1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Article Marketing and Duplicate Content

This surely has crossed the minds of those into article marketing:

Does google penalize you if you post your latest and greatest article to your blog/main website--- then you fan out the same article to hundreds of article directories?

I personally wondered about this on the SEO point of view. This surely brings in human traffic when folks see the value of your article. But does google frown upon seeing the same article on hundreds of sites? Will the original article posted on your website leave you penalized?

Would love your opinions.
  3. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by jplazo
    This surely has crossed the minds of those into article marketing:

Does google penalize you if you post your latest and greatest article to your blog/main website--- then you fan out the same article to hundreds of article directories?

I personally wondered about this on the SEO point of view. This surely brings in human traffic when folks see the value of your article. But does google frown upon seeing the same article on hundreds of sites? Will the original article posted on your website leave you penalized?

Would love your opinions.
    IMO Google doesnt penalize for this.. just discounts it. Google does not see multiple copies and say.. lets pick the first one and then kick everyone that has the same article on their site of the web. It just that google trys to not list duplicate content. Therefore the worst that is likely to happen is the page with the duplicate content will be ignored. This is not a penalty.

If you write a good article make sure google has indexed it before submitting to article sites.

Another method is to break the article up into parts and only submit part one to the article sites. Have a link to the rest on your site.

I think any decent articles are best left on your site and list on Digg in hope others will link. Just write short informative article for article sites that have links back to you.

I suggest not submitting the same article to many sites. try to write 5 or 6 short articles and submit each one to 4 or 5 sites. Do a search in a couple of weeks and the ones that do not show up submit to more sites.

Short articles are quite easy to write. Just base them on summaries of things you have read. preffebly not on the internet. i.e local newspapers and magazines. try not to plagarise but to sumarise.

I also recommend using article sites like a book abstract. if you can interest people they may visit you site and link to your articles.

Good luck

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees : Too many good posts by you this weekend :lol!: no rep left otherwise I would give you more for this :)
    • StingPro agrees
    • raz agrees : Also; making up for clicky’s “no green left” dilemma.
    Live the moment
  5. No Profile Picture

I appreciate this!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

WOW thanks. This was the most confusing thing. I used to spend hours writing my own articles so atleast now I will be able to put some from others also.
  9. E-marketing
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

how google ranking about same content

if many websites published same article then how google giving ranking.

which website will come first.
  11. No Profile Picture

Dunno which gets ranked first in Google for an article that's been duplicated on other sites... and that *might* change over time...

Likely it's the website most relevant 'site-wide' for the article's theme, followed by whichever's got the highest Google PR for that page or site... not sure how much, if any, weight is given to whichever site Google found it on first (although it makes sense to ME that it should).

For those who are writing up articles (or want to find articles, for that matter) - consider checking out my Directory of Article Directories resource page...

I just updated it (by hand!) so it now has just over 200 article directories arranged by categeory (ecommerce, multiple themes, and many specific niche directories) and ranked by Google PR for the specific webpage submitted articles appear on. Individual links for both 'viewing' and 'submitting' articles.

For those with limited time (all the sites are free, so time is the only requirement), I'd suggest submitting to any and all niche article directories related to your article's topic, and then to some of the 'multiple' themed directories with the highest Google PR in that site's most relevant category. Or, if your article is somehow related to eCommerce - submit to the eCommerce directories with the highest PR.

Just do a google search for:
    article directories arcanaweb
    and my resource page should be #1.

Hope that helps!

-Steve
    Last edited by Steve Gill; Nov 24th, 2006 at 02:14 PM.
  13. The Dude

Does anyone know of a list of sites that accept article submissions?
  15. No Profile Picture

See above...

StingPro wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a list of sites that accept
    > article submissions?

Not sure if you saw my post above yours (or didn't read it through) but my resource page mentioned there has a ton of article directories looking for submissions....

As mentioned, do a google search for:
    'article directories arcanaweb'
    where I should pop up #1

Just FYI,

-Steve
    Last edited by Steve Gill; Nov 24th, 2006 at 02:13 PM.
  17. A UK SEO

Originally Posted by StingPro
    Does anyone know of a list of sites that accept article submissions?
    Sign up for www.articlesender.com this is a quality article submssion site and it's free, when I wrote one and submited it I gained backlinks, traffic and I even had people contacting me asking me questions about SEO.
  19. The Dude

Does anyone fear that article submission will eventually become something that SE's attempt to filter out? Do people think this may be a fad that works great now but will some day after an algo switch become useless?
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

no only some directories will become useless. the ones that bring no traffic and approve any old thing will and are dying out as it is. but directories i believe are here to stay. it would be crazy to actually discount the small amount that are left cause my articles usually get quite a few views, it's about SEO (maybe) later and the traffic first.
    Last edited by hazelj80; Nov 25th, 2006 at 12:24 PM.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by StingPro
    Does anyone fear that article submission will eventually become something that SE's attempt to filter out? Do people think this may be a fad that works great now but will some day after an algo switch become useless?
    I think it's a fad that already passed. It's not real hard for a company like Google to scan for "Bio" and discount links.
  25. No Profile Picture

Urm .. this is very confusing. I am now learning about the fact that google "ignores" duplicate entries. I dont see how thats coming to any solution at all.

Consider this :

Original Author writes an articles spending 4 hours. He posts it into an online article directory. He gets paid to do so.

After a couple of days, evil webmasters find this article interesting and posts it in their site/blog, which then takes a few more days to show up in search engines.
    However, the webmaster edits a little bit of it, or adds some thoughts of his own.

I dont think Google's service is still smart enough to "know" whats really going on.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by darkcrunk

After a couple of days, evil webmasters find this article interesting and posts it in their site/blog, which then takes a few more days to show up in search engines.
    However, the webmaster edits a little bit of it, or adds some thoughts of his own.

I dont think Google's service is still smart enough to "know" whats really going on.
    Hmmmmmm

“For a given document, each sentence of the document has a count of how many related phrases are present in the sentence. The sentences of document can be ranked by this count, and a number of the top ranking sentences (e.g., five sentences) are selected to form a document description.

This description is then stored in association with the document. During indexing, a newly crawled document is processed in the same manner to generate the document description. The new document description can be matched (e.g.,hashed) against previous document descriptions, and if a match is found, then the new document is a duplicate. Similarly, during preparation of the results of a search query, the documents in the search result set can be processed to eliminate duplicates.”
    That's just ONE of the indexing and retrival algo processes for dealing with Dupes