1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Automated Google Queries???

I've been using a number of different methods to check my Google Rank Positioning over the last few months... then I opened my eyes and found the following today, right off Google's terms of service page:

No Automated Querying

You may not send automated queries of any sort to Google's system without express permission in advance from Google. Note that "sending automated queries" includes, among other things:
    • using any software which sends queries to Google to determine how a website or webpage "ranks" on Google for various queries;
    • "meta-searching" Google; and
    • performing "offline" searches on Google.

Please do not write to Google to request permission to "meta-search" Google for a research project, as such requests will not be granted.

What does this mean? How serious is this? Could I be penalized for using Rank checking programs????
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

yes, your ip may be banned. try http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/keywords/ instead. it uses the google api (you'll have to get an api key from google, but it's easy and free). anyway, it's ok with google to use it.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Okay, thanks, I have been using digital point, on multiple sites. I also have been using multiple Google API keys when needed, if i exceed the total for the day. Is this a no no? In addition I have been using another program... (i don't know if i can mention it here) but it is all automated and i don't have anything to do with the api key here???? what do you think? I'm running several thousand queries one day per week
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yep... just to clarify, Google has separate terms and conditions for usage of the Google API. The main limitation is you are limited to 1,000 queries per day, but that is sufficient for most...

Another term/condition is you are only allowed 1 API key per person. So if you have multiple keys, I wouldn't post it publicly.

- Shawn
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Digital Point, how about your site search script? i just tried and the results were perfect and fast. can i use your site search script with my google api in commercial site?

Google says in APi TOS that you can not use this for commercial use...
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

You may want to clarify it with Google, but it's my understanding that it's okay (we use it on every page within digitalpoint.com). I think the "commercialization" of it means we can't charge for it.

- Shawn