1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Is any traffic good traffic?

I have good website about pest control, for my business. Pretty good traffic, about 1000 visitors per day.

Recently I saw a funny viral YouTube video, featuring a funny song. I searched for the lyrics online, and finding no page featuring them, I listened to the song carefully and created my own lyrics page for the song, and I posted it on my pest control website with appropriate anchor text, title, etc. I just did it for laughs, because I like the song, and wanted a lyrics page to exist on the internet.

I immediately got #1 Google ranking, due to zero competition, and got a ton of visitors, doubling my daily traffic to my pest control website.

The thing is, while I make money from my pest control website, and it's important to my business, this song lyrics page does nothing for me. I'll never make a cent off of it, nor do I want to.

My only question is: does this lyrics page, now the most popular page on my site by far, affect how Google treats the rest of my website? Does it decide that I'm no longer a pest control site but a music site, or viral meme site? Will this harm the traffic for the rest of my pest control pages?

Or is the opposite true - is any traffic good traffic? Is it possible that this popular page, which has increased the total viewership of my site, will improve the rankings for my other pest control pages?
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    All relevant traffic is good traffic... The traffic to your lyrics page will not hurt you, nor will it harm you. But, that traffic is irrelevant to your pest control business. I would rather have 100 relevant visitors with 25% conversion than 1000 visitors with only 1% conversion. Traffic is nice, but conversions are the bottom line.

A way to monetize that traffic to the lyrics page is to add some Google Adsense ads to it. If you add other pages of lyrics to that section of your site, you can also monetize those.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

well traffic can be come from anywhere if it is relevant it won't hurts you and you can profit and if it is irrelevant not according to your category then it hurt's.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I would try to keep your site clearly targeted. If you like this page throw it up on another domain. I don't know the current cost for a domain but you should be able to find it in your couch.

If there is too much traffic I would split the hosting plan to a cheap $8 plan or something so the volume doesn't effect your main sites speed.
  9. No Profile Picture

I believe that your traffic should be relevant. Adding that much traffic all at once could trigger red flags for Google.
  11. No Profile Picture

If you understand your website traffic are relevant or irrelevant to please see your website bounce rate if your website bounce rate more 70% then your website traffic are irrelevant and if your website bounce are lower then 40% your website traffic are relevant
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    All relevant traffic is good traffic... The traffic to your lyrics page will not hurt you, nor will it harm you. But, that traffic is irrelevant to your pest control business. I would rather have 100 relevant visitors with 25% conversion than 1000 visitors with only 1% conversion. Traffic is nice, but conversions are the bottom line.

A way to monetize that traffic to the lyrics page is to add some Google Adsense ads to it. If you add other pages of lyrics to that section of your site, you can also monetize those.
    I agree totally with you SEO _ AM