.

But my point is that Google will likely spider the old (banned) domain, see that it now redirects to the new domain (no matter what it's called), and say, "Ah ha!! Nice try, buddy!" and then ban the new domain.

I think the safer bet would be to continue with both - the old for the type-in traffic, the new, clean domain for SE traffic, and then try to appeal to the great G to re-list the old site. No redirection, no ties between the two.

-Nate
    Yeah this is what i am worried about...here's the story

before i took the site on (or rather just before i uploaded a new version...it got banned (went grey bar - previously white!

I have cleaned up and optimized the site and its ready to go over the old version...
    now my worry is that G wont touch the new site as it has been banned thus a solution needs to be found as a remedy and i also want to keep the old domain (preferably anyway) as there is good quality type in traffic and offline marketing leads to it!

SO i thought a possible solution would be to move the new material to a new domain name (x-y-z.com) and there point the old domain at this new IP (i know i said redirect b4*).

* Another question i guess would be the best way to point the banned domain to the new.

Or is there any (reasonable time frame) chance of getting back from a grey bar?

PS: thanks very much for the responses
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ps: its gone from PR0 to grey in the klast couple of days...nothing to do with me i might add as i havnt uploaded the new site nor made any changes yet - my disclaimer covers me on this - just a shame it wasnt started a couple of months before i think
  25. Talking Monkey

I would check very, very carefully to see if it's really banned or not. Like I've said, I have plenty of grey-bar pages that are listed, and even Netscape was grey bar for a while this week.

Anyway, I still stand by my proposal that the new site be created as a seperate entity, and the old site be maintained for the type-in traffic. I wouldn't duplicate the content across both.

-Nate
  27. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Yes, i reckon you can get your grey bar back without switching domains, hosting on a separate server, blah de blah.

This is a massive problem for lots of websites, fortunetely there appears to be a way out. I read the following in a recent article and it would appear people are having success getting their website re-included into the google index (although it will still take time)

---------------------------
    ...the best way to get your website back into Google if it was banned is to write to help@google.com explaining your situation. If techniques such as cloaking or writing text that can be seen by search engines but not by users, or setting up pages/links with the sole purpose of fooling search engines, etc., were used, then you must clean your website of all such code and pages before writing to Google, to stand a good chance of possible re- inclusion.

If you do not get a reply from Google within 2 weeks you may politely send them a second email reminding them about your case. Wait another week or two and if yet no reply comes forth try a third and final email to them at the same address. You should get a reply giving you further information and status of the website in question and if all goes well you could be re- included in the next update. However, if three emails to Google still does not get you a response let alone re-inclusion then you should call up Google at 1-650-330-0100 to speak to them in person. When the menu is read out to you over the phone, press 0 to talk to a live operator who will tell you what to do in order to contact someone at Google. This should do the trick. Note, however, it is not advisable to first call them up before sending them an email, as email is the first medium of communication they prefer to use in discussing issues such as these.
    ---------------------------

So there you go, it cant hurt to try, give google a call after you've emailed them a few times and explain that all the evil spamness has been removed from your website and you will never ever do it again.., ever!
  29. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I agree with nutkeis... New domain, no conent from the old, no links from the old. You risk stinking up the new domain and having two sites banned instead of just one.

I would leave the old domain up because in addition to type in traffic it is probably getting clicks from a few search engines other than google.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: