1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

another redirect question

Posted this in another topic, but I'll try it here also:

I am trying to optimize a page that has a redirect. The page has no content except for a script tag that detects flash or not and then forwards the user to the flash or html page. The problem is that since all of my backlinks must go to this Flash checker page first, this is all that Googlebot sees, and since it won't read the Javascript, it doesn't know about the page with the actual content. My question is if I include a static hyperlink inside the body of the code, will this solve the problem? This way, users would be redirected before ever seeing the link, but the search bots would see it and be able to navigate to the real page, right? Or is there a more efficient way to do this, maybe in robots meta tags?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

You could check for spiders and just 301 them to the html version, or leave a big fat link for them to see. Just make sure that visitors can see this link too (e.g. lynx users).
  5. No Profile Picture

How do I check for spiders and redirect them without it affecting users as well? Since 301 redirects are written on the server side, and the flash checker happens on the client side, how would I do this? Are you saying that there is a way to do a 301 redirect that only redirects the spiders? How would you do that in Apache or IIS?

Originally Posted by uberdose
    You could check for spiders and just 301 them to the html version, or leave a big fat link for them to see. Just make sure that visitors can see this link too (e.g. lynx users).
  7. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I would offer the HTML option at the main location and then offer the flash version. I tmight not be that favourable but it is realy a question of how prepared you are to risk your SERPs.
  9. No Profile Picture

Instead of redirecting your clients automatically, just give them the option to view flash or html versions of your site.

This would not only direct the robots to the content, but will make the site user-friendly. When I'm at home I dont like looking at flash sites because I have a rather slow connection, but at work I prefer the flash version, its nice to be able to choose, even though I have the plug-in installed! Remember that PR and content is not related!

Good luck
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you do it this way, you should probably make sure to include an entry in your robots.txt file not to spider the flash directory so you are not penalized for duplicate content.

Originally Posted by daler
    Instead of redirecting your clients automatically, just give them the option to view flash or html versions of your site.