1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Backlinks from link:www.site.com & external links from google webmaster tools

I have come across the difference in dispalying external links in google webmaster tools & details from link:www.site.com.

What are the reasons behind Google identifying the number of external links linking to the website (as shown in the Google Webmaster tools) but not necessarily crediting them as (link back links? What can be done to improve the situation?

Can any one have an idea on this.
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It's not that they are not crediting them. They just don't wanna show em all to the public. It has been like that for years.
    ... Hey you! FREE SEO report card ... I really my hosting company ...
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by dzine
    It's not that they are not crediting them. They just don't wanna show em all to the public. It has been like that for years.
    Thanks for trying to reply for:
    But here my Q is why it's happening. Having considered as an external link, why it's not showing in link: .
  7. SEO Insultant

Because webmaster central is something new - designed to (sorta) help webmasters.

But link: has been "intentionally broken" for a long time now - probably to discourage webmasters and SEOs from using regular google.com for SEO purposes. My bet is that (automated) link: checks were eating google's bandwidth without giving anything in return

Now - if somebody is abusing the Webmaster Central link search - at least they know who it is.
  9. seo ranter
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by technology
    Thanks for trying to reply for:
    But here my Q is why it's happening. Having considered as an external link, why it's not showing in link: .
    the link: command does not show all your links that Google has found...and the number of links is only updated around the time pagerank is updated.....but they still find and score your links...
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ThanX

Originally Posted by oseymour
    the link: command does not show all your links that Google has found...and the number of links is only updated around the time pagerank is updated.....but they still find and score your links...
    ThanX for the responce. But i am still not convinced with the answers. Will c if any can clarify me with regard to this.

The confusion is both the commands/services by Google with a diffrence in number. How can it be?
  13. SEO Insultant

In that case you're gonna have to be more precise. Which bit EXACTLY is it that puzzles you?
  15. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by oseymour
    And why I get different results when i write link:www than when i write link: www?
    Last edited by luckyeyesonline; May 22nd, 2007 at 11:17 AM.
  17. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by technology
    ThanX for the responce. But i am still not convinced with the answers. Will c if any can clarify me with regard to this.

The confusion is both the commands/services by Google with a diffrence in number. How can it be?
    Because when you use the "link:www.mysite.com" comand in Google they return a random sample of your backlinks; NOT all of them. This is documented all over the place, including somewhere by Matt Cutts.
    The webmaster tools results are intended to be much more comprehensive.

Originally Posted by luckyeyesonline
    And why I get different results when i write link:www than when i write link: www?
    The first is the correct method; the 2nd looks for "www.mysite.com" on the web just like a "standard search"; ie: It doesn't have to be a link!
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]