1. SEO Theorist
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

The Amazon Effect?

I was just reading a thread on SEO Guy, where Seo Guy describes something called "the Amazon Effect". Here: http://www.seo-guy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1193

This effect shows how a PR0 page on Amazon or Seo Chat can easily outrank pages of a higher PR which are specifically optimized for a certain keyword. This effect also explains the power of pages from Ebay, Brittanica and other titans.

This Amazon effect is very interesting, it is almost an anti-sandbox: These authority sites have pages that can rank #1 with virtually no PR. Conversely, sandboxed domains with PR6's will not be in the top 400. It seems that ranking is no longer determined just at the page level, but also by the domain itself.

Google probably uses a concept of SiteRank, which measures authority at the domain level.

Does anyone have any ideas how a site can attain such a lofty status? Is it determined by the number of listings in DMOZ and the Yahoo directory? The number of pages on the site? Site age? Links from .edu's and .govs? Fresh content?
  3. Contributing User

You are right, and yes it's true. There are many rumors as to what makes a site an authority, but I hope you understand I will not post my results on a public forum. This is just tooooo important right now.
    One thing... .edu and govs have always been more important that other extensions simply because it is proven that their content IS not spammy and useful. That's why you and I won't be able to register such a domain.
  5. SEO Theorist

Also, I might add, most references to "authority", in SEO, consist of the definition given by the Hilltop paper. In this case they measure authority at the page level, and is determined by the number (and quality) of hubs a certain page is listed in.

As far as the Amazon effect goes, it seems to be using a different concept of authority, as compared to the Hilltop algorithm. Hilltop is only concerned with the authority of a page.

In reality, I think we are seeing evidence of sitewide authority, or complete lack thereof (aka, Sandbox/March filter).
  7. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Thanks for posting this. Interesting. I need to start lurking over at SeoGuy's and start working on the EGOL effect. Also interesting how he told the hotel guy to get rid of the menu.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  9. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Can't wait to hear about the EGOL effect... lol
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...