Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Backlink Question: From old URl to the new URL

If you redirect an old url to a new url; how much; what % of the link juice for the backlinks of the old gets transferred to the new?
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

It used to be that you lost some juice if you used a 301. Now if you use a 301 you get 100% of the juice.

Go read this article >>>>> https://searchengineland.com/google-...anymore-254608

This is a rather old article, I am surprised you didn't know this...

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks Know, what does Godaddy use as their default when you tell them to forward/ redirect a domain? I'll call and ask....
    Good news. IN short, better to then just keep the domains for a long time at $15/ yr, than go through hassle of emailing hundreds of webmasters asking for manual change concur?
  7. No Profile Picture

Actually you don't even have to call Godaddy. This is something you can do yourself.

1. Yes you do have to maintain the old domain name and have it hosted.
    2. You don't need to contact any of the sites where your links are coming from.
    3. For maximum results, do a url for url rewrite. This may be time consuming but you maintain 100% of the juice.

If you are on a linux server simply add the redirects to your htaccess or if on a Ms server edit your web.config and point the old urls to the new urls.

For IIS servers read this >>> https://www.sherweb.com/blog/how-to-...l-rewrite-map/

For Linux servers read this >>> URL Rewriting Guide - Apache HTTP Server

Take your time, do not try to rush this. Just make a list of all the urls you are going to redirect and add them one at a time till done. When you think you are finished, go over it again just to make sure.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Oh boy about a couple thousand hours work there, but hey it's ok, I'm 100 years old and retired and nothing to do.. Geez...

So then this is now not true, "f you used a 301. Now if you use a 301 you get 100% of the juice." ?

Or maybe I'm lost. Maybe someone can jump in and help me. I thought you just do one redirect of the old url to the new url... or do hundreds of one by one redirects?
  11. No Profile Picture

Ok.. let me explain. I noticed I didn't explain myself very clearly. I can see you confusion, Sorry my bad.

You make the list of urls on the old site so you can exactly duplicate the urls on the new site. This is where the hard work is, maintaining that url structure.

Once you have done that all you need is 2 lines of code on your old server to perform the url for url redirect, not 1000's

I will show you how it is done on a linux server with just the 2 line of code. Edit your htaccess file and put just these two lines of code in it !
    This example will assume you have installed SSL on the new site, if not, just remove the "s" from "https" and make it "http"
    Code:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://mynewdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    See very simple, and you are done. Again I say the hard part is duplicating the url structure of the old site on to the new site. Duplicating that structure is the tricky part. If you omit any page you will end up with a 404 error !

The nice thing about that is if you do miss one, just check for 404 errors and add a redirect for the omitted pages. Worse case scenario is you will have some redirects that chain an additional redirect, you can fix those easy enough as you find them.

I hope I have explained it clearly now.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; May 19th, 2018 at 01:51 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Know, I just call godaddy and they do a redirect, that's it. Only home page of old site to new one. You have to keep buying the domain every year, but not host it. It goes right to the new site.
  15. No Profile Picture

Not the best SEO solution, but if you are happy that is all that counts.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

you pretty much keep all the link juice.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Does anyone here know? The articles were good, I'll ask Godaddy if just normal redirect without hosting is a 301.
  21. No Profile Picture

Kevs that is the issue.. your old articles is what was driving the traffic, now when someone get to your new site, they have to hunt the article again, they may lose interest and bounce.

If the old site was making money, then you can put the domain on some cheap hosting then redirect the urls to you new site and if the url structure is preserved the visitor goes straight to the new page, not the home page.

I mean, really, you can get cheap hosting from godaddy for 5 bucks a month. So what are you looking at in cost, 75 bucks a year.

But fyi it is a 301

23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks Know, what articles? Actually just photography websites that have some backlinks. And I'd like these backlinks that maybe are not even getting clicked on to count for the new site. Anyway, yeah, I have a C Panel with GoDaddy so the hosting would be free!
    But why host it? Then someone has to click on a dummy page, and then click again, right to get to the new site? Why not just have whoever clicks the old site go direct to the new?

Your screenshot is for going from old directly to the new? If so great then 301... Hard to understand everything by forum threads. If you were in the room live this would probably take 5 min to understand.

And what if no one is clicking the backlinks? Do those backlinks let's say 400 for two old sites, count as backlinks for the new site if I do a direct forward?
  25. No Profile Picture

You totally miss-understand how this works..

You put the redirect in the htaccess file on the old site.

Then when some clicks that existing backlinks some where on the net, it goes to your old domain and then automatically without any further ado, the site redirects that url to your new website and if on the new website you have the "EXACT SAME URL" then the visitor arrives on that "THAT EXACT SAME PAGE".

100 % transfer of all SEO benefits ! No loss of visitor because they can't find the page.

Just one redirect, that is it.

Edited to add.
    I forgot to answer the second part...

Yes, the backlinks now count for the new site. That is why you do it this way !!!

Do you understand now ???
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; May 21st, 2018 at 06:20 PM.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Very hard to understand, this writing:

"Then when some clicks that existing backlinks some where on the net, it goes to your old domain and then automatically without any further ado, the site redirects that url to your new website and if on the new website you have the "EXACT SAME URL" then the visitor arrives on that "THAT EXACT SAME PAGE"."
  29. No Profile Picture

Ok..

you have a domain let us call it myolddomain.com

you have a page let us call it myolddomain.com/bestofwebcontent.html

you also have backlinks pointing to myolddomaain.com/bestofwebcontent.html

you decide for some reason that you want to change your domain name to mynewdomain.com and you want to keep all the juice from your backlinks and not cause any visitors any problems finding the page bestofwebcontent.html on the new site.

now you want to redirect that page on the old domain to the new domain and the same page, bestofwebcontent.html

so you create the new site and you replicate the page on the new site.

so you have this new page >>>>> mynewdomain.com/bestofwebcontent.html

So you keep the old domain and you host it on a linux server, you only keep the homepage of the old site. The rest of the pages can be deleted for all practical purposes and intent.

in the htaccess file of the old domain you put in these two lines of code.

Code:
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://mynewdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    I have this blog and you have made a post on it and in your post you have a link pointing to myolddomain.com/bestofwebcontent.html

Now when someone reads my blog and decides to click your link on my blog, they get sent to your old site >> myolddomain.com/bestofwebcontent.html
    They arrive on your site >>> myolddomain.com and the htaccess file then redirects them to mynewdomain.com/bestofwebcontent.html
    The visitor then arrives on your new site >>> mynewdomain.com/bestofwebcontent.html

They never see your old website and only see your new website.

Bottom line this results in a url for url redirect so no matter what link someone on the net clicks, they arrive on your site on your page. They don't just get sent to your home page. They get sent to the exact page on your new site.

You got it now. If not then you need to hire a web designer to do this for you.

I can't make this explanation any simpler.

Maybe if I said "Clone the website but with a new domain name", would that make sense to you... ?????
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; May 21st, 2018 at 09:09 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: