1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Smile Avoiding Duplicate Content Penalty

I have a question for you experienced SEO guys on here. Here is the scenario,

This is just an example of what I'm trying to do:

I want to use a movie review located on a popular movie website. This review is only located on that one particular website and no other site has it.

Now say I use that particular review on one of my websites BUT I create a unique Title Tag, Unique Header tag and also use ofcourse my own html layout which is unique.

Would the Googlebot be able to determine whether it is dupe content or not therefore leading to a penalty? If yes...then anyone can suggest what can be done in a situation like that where I have permission to use someone's review on my site but need to avoid a penalty, anyone has any tricks or tips that work well for them? Any help appreciated !
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I think if you make sure that you don't share content with the same Ip block sites and link within the same IP block sites, you should be in good shape.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by mazsola
    I think if you make sure that you don't share content with the same Ip block sites and link within the same IP block sites, you should be in good shape.
    maz..would same block be the first number (96) in an IP? I gotta make sure my site isn't on 96 if the other is on it? I haven't heard of this theory before, anyone can comment?

96.x.x.x (Site I'm copying)
    96.x.x.x (My site)
  7. <- Solan Gundersen
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Don't worry about the IP. According to your description you will have totally different html, title, layout etc. You have nothing to worry about.
  9. Contributing User

It doesn't take much . . . .

This is not set forth as authoritative, but I certainly have read several reports on forums that suggest that even relatively minor changes suffice to avoid "duplicate content" penalties.

I suspect that the penalty is aimed at those trying to pass off the very same page as different pages.

I agree that the scope of the page changes you are making--all you are really doing, I gather, is picking up a text block to use--should vastly more than suffice to make a "new and different" page.

--
    Cordially,
    Eric Walker
  11. Savior of the Whales
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

i think g does have "substantial" similar content identification ability ....

but there is NO DUP CONTENT PENALTY .... just the page with the highest page rank shows up, the other dont ..... you can put dup content everywhere you like, no penlaty .... just one page shows ....
    *** Search Engine News, Jesus helps JOE BOB SEO save the whales. ***
  13. Disregard Logic, Be Happy
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Duplicate content? Try every news site on the web...they all love that A.P. verbatum with millions of pages out now and in archive 8)
    The Source of All Things Must Be Understood.
  15. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by JoeBob
    i think g does have "substantial" similar content identification ability ....

but there is NO DUP CONTENT PENALTY .... just the page with the highest page rank shows up, the other dont ..... you can put dup content everywhere you like, no penlaty .... just one page shows ....
    If you make a 100 page site and those 100 pages have one or two keywords that are changed on each page but the remaining layout and text remain the same I believe that you will see your pages slowly become ignored in the rankings.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  17. Savior of the Whales
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by EGOL
    If you make a 100 page site and those 100 pages have one or two keywords that are changed on each page but the remaining layout and text remain the same I believe that you will see your pages slowly become ignored in the rankings.
    My experience is that 99 will be ignored and ONE will be indexed and ranked normally ... i assume it is the one with the highest PR but google may pick it based on some other criteria ... i dont have a reason to think it is PR other than pure speculation .... i do know from experience that they just pick one to index .... and it seems to rank the same as you would expect it to ... so that is why i say they dont have a penalty .... they just show one page ....

i have some cases myself with 50 "state" pages .... identical except for the state name ..... and google shows JUST ONE of those in the serps .... not all 50 .... the unusual thing is some months it is new jersey . other months tennessee .... and i cant see what any of the pages PR would be different .... so maybe if it is the same they just grab one randomly ...
  19. Contributing User

It doesn't seem to take much . . . .

Some have reported that textual changes on the order of 2% between otherwise-identical pages or so have been enough to avoid the "penalty".

All for all, it is not hard to provide differing content for closely analogous pages. The "50 states" situation is a common one: but providing a bit of data on each state on the corresponding page (capitol, population, state song--that sort of thing) might well suffice. There are also various dropins, from RSS feeds to things like my "Weather" module, that can be used to provide independent content with no special attention required.

--
    Cordially,
    Eric Walker