Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,194
    Rep Power
    2868

    Article Marketing


    In a previous post I claimed that article marketing was "mostly useless", in another post in that same thread I said it was "useless" in relation to Google ranks.

    Judging from the excellent comments that opinions received, I want to open my mind and do my own study.

    So I wrote a killer article, it is compelling, original and relevant... And I will write another each week for 8 weeks. I will measure the results on Google and report them back here.

    Do I put the articles on my own site first and link to it from the article site I choose? or do I just give this article site my great content and link it to the page with the most relevant optimization?

    Do I put it on 1 article site or 3 or more?

    Here's my prediction: I will see a short term boost, followed by a just as rapid decline to its original or very slightly better position.

    Any advice on placing my article(s)?
    I encourage others to do their own study so we can compare results.
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Oct 19th, 2009 at 11:51 AM.
  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,280
    Rep Power
    196
    Ok from my 'in the field' experimentation with article writing I tend to think you will find the results which you think you will if you are in any competitive field.

    I don't think even the best article writers think it is a route to 10 top rankings for big insurance, finance or travel terms.

    Lets define the field you are targetting and see if it is relevant to the test at hand.

    I would suggest you also look at the article stratgery you wish to use.

    1) Link bait.

    Publish on your own site, and see what happens, if you have a1 content I see this as the best policy.

    2) Volume

    Spun articles looking for volumes of links and hoping that some stick. Lower quality articles, useful for long tail stuff, or intial links but nothing else.

    Have a look at uniue article wizard if want to try this.

    3) Viral

    High quality article with a viral hook, I have no idea how to do this and if you can work it our please tell me, I think this how article writing really works effectively.

    Also depends on the site.

    Try it for a virgin domain I think you will see a wothwhile effect,

    Try in for aged domain with good backlink profile you will see little effect.
  4. #3
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA Rocky Mountains
    Posts
    646
    Rep Power
    54
    I've been investigating this as well. I have 5 articles all around 1000 words written specifically for this purpose posted on ezine. The articles are well written and very informative (written by a Dr.). I have links in the footers back to the website with the target phrase I was hoping to enhance.

    After about 10 weeks, the result so far is no change in my ranking, however an increase in traffic due to the popularity of the articles.
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,280
    Rep Power
    196
    I don't think 1 version of 5 articles on all on the same website is effective article based link building.

    Its like saying I wrote 2 words of quality text and my site hasn't moved.

    Originally Posted by seo-sparky
    I've been investigating this as well. I have 5 articles all around 1000 words written specifically for this purpose posted on ezine. The articles are well written and very informative (written by a Dr.). I have links in the footers back to the website with the target phrase I was hoping to enhance.

    After about 10 weeks, the result so far is no change in my ranking, however an increase in traffic due to the popularity of the articles.
  8. #5
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA Rocky Mountains
    Posts
    646
    Rep Power
    54
    Originally Posted by Noj
    I don't think 1 version of 5 articles on all on the same website is effective article based link building.

    Its like saying I wrote 2 words of quality text and my site hasn't moved.
    I didn't say it was effective, I said it was not effective.

    Strictly an observation of my experience so far... after all KernelPanic was talking about 8 killer articles, I have 5. So I think there's some relevance.
    Last edited by seo-sparky; Oct 19th, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,280
    Rep Power
    196
    I think we would both agreed its not effective, but I don't think its an effective test because you haven't got an effect SEO link building strategy.

    If we are both agreeing that then it is fine.

    If your saying that link building by article submission does work because of your experiences, then id say its not a proper test.

    However in the field experience is leading me to believe its useful for very new sites for there first links and has a low value after that point.

    Originally Posted by seo-sparky
    I didn't say it was effective, I said it was not effective.

    Strictly an observation of my experience so far... after all KernelPanic was talking about 8 killer articles, I have 5. So I think there's some relevance.
  12. #7
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA Rocky Mountains
    Posts
    646
    Rep Power
    54
    Originally Posted by Noj
    I think we would both agreed its not effective, but I don't think its an effective test because you haven't got an effect SEO link building strategy.

    If we are both agreeing that then it is fine.

    If your saying that link building by article submission does work because of your experiences, then id say its not a proper test.

    However in the field experience is leading me to believe its useful for very new sites for there first links and has a low value after that point.
    Would you say his test of 8 articles will not be an effective test either? What's the breakover point from ineffective to effective?
  14. #8
  15. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,194
    Rep Power
    2868
    Originally Posted by Noj
    I think we would both agreed its not effective, but I don't think its an effective test because you haven't got an effect SEO link building strategy.

    If we are both agreeing that then it is fine.

    If your saying that link building by article submission does work because of your experiences, then id say its not a proper test.

    However in the field experience is leading me to believe its useful for very new sites for there first links and has a low value after that point.
    Is your belief that it is not effective a "feeling" or do you have data to back it up? In the end I think I will end up agreeing with you and sparky, but I have to challenge my thought process on occasion or risk becoming a closed minded old codger. (as opposed to just an old codger)

    I had a "feeling" it was of no value because a link from ezine is so obviously an artifical one. Then I saw Purdue's link showing some pretty good data:

    http://hubshout.com/?Does-syndication-really-help-SEO&AID=164

    This is why I am testing it. Again, I think you are correct.... we'll see. Of course no definite conclusion can be based on 8 weeks of article marketing, but it's a start, and if more like sparky jump into the fray we'll actually be doing some good rather than just shouting our opinions at one another
  16. #9
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    37
    Rep Power
    7
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    In a previous post I claimed that article marketing was "mostly useless", in another post in that same thread I said it was "useless" in relation to Google ranks.

    Judging from the excellent comments that opinions received, I want to open my mind and do my own study.

    So I wrote a killer article, it is compelling, original and relevant... And I will write another each week for 8 weeks. I will measure the results on Google and report them back here.

    Do I put the articles on my own site first and link to it from the article site I choose? or do I just give this article site my great content and link it to the page with the most relevant optimization?

    Do I put it on 1 article site or 3 or more?

    Here's my prediction: I will see a short term boost, followed by a just as rapid decline to its original or very slightly better position.

    Any advice on placing my article(s)?
    I encourage others to do their own study so we can compare results.
    A few articles won't do.
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,280
    Rep Power
    196
    Originally Posted by seo-sparky
    Would you say his test of 8 articles will not be an effective test either? What's the breakover point from ineffective to effective?
    I think its a lot more complex than how many articles on ezines.

    I think there is an art to doing article link well, and if you work that art out it can work well for you, I juts haven't done that yet

    I think if you idea of article based link building is putting articles on ezines it juts wont work, at all.
  20. #11
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    204
    Rep Power
    16

    Why submit to only one site!


    Originally Posted by Noj
    I think its a lot more complex than how many articles on ezines.

    I think there is an art to doing article link well, and if you work that art out it can work well for you, I juts haven't done that yet

    I think if you idea of article based link building is putting articles on ezines it juts wont work, at all.
    If you want to get the link benefit from an article you need to submit that article to many places!
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,280
    Rep Power
    196
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Is your belief that it is not effective a "feeling" or do you have data to back it up? In the end I think I will end up agreeing with you and sparky, but I have to challenge my thought process on occasion or risk becoming a closed minded old codger. (as opposed to just an old codger)
    I have been using it the last few months and found it useful for new sites and long tail stuff, but useless in shifting more difficult terms in any direction.

    I do 'article spinning' which will give me about 20-40 links per article, all low quality but distributed and quite natural in pattern

    The Sharpe Books site in my footer was had 10 weeks link building from launch which is just from signature links, blog posts and article writing, and is now top 10 for 42 of the 67 original target phrases, so I don't think its useless.

    However it has done very little for a more mature site i have been link building for, so I think its a limited technique.
  24. #13
  25. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    9,762
    Rep Power
    2478
    We do not post- any articles out to syndication. None, never.

    Write a great article - best on the web in its niche - then toss a link and clever description of it out to three or four good social media sites - it will often be like tossing gasoline on a fire (if your articles are really best on the web in their niche).
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  26. #14
  27. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    One Name for Affordable Social Bookmarking and SEO Services


    SEM-Service: One Name for Affordable Social Bookmarking and SEO Services

    Are you looking for ways to improve the ranking of your website on search engines that will directly benefit your visitors ratio?

    SEM-Service offers search engine optimization services that cover all the aspects right from website optimization to its promotion. The high position’s unique portfolio of search engine optimization services of the company is especially designed to deliver results.

    Known for providing affordable social bookmarking, cheapest directory submission, highest quality and quickest SEO services, the company has enabled many brands and companies to organically increase their market presence via performance and visibility. Functioning in a truly global market place, SEM-Service is regarded as the SEO firm that makes the entire process hassle free and as easy as possible.

    Hiring an SEO is a big decision as it will improve or risk the reputation and profit of your site.

    Most of the people ask us about what we can exactly do for our client?

    All we say is that you advertise your company on television, radio, newspapers, magazines and many other medium. But, are these cost effective advertising options? Except fliers, all the marketing options cost you big bucks and getting an assured ROI from them is totally unpredictable.

    SEM-Service brings the power of Internet to its clients. We neither get out to television or print media to sell your brand. Instead, we work on getting your company's website ranked on the top 10 results of major search engines that provides you better recognition.

    We understand how crucial its role is in the promotion of your website on the Internet, therefore, offer different useful services to site owners:

    • Review of content and its structure.
    • Technical advice on the development of website that include error pages, hosting, redirects and JavaScript usage.
    • Content development.
    • SEO training.
    • Keyword research.
    • Affordable social bookmarking.
    • Cheapest directory submission.

    How is SEO Going to Work for You?

    The main thing that SEO does is to attract people when they are searching for information on the Internet. We apply SEO tactics that are specifically meant to increase your search engine presence and thus raises your sales/leads graph.

    Why SEM-Service?

    Search engine optimization is a crucial step that can make or break your company. Therefore, it is necessary that you choose an SEO company with prior experience in the industry as well as the one that offers you competitive prices without compromising on quality. SEM-Service is one of the rarest companies that utilizes its extensive SEO experience to offer affordable social bookmarking, cheapest directory submission and most effective search engine optimization services.

    If you are planning to opt for an SEO project, SEM-Service is also offering free services to its new clients. You can get more information about the 50 free social bookmarking or directory submission schemes and many more offers provided by the SEO company on its website.

    100 Article Submission We will submit your article to 100 Article Marketing Websties and been one of the collections.

    Completion Time: ~7 Days $9.00

    Comments on this post

    • Lb1878
    • new_seo
    • Noj : ban him
  28. #15
  29. No Profile Picture
    Noj
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,280
    Rep Power
    196
    Originally Posted by EGOL
    We do not post- any articles out to syndication. None, never.
    Can I suggsest you are in a particlaulry strong position, I will make some assumptions, but I don't think they will be that wild.

    1) That you are a very skilled writer of link bait.
    2) That you a writing on sites that alreday have a very strong link profile.
    3) Most artciles you write will rank before you do off page optiomisation based, on the strength of your sites.
    4) Your sites have some social authority in their targert niche's

    In those cirumstances you take exactly the right stance, and it is 100% the corrrect thing to do.

    However that is not the fortunate (I know hard work got you there not fortune ) position most SEO's find themselves in.

    A different case study;

    A few weeks ago I was in a different situation I had a brand new site, with 30 odd pages of content (now 50), and no backlinks. No funds and no network of sites to link towards me.

    I could create 6 or 7 pieces of extra material over a 2 week period which by syndication would create my first 200 backlinks, on 50 different ip address, on relevant pages, with varied anchor text, that look like natural editorial links.

    Was that waste of the 7 quickley written articles?

    Write a great article - best on the web in its niche - then toss a link and clever description of it out to three or four good social media sites - it will often be like tossing gasoline on a fire (if your articles are really best on the web in their niche).
    Ok i'd love to get abit more detail on that or examples
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct 17th, 2006, 09:39 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Dec 1st, 2004, 08:39 AM
  3. Article URLs with mambo, SEF vs php?id=x
    By redlined in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Nov 1st, 2004, 10:30 PM
  4. Article Notification: Synergy in Search Engine Marketing
    By SEO Chat in forum SEO Chat Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Oct 18th, 2004, 09:30 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo