1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Anchor text link for Google. So confused

Hi all

I have a question in regards the anchor text link I been doing some reading but I would need some one experience to clarify few things for me

Lets say for example I want my website to rank high for key words such as carpet cleaning Sydney and mattress cleaning

So my anchor text would be:

</p>PrimeClean is a professional <a href="http://www.primeclean.com.au"> <strong>Carpet Cleaning Sydney</strong></a> based and <a href=”http://www.primeclean.com.au/MattressCleaningWarning.html”><strong>Mattress Cleaning</strong></a> service provider.
    For more information feel free to visit www.primeclean.com.au </p>

My question is:

Can I have more than one anchor text? And also can they both direct to a different landing pages?

Or can I just have carpet cleaning Sydney and mattress cleaning in one hyperlink and directed it to my home landing page?

Also I would have to switch my keywords around?

So for example every 100 links I would have instead carpet cleaning Sydney, carpet cleaning in Sydney?

If I have carpet cleaning Sydney based provider would I still rank high to carpet cleaning Sydney? Since it’s in the anchor text link?

Am I correct?

Any advice guys?

Thanks all
  3. Twitter: @barlow1984
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

i think that Google is much more sophisticated than that. Your links should be as natural as possible not just spam loads of links with the same anchor text.

Also the text around the link is useful, for example it should be talking about sydney cleaning or cleaning in general not about something completly different.

There is a video on Matt Cutts blog that helps with this a little.

Comments on this post

• Emerson agrees
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Sami

Google wants natural relevant links , as your services are based in sydney i would suggest to get your links on those sites which are based in sydney

yes you need to rotate anchors , dont just push your 1 anchor text , rotating anchors is always good , try to add a small description in it and yes you can hyperlink you different landing pages from a piece of text.

I hope you got the answer , post if you have any more queries

Cool Rider

Originally Posted by Sami Gabrail
    Hi all

I have a question in regards the anchor text link I been doing some reading but I would need some one experience to clarify few things for me

Lets say for example I want my website to rank high for key words such as carpet cleaning Sydney and mattress cleaning

So my anchor text would be:

</p>PrimeClean is a professional <a href="http://www.primeclean.com.au"> <strong>Carpet Cleaning Sydney</strong></a> based and <a href=”http://www.primeclean.com.au/MattressCleaningWarning.html”><strong>Mattress Cleaning</strong></a> service provider.
    For more information feel free to visit www.primeclean.com.au </p>

My question is:

Can I have more than one anchor text? And also can they both direct to a different landing pages?

Or can I just have carpet cleaning Sydney and mattress cleaning in one hyperlink and directed it to my home landing page?

Also I would have to switch my keywords around?

So for example every 100 links I would have instead carpet cleaning Sydney, carpet cleaning in Sydney?

If I have carpet cleaning Sydney based provider would I still rank high to carpet cleaning Sydney? Since it’s in the anchor text link?

Am I correct?

Any advice guys?

Thanks all
  7. iTokas CEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

You can use as many anchor as you want, because organic links never come with same anchor, thus google should not have any problem with different anchor texts.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Barlow1984 can you give me an example on how I can make my link as natural as possible in google’s eyes? Or do you think my link is fine?

CoolRider so I would have to get links from websites which are in the cleaning industry and relevant to me but not in direct competition with me..maybe even delivering the same services as me but in a different state.

When you guys say try a small description or make you link looks as natural as possible does that mean for example have my anchor hyperlink text “Professional carpet cleaning service provider in Sydney” would I still rank high for carpet cleaning Sydney ?

Because my understating from what I been reading about anchor text and looking at my competition anchor text after doing back links checkups on them all what they had in there anchor text is “ carpet cleaning Sydney” or just “ carpet cleaning” that was the hyperlink part

Thank all

Sami
  11. Twitter: @barlow1984
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I think that the text in the link is a very small part of if you rank well or not. Have your tried the 'link:' syntax on yahoo to check what sort of anchor text your competitors are using?

What I meant in my previous post is that spiders wont only look at your anchor text so stuff it with as many keywords as possible, it looks at surrounding words and it will change to order itself if needs be. Having your synonyms and keywords variation on page would help though too.
  13. No Profile Picture

我如何优化gg

i come from china。i like seo
    Last edited by asuka; Sep 24th, 2009 at 10:53 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture

i vary the anchor text based on the google search suggestion term.It gives a variety of keywords with similar meaning.Just using the same anchor text all the time is harmful.
    And for natural link building you should target inner pages as well not just the home page.
  17. No Profile Picture

Right, you should use variants of your main keywords in anchor text but not just simply repeat them.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ok im kinda still confused i want to get this right before i start building links...

Let me be more specific in my question

The keywords I wand to target are carpet cleaning Sydney and mattress cleaning

If I have my anchor hyperlink is experts in carpet cleaning Sydney would I still rank high for my specific keyword, which is carpet cleaning Sydney?

Yes or no?

Or do I have to be specific in the keyword I want to target and have it only carpet cleaning Sydney?

thanks all
  21. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Extomas
    You can use as many anchor as you want, because organic links never come with same anchor, thus google should not have any problem with different anchor texts.
    NEVER!!!!! ... Please do not give advice that is complete rubbish!
    Live the moment
  23. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by barlow1984
    What I meant in my previous post is that spiders wont only look at your anchor text so stuff it with as many keywords as possible, it looks at surrounding words.
    Another person making this claim. It is a rumor I have never seen any evidence that words near the anchor text make any difference to anything (Other then just the general page/site relevances and themes). It makes no sense for google to assign increased relevance to words near anchor text. please offer some evidence for this claim if you have any..

Comments on this post

• dzine agrees : I'd like to see proof as well
  25. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by Sami Gabrail

Yes or no?
    It is not that simple. Specifc AT will help you rank better for those AT and long tail search terms that contain those AT. But AT are only one ranking factor.

Some general tips.

If possible vary the ATs a bit and also try to get some links pointing to internal pages. Make sure (if possible) you have the rest of your targeted longtail search terms included in the content. But write the content for the user not the SE. ie it must make sense to the user.

In many ways 'less is more' a single keyword in AT gets 100% of benefit. 2 words only 50% each (not that straight forward but you should get the idea). So long sentences rob words of benefit.

Good luck
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

gazzahk thanks for clearing that one out...any more advice you can provide me or point me to some reading i can read about anchor text ?

thanks mate

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    It is not that simple. Specifc AT will help you rank better for those AT and long tail search terms that contain those AT. But AT are only one ranking factor.

Some general tips.

If possible vary the ATs a bit and also try to get some links pointing to internal pages. Make sure (if possible) you have the rest of your targeted longtail search terms included in the content. But write the content for the user not the SE. ie it must make sense to the user.

In many ways 'less is more' a single keyword in AT gets 100% of benefit. 2 words only 50% each (not that straight forward but you should get the idea). So long sentences rob words of benefit.

Good luck