1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Am I setting up a link farm???

This may sound stupid but I am curious to know if what I am doing is considered a "link farm". I work for a national organization of auto repair shops. I am setting up a website for each of nearly 2,000 shops. I am at 50 for the moment so still quite early in the game. I figure I will host about 200 - 500 sites per server as they are very small and don't get a lot of traffic.

Anyway, the way I am setting this up is that I have a centralized database that all shops connect to. THen on each shops individual site (with individual domains) I have a directory of ALL other shops on a series of four pages broken down by State - County - City - Individual Shop(s). Take a look - http://www.dancotransmission.com/automatic-transmission-directory.asp

If you navigate all the way to an individual shop you will see a link to another shop's website. For the moment I have a rel="nofollow" tag on links going out of the site to other shops. I'm not trying to "game" anything here but as all of these shops are related to one another it seemed logical to incorporate reciprocal links between them.

My concern is being viewed as a link farm which I certainly want to avoid.

Please help.
  3. Contributing User

Sorry, didn't look at the link but 500 sites on the same server all interlinked should raise a flag somewhere.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Yes. In all likelihood, you'll get all sites banned before long if you remove the nofollow.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Isn't that something. Ideally as all sites belong to a national organization and it would only be logical to link them all. But glad I thought of the issue and I will not remove the rel="nofollow"

Tom
  9. Ditzy
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Risky biz

Originally Posted by thall89553
    This may sound stupid but I am curious to know if what I am doing is considered a "link farm". I work for a national organization of auto repair shops.....
    How much money and influence do you have?

I work on a site who's served by an organization that hosts over 900 dealer websites. (amazed I haven't checked but theres not much I can do about it).

The fact that all these sites are run off of one basic script confounds me too. They sell a site and only come up with new graphics for it. All_the_links_look_exactly_the_same/except_for_the/[companies name].

They all have pretty much the same basic content on these urls that are almost exactly alike, ...and all the dealerships are linked from the main site thru drop down boxes. I've heard many say drop down boxes can't be spidered(?)

I've somehow managed to get our site ranked #1 for two of the lines we sell. The phrases only return 5 million results, but its a lucrative phrase. I think the traffic (and links) we get from themed sites helps alot.
    Last edited by crxvfr; Dec 12th, 2005 at 03:49 AM.