1. Growing
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Any reason not to use Google Authorship for each page of a website

Helloes,

So we're going to set up Google Authorship on the news blog part of our website. it's a Wordpress site, so all blog 'posts' will have the rich snippet in the SERPs

I was thinking..

Is there any reason not to use Google Authorship for each page of a website, including all the main landing pages? It will increase the CTR, so why not?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

1) Who says it'll increase CTR? Make sure you have proof of this.
    2) There's really likely no real reason not to do this, other than a general sense of unease about giving more information to Google. Anything you say can and WILL be used against you at some point by Google.

And if you don't have proof that i'tll increase CTR (proof, not 'sure hope it does, because my SEO guy assures me it will') then I guess the counter question is, why would you?

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : Agree that authorship might not increase CTR. It could go down.
    • JBacchi agrees : I treat Google like the IRS, I don't volunteer anything
  5. Growing

Hmm,

Interesting.

Searching around, I can only see people talking about how it increases CTR. I guess this is kind of a new thing?

authorship improve ctr - was my search phrase

I wonder if like, on a legal website for instance, where trust is key, and your photo is of an older guy, professionally taken portrait, if that might build more trust.

I may have to experiment.
    Last edited by Seed Tree; Jun 7th, 2012 at 03:21 AM.
  7. Growing

Also,

An article here where the author speaks to the Directors of a number of large internet marketing firms and they all say it will increase. Seems to be common knowledge?

http://econsultancy.com/uk/blog/9704-ask-the-experts-how-will-rel-author-affect-seo
  9. Poker Chick
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Suppose at some point you want to sell your website. How will you denounce your association with the site if you're all over it as author?

I would do it if there was a way to have my company as author vs. me as an individual.
    Frankly, I wonder who Frank is and why he has his own adverb.
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Seed Tree
    Also,

An article here where the author speaks to the Directors of a number of large internet marketing firms and they all say it will increase. Seems to be common knowledge?

http://econsultancy.com/uk/blog/9704-ask-the-experts-how-will-rel-author-affect-seo
    Common knowledge on SEO on the internet is frequently incorrect. Rich text snippets increase CTR. So does video apparently. So does a better meta description tag. So does a higher ranking. Few people do all of them. Be aware, the benefits are not as easy as 'higher CTR', and there may be drawbacks.

Secondly, this is another Google initiated bit of info. They are doing it for their benefit, not yours. Any benefits you receive will be secondary, incidental, and tangent to the purpose of this tag which is for Google's benefit. There's some possibility this could be used against you in the future too.

What if you do this authorship tag all over the place, then you do something that is OK right now with Google, but later they decide is bad. You just signed your name to the bad stuff in a way Google can find in an automated fashion. How nice for them. You're also stamping every single thing you do with the phrase 'I do SEO'. It's a hella big footprint - because the only people even looking at this are either SEO's, or companies that use SEO. Google (and parts of the SEO community) are promoting this - there's not a single 'average' business that's even heard of this stuff. Your tolerance may be higher than mine.

Just be careful, and don't believe everything you read on SEO. particularly when it's bleeding edge stuff. SEO companies are in the business of selling the latest tidbit to their clients, of being up to date on all this stuff, and talking about it like it's going to increase your rankings. that doesn't mean it's what you should do (I don't use social media for example - does nothing for me).
  13. I am never in denial

I recently put this to the test on my business blog. Here are the results:

April 2012 - with author tag: Average of 36 clicks per day to my blog posts over 30 days.

May 2012 - without author tag: Average of 34 clicks per day to my blog posts over 30 days.

Of course there are many other variables that can alter these results.

It is advisable to use microformats, but the CTR depends on the search term.
    For example: A review website using the 'count' microformat to display stars in search results will most likely increase CTR for '[product] reviews' searches.

My opinion:
    People are familiar to scanning the top 10 for bold text. More bold text = more relevant to search terms in most cases.

Where to use it:
    I would suggest only using the author tag on personal pages, i.e. blog, self promotion, freelancer. Using it on a businesses home page could put the uptight potential clients off.

Question - Any reason not to use author tag:
    No reason not to use it. It may increase your CTR, it may not.
    Your potential visitors search terms will determine your CTR.
  15. Growing

Originally Posted by JBacchi
    Suppose at some point you want to sell your website. How will you denounce your association with the site if you're all over it as author?

I would do it if there was a way to have my company as author vs. me as an individual.
    Thanks guys, this was the response I was hoping for.

@JBacchi, I had thought about this before and am I'm actually using a pseudonym so we can sell it with the website if it comes to that.

The website is legal in nature and in a sector of law where trust is a particularly massive factor. I'm going to experiment with a few pages. The image is a middle-aged, silver-haired wise and friendly-looking chap in a nice suit and he's a guest author for a few legal publications. We'll see if this helps with the CTRs and I'll post the results.
  17. Poker Chick

The website is legal in nature and in a sector of law where trust is a particularly massive factor. I'm going to experiment with a few pages. The image is a middle-aged, silver-haired wise and friendly-looking chap in a nice suit and he's a guest author for a few legal publications. We'll see if this helps with the CTRs and I'll post the results.
    Here's the real experiment - use more than one author image and see if the image matters. Say you use a trustworthy image and a not so trustworthy looking image. Which one gets the higher CTR?

I'm going to try it on my site. (My image will be the seedy one. hahaha)
    Last edited by JBacchi; Jun 7th, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
  19. Contributing User

Thanks guys, this was the response I was hoping for.

@JBacchi, I had thought about this before and am I'm actually using a pseudonym so we can sell it with the website if it comes to that.

I'm in the final stages of publishing a book that I coauthored with a variety of top notch folks in my niche. One person did what you did - uses a pseudonym to stay anonymous. It looks mickey mouse. Either use your real name or GTFO. If you don't, either you're not actually producing serious results, or it will come back to haunt you later.

I'm an expert in my field and work to be portrayed as such. That + networking means I get traditional national media exposure. I'm not getting that exposure if I'm using a pseudonym.

In short, what you're doing is not developing trust. Not when you're foisting what is basically a fraud on readers. It's like sending link request emails from 18 year old Jennifer McCoy when you're actually a 50 year old fat white guy. People also tend to see through it.

Just an opposing viewpoint.
  21. Growing

Originally Posted by wheel
    I'm in the final stages of publishing a book that I coauthored with a variety of top notch folks in my niche. One person did what you did - uses a pseudonym to stay anonymous. It looks mickey mouse. Either use your real name or GTFO. If you don't, either you're not actually producing serious results, or it will come back to haunt you later.

I'm an expert in my field and work to be portrayed as such. That + networking means I get traditional national media exposure. I'm not getting that exposure if I'm using a pseudonym.

In short, what you're doing is not developing trust. Not when you're foisting what is basically a fraud on readers. It's like sending link request emails from 18 year old Jennifer McCoy when you're actually a 50 year old fat white guy. People also tend to see through it.

Just an opposing viewpoint.
    Cool, thanks. Good luck with the book.
  23. Poker Chick

Originally Posted by wheel
    Lots of very famous authors use a pen name. Just saying...

Ann Landers used the same image for a 100 years and it didn't hurt her.
    Last edited by JBacchi; Jun 7th, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I don't think it will increase the CTR.