1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Am I Spamming Page Titles?

background:
    we sell 7,000 variations of different "widgets".
    i.e. - "red widget", "green widget", etc.

however, our industry is so competitive that even "red widget", "green widget", etc. are highly sought after phrases.

my idea was to focus on "discount red widget", "discount green widget" for optimization to try and stay more focused.

question:
    by making "discount X widget" 7,000+ times with only the "X" changing for each page under the same domain as my page title, am i spamming? will i be penalized?

thank you all in advance for your advice.

-Scott
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

That is not spamming, so long as your title says "discount x widgets" and the page is about discount x widgets. Spamming would be "discount x wdgets - cheap x widgets - inexpensive x widgets" IMHO

you really have 7,000 pages of the same item distinguished by 1 word?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks brandall. i should have been more clear..... 7,000 products that are all the same thing used in different applications. each widget is a totally different item, but yes all 7,000 are widgets.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

most are distinguished by 1 word, many are distinguished by no more than 2 words.
    thanks again.
  9. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If you have genuine pages for different products this isn't spamming in my opinon, but google has not been kind to sites lately that have lots of pages with one or two words swapped in and out. They start dropping out of the SERPs even though they are in the index.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks EGOL, but now i am concerned
    this is an unrelated example:
    discount sony ml500 headphones, discount sony ml700 headphones, discount bose rf457 headphones, discount bose rf6129 headphones, etc.

knowing this is close to my examples, do you still think i would be victim of falling?

thanks for helping out EGOL.

-Scott
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Scott H
    thanks EGOL, but now i am concerned
    this is an unrelated example:
    discount sony ml500 headphones, discount sony ml700 headphones, discount bose rf457 headphones, discount bose rf6129 headphones, etc.
    I believe EGOL's example was in reference to the content of your page, not to the title. In other words, if you take a boiler plate product description and simply swap out a couple of words representing the products name, you will likely see duplicate content penalties leading to many (or all) of those pages losing position in the SERPs or being removed from the index all together. I believe that if your titles are very similar, but accurate and relevant to he page content, and each page has significant, unique content, you should be fine.
  15. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Right... my reference was to one or two words plus an image or two being swapped across the entire page content (even if those one or two words are swapped dozens of times across the page)... those sites now have a limited lifetime from what I have seen.