Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture

Q) Are all of these links from the original article site linking back to us, now considered negative SEO links?
    A) Yes it is!

Q) Would this be a good reason to actually use the Disavow tool?
    A) Exactly you need to collect all urls which you think is bad and impact negative seo

Q) Has anyone had a similar situation and used the Disavow tool and had success with it?
    A) I have been go through all the bad links and sent it to google, and somewhat a little success in search ranks.

Q) Should we remove the Articles from the Article Sites?
    A) Yes, if possible
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by PathwayIns
    So are you still doing Article syndication For your search engine optimization or have you backed off from that?
    Ok so many 'copied' it, or do you mean others copied (with your permission?) your content? I assumed based on your comments you did post on an article directory since your article went viral by others 'copying'.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    I like gazz think it'll only hurt the spammy sites that's sending the links.
    1. If you purchase sites to spam your competitors you'll be wasting your time working of a site that's only going to get devalued because it'll be a site that's going to fall over the cliff.
    and if you purchased this scheme
    2. I can't imagine a good link builder with a bunch of good sites doing this because it'll only kill his good link building sites. And it won't work anyway. Let me rephrase that..it could work but he'll for sure lose his juice..and he'll end up with a linking site of zero value. (which would define a good and bad link builder)

The penalty:
    A site got hit because they showed they had a bad habit of purchasing links...period, and it was a manual penalty, they lost the juice from these spammy sites and got hit with a manual penalty. The spammy sites that sent out hundreds of links with a bunch of the same anchor text get hit and doesn't come back...well it could come back but it's much cheaper and easier to start fresh one which takes a lot longer and is more expensive.

So the moral of this story is:
    Stop trying to buck the system by taking down your competitor this way and make your site better. It's easier to put 100 percent into your site than putting 100 percent into all your competitors..your fighting bad odds and it'll end up costing more and you'll still be down the list.
    Spending time trying to take your competitors down using these techniques is a waste of time and a stupid thought process.

Stop thinking of an easy way and do it the right way, then you'll be done. My brother told he got a cheap 50 foot hose for 6 dollars at the store after I told him mine cost 20 dollars...however he had to replace his 6 times while I still have that original $20 dollar hose. Do it right the first time!
    That isn't my intention as I consider that highly unethical to do something like that, and its possible that the culprits could be held accountable civilly, if litigation were filed, ok so let me rephrase...a chiropractor in Dallas has a well balanced mix of links with no more than 5% of the links as his targeted key words, a competitor with bad intentions blasts 5000 anchor links with 'chiropractor Dallas Texas', now his most valuable key word, 'chiropractor Dallas Texas' as a targeted keyword goes from no more than 5% to 45%...google thinks the owner of the site is gaming the system by targeting the keyword 'chiropractor Dallas Texas' so the penalty kicks in from google for over optimization and the innocent chiropractor looses ranking on the keyword 'chiropractor Dallas Texas' because a competitor blasted that anchor to 5000 websites in efforts to harm the innocent chiropractors website. (Pliggs, forum profile, wp comments)
    Last edited by PathwayIns; Jan 13th, 2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Grammar error
  7. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Frankly I don't think wasting time on contacting 100s of article sites to remove the article is worth the effort. I am not even convinced its doable. The PR0 sites you mention would never respond to your mails or calls.

Using the Disavow tool is not a bad idea if you are convinced that the drop in rankings are due to bad links that materialized from the spun articles.
    If it was me, I would pick the silliest of links and remove 15-20 at a time. I would notice the change, if any and then repeat or stop the disavow usage.

As for negative SEO, as Gazzahk says, if a site is established you can't dislodge it rankings. But the sites with already a poor link profile can be Negative SEOed. I have brought down 4-5 target pages (not whole websites) for money keywords, with a decent amount of traffic and moderate competition.
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

An Update.

I no longer think the Article is Negative and won't be using the disavow tool. We were able to reverse the downward trend and I believe we can regain our old position.

Here is what we did:

(1) Review all links going to that page, remove or change any links that have zero or limited relevance to the topic.
    (2) Build more topically relevant quality links back to the page.

That's it. Didn't touch the articles or go after the shady sites.

As Gazz mentioned, I also believe Google has recently (this year) really changed the way they look at relevance. Gaining relevance via link building seems to have less of an impact as it once did.
  11. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

That isn't my intention as I consider that highly unethical to do something like that, and its possible that the culprits could be held accountable civilly, if litigation were filed, ok so let me rephrase...a chiropractor in Dallas has a well balanced mix of links with no more than 5% of the links as his targeted key words, a competitor with bad intentions blasts 5000 anchor links with 'chiropractor Dallas Texas', now his most valuable key word, 'chiropractor Dallas Texas' as a targeted keyword goes from no more than 5% to 45%...google thinks the owner of the site is gaming the system by targeting the keyword 'chiropractor Dallas Texas' so the penalty kicks in from google for over optimization and the innocent chiropractor looses ranking on the keyword 'chiropractor Dallas Texas' because a competitor blasted that anchor to 5000 websites in efforts to harm the innocent chiropractors website. (Pliggs, forum profile, wp comments)
    It really wasn't intended for you per say, But a general comment for anyone who's thinking of using this technique.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks and I understand, there are always ones who want to game the system, and also those that my tend to shoot first, ask questions later.
  15. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Remember that negative SEO needs a campaign just as intensive as a positive SEO campaign for your own site to even hope for success. A negative link seems to have much less of a hit than a positive link. So, in this case, 5000 links would hurt, but if he has, say, 2000 positve links the hit might be minimal. If they find and disavow the 5000 bad links then the hit goes away. And that's assuming that Google doesn't devalue them first!

Negative SEO just doesn't have much of a future.
Page 2 of 2 First 12
  • Jump to page: