1. Full-Time In-House SEO'er
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Anyone "sculpt" PageRank w/ NoFollow?

Been in a debate with some colleagues. I've never bothered with it..

Anyone have any info, or tesing on it either way??
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I added nofollow to a few pages such as "privacy policy", "terms of service", etc. Those pages were PR5 before adding the nofollow. A couple months later they were gray bar instead of green and could not be found with a google search.

I have two pages with several hundred outgoing links to other sites. I nofollowed all of those links because too many people with crappy sites were asking to be listed. Before doing that the pages were #1 for terms that I would not want to give up. Now, about a year later those pages are still doing great and fewer pissants are bugging me for a link.

I have a blog that gets about eight posts per day, each post links out to a featured website or content page that I do not own. I am thinking about adding nofollow to those links because too many pissants are spamming me to be featured on the blog.

The bottom line... nofollow is a good pissant repellant.
    Last edited by EGOL; Mar 10th, 2009 at 09:51 AM.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by EGOL
    I added nofollow to a few pages such as "privacy policy", "terms of service", etc. Those pages were PR5 before adding the nofollow. A couple months later they were gray bar instead of green and could not be found with a google search.

I have two pages with several hundred outgoing links to other sites. I nofollowed all of those links because too many people with crappy sites were asking to be listed. Before doing that the pages were #1 for terms that I would not want to give up. Now, about a year later those pages are still doing great and fewer pissants are bugging me for a link.

I have a blog that gets about eight posts per day, each post links out to a featured website or content page that I do not own. I am thinking about adding nofollow to those links because too many pissants are spamming me to be featured on the blog.

The bottom line... nofollow is a good pissant repellant.
    So you feel it is pretty much useless except to stop spammers? i.e. do you not think it could emphasize the weight of the pages that are not no followed?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

PR Sculpting doesn't hugely affect SERPs, just PR score...

If an internal page that you nofollow from the main page still has lots of inbound links itself, it will get listed in the SERPs. It just won't get any PR from the main page.
  9. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

I don't think that it has huge value because I don't have very many pages that I want to cut power from.

If I had a shopping cart that had duplicate product pages then that would be a different story.
  11. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by EGOL
    I don't think that it has huge value because I don't have very many pages that I want to cut power from.

If I had a shopping cart that had duplicate product pages then that would be a different story.
    Yep, good point. you can also now use the link Canonical tag to specify which page is the default page.
    Last edited by seomonkeymanocp; Mar 10th, 2009 at 11:20 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If you look at the published sections of the Google PageRank algorithm, nofollows make sense. Every link you put on a page passes value which is relative to the number of links on the page. You don't want to make navigation difficult for users and you don't want to spread your PageRank too thin, so nofollows make sense.

All the major search engines respect nofollow and I've never had a site penalized for extensive PR sculpting, especially not of pages as banal as T&C and Privacy Policies.

I recently did an experiment where I nofollowed all links, except homepage and product index, on product pages within an online store. I saw consistent increase in rankings for all the pages. I also was able to prioritize products that competed for similar keywords.

There are also other methods for PR sculpting like meta-robots tags, robots.txt and using # in the url of pages you want to pass value elsewhere.

Give it a try before you knock it.
  15. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Go to a video page and YouTube and look at the code... see how they have used nofollow.
  17. Contributing User

It all derives from the definitions . . . .

Originally Posted by MaximumTadpole
    Been in a debate with some colleagues. I've never bothered with it..

Anyone have any info, or tesing on it either way??
    I myself try to take great care to, as you out it, "sculpt" my sites' internal PR distribution. Mind, that is only of value for a site if your chief concern is getting visitors to the front door, as opposed to any of the other pages; for my sites, that works out.

Note that none of this is guesswork: it is all implicit in the well-known definitions of what Page rank actually is (see, for example, this exposition.)

The general technique is that your front page contain links to all of your other pages or--if those are quite numerous--to a "cascade" of pages that ultimately link all pages. The point is that every page in your site has a link trail that starts at the front page. All of the links in that chain are standard (non-nofollow). Meanwhile, every page in your site (except the front page) has a standard (non-nofollow) link direct to your front page. Every other internal link is a no-follow link.

The result is that each page other than the front page has only a single outbound PR-carrying link (other than external links, which are another topic), and that link is to your front page: all the mana it has available for internal distribution flows to the front page. The effect is to "spotlight" your front page--but, remember, at the expense of the other pages. (Which have incoming internal links, but only one each).

As I say, this works well if your chief goal is getting your site noticed at all, by way of its front page. If you have other pages that you would like to also rank high on their own, it is not a good technique. Only you know which is the case for a given site.
  19. Marketroid

Exclamation Nofollow Attribute

Based on my experience, acquiring nofollow links does not help any engine rankings. That's it! Link spam is too serious of a subject at engines. Unnatural links are the biggest alrorithm penalty at Google, according to JohnMu, a Google employee.

Comments on this post

• ClickyB : Off-Topic: This thread is not about getting "nofollow links" it's about PR sculpting.
    Last edited by seoman5; Mar 11th, 2009 at 12:53 AM. Reason: edited word
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I have experimented with this quite a bit and I have not managed to see any significant improvement from it. In some circumstances I see improvement, and in others the rankings actually go down. It's hard to tell what happening or if I'm just reading into randomness. All I can say is that I haven't noticed and big effects from it.
  23. Full-Time In-House SEO'er

Thanks for the responses guys..

Egol, regarding your one point:

I run one site with 15,000 articles and each article has a link to the print version of the article. The print pages do not get indexed because of the robots file, but I wonder if I am passing along some link juice for no reason...

I smell an experiment..
  25. No Profile Picture
    Google SERP Landlord

Net Effect

I get the Net Effect magazine from StomperNet and they've recently written several articles about PR architecture.

We just launched a website about 30 days ago for a Golf Magazine Top 100 Teacher, www johndahlgolf com. He's actually my father-in-law, but anyways it is the first site I've ever used PR architecture.

Granted, this site only has like 7 pages. We excluded contact, about, sitemap, and scrapbook I believe.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Comments on this post

• MaximumTadpole : cool man
    Last edited by NimbleAd; Mar 11th, 2009 at 06:06 PM.