1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Baffled over sites lack of visibility

I launched a new site about a one month ago. In a nutshell, it is designed to target one term (and spin-offs) which is a large, well known brand - let's call it 'Bob's Widgets' for the purpose of the argument.

In launching the site, I took the following steps:

- Created several pages of content targeting the phrase 'Bob's Widgets'
    - Put it on a sub-domain, i.e. http://bobswidgets.mysite.com/
    - Obtained around 100 quality links from a variety of sources, many being well-known CSS galleries, many with the phrase 'Bob's Widgets' in the anchor text

The site is of good quality technically, aesthetically and in terms of content, and no underhand techniques have been used. However, my site does not appear anywhere in the top 800 listings for 'Bob's widgets' even though most frustratingly a number of sites (CSS galleries) which link to me appear within the top 20 - 30! This isn't a competetive term!

And so I'm baffled, tired and frustrated. The techniques I've used to get links have served me very well in the past, it just doesn't seem to be working this time around.

I've wittled the potential issues down to the following:

- The site sits on a sub-domain of a non-established domain
    - The site has had issues with www and non-www versions of the site being indexed by Google [now corrected]
    - The site did automatically download a .exe (valid software - nothing dodgy) via a meta refresh from a certain page [now corrected]

Even these feel like I'm clutching at straws, so could someone perhaps share some insight?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I'm by no means an expert, but I can only share what happened on one of my sites.

Without looking into it in a little more detail I'd say that one month is not always long enough to rank well for your main KW. You'll hear a lot of talk around here regarding being sandboxed, whatever you want to call it I think you should start to see some better results in 2-3 months.

About 6 months ago I added some new products to my web site, unique products not sold anywhere else on the internet. After adding them I expected them to rank fairly well if not #1 for their chosen kw, but it took about 3 months!