1. SEO Professional
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Anyone know the script seochat uses to index forum pages in Google?

I've noticed that many of seochat's forum pages appear in the Google SERPS, but the pages aren't actually phpbb pages, but are html pages with meta tags and descriptions etc. Is there some specific script that does this? Or is there someone that could set something like this up for me? Thanks

Brad
    Get Your FREE SEO Guide on how I managed to grab the #1 position on Google
    for hundreds of extremely competitive keywords...

==> Get FREE Google Ranking Guide Here!
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by callenb
    I've noticed that many of seochat's forum pages appear in the Google SERPS, but the pages aren't actually phpbb pages, but are html pages with meta tags and descriptions etc. Is there some specific script that does this? Or is there someone that could set something like this up for me? Thanks

Brad
    It's called mod_rewrite - not a script but a module that runs within Apache web servers and is commonly used exactly for this type of result. You can read more here:
    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html
    and here:
    http://forum.time2dine.co.nz/showthread.php?t=98&pp=6

The second example is specific to vbulletin which is what this forum uses (not phpbb).
  5. SEO Professional

Yep, I'm very familiar with a mod rewrite, as that's what all of my forums have. But, the problem I have is that the forum pages indexed by Google don't contain meta tags or "good titles". This is a problem because although Google does index the pages, it views them all as similar pages and indexes them without a title, or description. It just shows up as a URL...

Would you know how to do a mod rewrite for phpbb's that could include meta tags? I'd be willing to pay you for a little help here.
    Thanks

Brad
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by callenb
    Yep, I'm very familiar with a mod rewrite, as that's what all of my forums have. But, the problem I have is that the forum pages indexed by Google don't contain meta tags or "good titles". This is a problem because although Google does index the pages, it views them all as similar pages and indexes them without a title, or description. It just shows up as a URL...

Would you know how to do a mod rewrite for phpbb's that could include meta tags? I'd be willing to pay you for a little help here.
    Thanks

Brad
    It's in the CMS variables I use them on my site as well. You create a variable say {title} then you feed that into the meta tags as you like. So as long as you're on a database driven site with php or similar where the html is generated dynamically you select the title or anything else as a variable and you can create a unique meta tag for each article or forum page.

Be careful though as it's really easy to get penalised for keyword stuffing using this technique.
  9. SEO Professional

Ok, cool. Thanks for the help.

Brad
  11. EAT LEET!
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Nice tidbit of information here.