1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Article Outranked by Homepage and other pages

Does anyone know why my articles are being outranked by my homepage and other pages on my site?

I write product reviews on my site and until the article falls off the homepage after newer articles are published my homepage outranks the actual article. When the article falls off the homepage I can't really find the article on Google anymore either.

What could my problem be?

One example is by searching for: NECA Kyle Reese Figure Review

The homepage and 1 other page is outranking the actual article.

You can view the site at actionfigurefury . com
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Because your articles are fresher than your homepage content. If you want your homepage to rank, optimize your homepage with proper on-page SEO and link building.

From my experiences, if you have 2 page with NO links (or let's say equal) the page with more relevant text and fresher content will rank higher. As in your case.

Optimize your pages better to show or lead Google in the direction of which page to give priority to.

Best of luck.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by joshz
    Because your articles are fresher than your homepage content. If you want your homepage to rank, optimize your homepage with proper on-page SEO and link building.

From my experiences, if you have 2 page with NO links (or let's say equal) the page with more relevant text and fresher content will rank higher. As in your case.

Optimize your pages better to show or lead Google in the direction of which page to give priority to.

Best of luck.
    Shouldn't the article be outranking the homepage then? It has more relevant content to that search term. The article was written for that search term specifically. The only term that the homepage has for that term is the article title itself.

There is also another page on my site where my reviews are organized and it just contains links to my reviews and it is also outranking the actual review itself too.

I don't understand why when the actual article is written specifically for that search term and the other pages just have the article title on it once.
  7. SEO Consultant

Oh, I'm sorry. I misread your original post.

My apologies. What type of promoting are you doing for your new content? Are you on a CMS system similar to WordPress?

Have you tried to promote the articles within your site by some good internal linking? Any link building to the article pages?
  9. No Profile Picture

Oh, I'm sorry. I misread your original post.

My apologies. What type of promoting are you doing for your new content? Are you on a CMS system similar to WordPress?

Have you tried to promote the articles within your site by some good internal linking? Any link building to the article pages?
    Yes I am using Wordpress. When I publish a new post I will submit the link to my Twitter and Facebook account. Sometimes I will submit the article to Reddit to the appropriate sub-reddit.

On a weekly basis there are 3 sites in my niche that do a "review round up". They round up all of the action figure reviews on the internet on one page for that week.

For internal linking most of the reviews are interlinked with "related posts" at the end of the posts and then in the posts I will also link to other reviews that are going to be of interest to the reader.

My site has been having a ranking problem for the last few weeks. Lots of the reviews just dropped off the first page of Google and even out of the top 100 results.
    Last edited by ActionFigFury; Nov 13th, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
  11. SEO Consultant

Originally Posted by ActionFigFury
    Yes I am using Wordpress. When I publish a new post I will submit the link to my Twitter and Facebook account. Sometimes I will submit the article to Reddit to the appropriate sub-reddit.

On a weekly basis there are 3 sites in my niche that do a "review round up". They round up all of the action figure reviews on the internet on one page for that week.

My site has been having a ranking problem for the last few weeks. Lots of the reviews just dropped off the first page of Google and even out of the top 100 results.
    Are you doing any active link building?
  13. No Profile Picture

Are you doing any active link building?
    Not a whole lot.
  15. SEO Consultant

Not a whole lot.
    That might be the solution to many of your problems, bud
  17. No Profile Picture

That might be the solution to many of your problems, bud
    Is that why I would just drop from page 1 to not in the top 100?
  19. SEO Consultant

Is that why I would just drop from page 1 to not in the top 100?
    Well, it could be a number of reasons. It would be one of the Google updates, it could have been a loss link, it could have been a site change. There's not telling without digging into the site and doing some Q/A and research.
  21. No Profile Picture

Well, it could be a number of reasons. It would be one of the Google updates, it could have been a loss link, it could have been a site change. There's not telling without digging into the site and doing some Q/A and research.
    Would you be willing to do a little bit of digging into my site for me?
  23. SEO Consultant

Would you be willing to do a little bit of digging into my site for me?
    Not anymore that I've already done, for free at least. Maybe others might have more time to offer.

Someone would need to review your GA/GWT history and match up with Google updates. A true, detailed review will take an hour or two.
  25. No Profile Picture

Not anymore that I've already done, for free at least. Maybe others might have more time to offer.

Someone would need to review your GA/GWT history and match up with Google updates. A true, detailed review will take an hour or two.
    What would something like this cost?
  27. SEO Consultant

What would something like this cost?
    It can vary from person to person, firm to firm and country to country. If you're interested, you could review some of the top members here or simply wait and maybe somebody with more time would offer their advise, too.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo