Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Backlinks that don't go to the main website.

Hi, I'm wondering if a backlink that goes directly to a particular product page is worth less than one that goes to the main site. So if I want the main url itself to improve its rank, will that occur if other pages are linking to those pages that reside within that domain?

Any information is appreciated.
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Your primary focus should be on getting backlinks to your landing or sales pages. Seldom is the home page the "grabber" when trying to make a sale. I would much rather have backlinks to my internal conversion pages. You usually will receive a higher conversion rate, i.e. the bounce rate on home pages are usually higher than those on conversion or sales pages (at least for us it is).
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. nobody
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    Your primary focus should be on getting backlinks to your landing or sales pages. Seldom is the home page the "grabber" when trying to make a sale. I would much rather have backlinks to my internal conversion pages. You usually will receive a higher conversion rate, i.e. the bounce rate on home pages are usually higher than those on conversion or sales pages (at least for us it is).
    but you will get a better ranking for your homepage if you were to drive all your traffic to your homepage...also it would be great for branding.
    Enterprise SEO Consultant at Sefati & Company
  7. B afraid.. B very afraid!

You want your primary pages for each keyword to rank in the SERPs NOT just your home page. If your home page is where you will convert your uniques... then fine. Otherwise, I would rather have my visitors/uniques land on pages that sell them... to sign up, buy, etc.

Bottomline: I am online to make money... not to see a high PR for my home page.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

The backlink with anchor text "X" should lead to the page that is optimised for terms including "X". I agree with SEO_AM that links to pages that your users convert on are never wrong.

In my experience, it's easy to get links to your homepage (it's natural) but links to inner pages don't come so easily. Well, it depends on the kind of website, too, of course.
  11. No Profile Picture

If a back link that goes directly to particular main page so it improve rank only particular main page which is in the back link.
    it will not increase the rank of other pages.

Comments on this post

• Chris42 : It's link juice will also be passed on to other pages
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

A backlinks from page A on site A gives - let's say - 100 link juice points to the page B on site B it links to. Of these 100 points, some are also passed on to pages C, D, E... linked to from page B.
  15. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by Chris42
    A backlinks from page A on site A gives - let's say - 100 link juice points to the page B on site B it links to. Of these 100 points, some are also passed on to pages C, D, E... linked to from page B.
    Chris is making a valid point here, where backlinks to the homepage will increase the value of it and in turn the internal pages. (internal linking then comes to mind)
  17. No Profile Picture

So is there an easy way to find where a site ranks in google's search results for a keyword without sifting through all of the pages. If I'm not in the top 50 pages for my desired keywords I'd like to be able to run a search every day to see when I start to break into the 50s, 40s, 30s etc without having to go through all of them. I've heard that such a thing exists but I don't know what it would be called.

Thanks.
  19. nobody

You want your primary pages for each keyword to rank in the SERPs NOT just your home page. If your home page is where you will convert your uniques... then fine. Otherwise, I would rather have my visitors/uniques land on pages that sell them... to sign up, buy, etc.

Bottomline: I am online to make money... not to see a high PR for my home page.
    i guess its how you have designed your website...company i work out their orderpage is a secure page so landing homepage is the best page to direct traffic too...
  21. No Profile Picture

Well I have 8000 products, so I'm wondering if for example a person sells dog food and they want the keywords "dog food" to give a high ranking to their site on google but they are creating backlinks to specific pages like one brand's product. I'm wondering if in that case the main page's rank will increase for "dog food" even if most of the back links, while using the key words in the anchor text, are actually going to the thing itself.

I rank pretty well if someone types in the specific products, so I'm not really interested in boosting that so much as boosting the main page, which has no ranking.
  23. nobody

Originally Posted by Ralleh
    Well I have 8000 products, so I'm wondering if for example a person sells dog food and they want the keywords "dog food" to give a high ranking to their site on google but they are creating backlinks to specific pages like one brand's product. I'm wondering if in that case the main page's rank will increase for "dog food" even if most of the back links, while using the key words in the anchor text, are actually going to the thing itself.

I rank pretty well if someone types in the specific products, so I'm not really interested in boosting that so much as boosting the main page, which has no ranking.
    in that case i suggest you create a top category called "dog food" where all the different type of dog foods are there and focus on that page.
  25. B afraid.. B very afraid!

I disagree.

Most people would search for the brand name of the dog food if they are buying. If doing dog food research, they may only use "dog food".

I own pets. When I search for food to buy, I normally use the brand name, e.g. Solid Gold or Pedigree. I want to compare prices and shipping costs or read the ingredients.

When searching to buy a car, I doubt if you enter "cars". You likely will enter a modifier adjective or brand, model or type of car, e.g. SUV, Toyota, hybrid, etc.
  27. No Profile Picture

I disagree.

Most people would search for the brand name of the dog food if they are buying. If doing dog food research, they may only use "dog food".

I own pets. When I search for food to buy, I normally use the brand name, e.g. Solid Gold or Pedigree. I want to compare prices and shipping costs or read the ingredients.

When searching to buy a car, I doubt if you enter "cars". You likely will enter a modifier adjective or brand, model or type of car, e.g. SUV, Toyota, hybrid, etc.
    I'm sure there is a profitable subset of people who would type "dog food" and I would wager that the top positions on that search make a lot of money as a result of being there. My search is not something like "cars" and I would benefit greatly from the general keywords increasing.
  29. B afraid.. B very afraid!

I agree... I am sure there is even a market for defective light bulbs. However, I usually go for the meat... not the gristle.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: