Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Exclamation All my pages showing no title or description

Over the past week, I have noticed a disturbing trend with my pages in Google. It started with the major (highest PR) pages: they remained in Google, but they were not showing a title or description. As a few days passed, the same started to occur and now most of my pages in the index are showing this way. They are still in Google, and some are holding rankings (due to anchor text, I assume).

It is alomost as if there were "noindex" meta on all of the pages, but there are none.

This has happened for multiple domains, all on the same hosting account. I use .htaccess to redirect some domains to sub-folders, a technique that had worked fine for many months with out issue.

Here is an example from my Seinfeld site. Most of the pages are showing no title and description. Take a look at multiple pages of the SERPs to see what I mean.

I just checked my logs for the past 5 days.

Googlebot is coming, but ONLY requesting images and XML files (some of which don't exist: rss.xml, etc. - I have read similar reports on this, but that's a separate issue...)

Is it possible that the "HTML bots" (if such a distinction exists) have their DNS screwed up and can't find the pages? Any other potential causes?

I hate to use the "B" word, but could this be a ban? If so, why? Toolbar stills shows PR, backlinks are still reported -- but after the next PR update, who knows?
  3. No Profile Picture

same problem

Exact same problem with a PR 7 site - backlinks and PR are fine, rankings have disappeared for most of my terms, and the page is still in the index without a title or description. There are a number of other users posting similar problems - sounds like it could be a Google indexing issue. (I haven't made any changes). I'm just going to sit tight and wait for a re-indexing.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I had the same problem and I know this is very frustrating because the traffic goes down too but google will start to show again title and description as soon as googlebot revisit your pages (it may take some time if you don't have a high PR).
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply, ascentus. Sorry to hear that you are having a similar issue, alhtough it does offer some hope that the cause may be a Google issue. Do you mind if ask the URL of your site? (Send privately via my profile, if you prefer) Thanks.
  9. No Profile Picture

Mark - sorry, wish I could, but clients wish to preserve privacy. I can tell you this much - I have seen competitors sites in different categories disappear with the same problem, and have not re-appeared yet. They are still displaying PR, but no rankings.

I first believed this to be an issue with my site being down, however with all these complaints appearing, this could be a Google change, or even a Googlebot problem.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

One of our new clients sites has had this happen. It was OK yesterday and vanished overnight. I've seen this happen before, eventually it came good. I hope it does this time too.
    Derryt
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This happes to us all the time, mostly when we replace complete directorys of static catalog pages. If you go and check you will see that google has no cache of the page, but does recgonize that a html document exist, possibly one robot database relates to the file and another the cache and they are eventualy cross-indexed. That is when the title and all other page information shows up in cache. Seems to be the way it works on our site, we have about 60,000 pages per directory so it takes a loooong time...
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I've had this happen with a few of my sites before. It was specific to only my sites that I host with the same company (my other sites, not hosted with this company were fine). After an update, everything was back to normal again (minus the lost traffic, of course).
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Scott.G
    This happes to us all the time, mostly when we replace complete directorys of static catalog pages.
    At least this part is similar. My sites are power by a CMS that produces (mostly) static pages. At times I do rebuild large sections of these sites at the same time.

What concerns me most is that GoogleBot is not requesting these pages, but it requesting images and XML files. Some of the pages in question are high-PR6, PR5, etc. I don't usually pay close attention to Gooblebot activity, but I do know that my higher PR pages would get updated by Google about every 2 days, until recently. To other experiencing this problem, is this type of Googlebot activity consistent with your experience?

It is almost as if the records in the Google index have "expired" (of course I am worried that they will fully expire in a few days, disappearing altogether). Google knows about the pages, but only based on previous crawls. While some of pages have external backlinks, many do not (the only way Google could know about these pages is by crawling the site).

I hope this is just some Google error/bug, but I have never seen this before on this scale (20,000+ pages lost their description and title, within about one week). The fact that it is affecting more than one domain on the same IP makes me wonder about DNS-related issues....
  19. No Profile Picture

the same happened with my page, and google visited my page 7/3 last time and nothing changed. there is nothing else to do than wait?
  21. No Profile Picture

Update

A quick update:

-lost 10,000 listing Google (completely) so far

-as postive sign, I foudn two pages in Google with a July 12 fresh date

-another positive sign, Googlebot has now (starting yesterday) started requesting HTML pages from my sites.

Hopefully in a few days the listings in the SERPs will return....
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you add more inbound links the pages may begin to show up again very quickly, at least thats what I have found.

Whenever I see this starting to happen I add some link partners and the problem solves itself right away.

This has happened to me on several sites and I believe that the issue is that Goole only caches a given number of pages for each site based on the sites PR and inbound links. Either that or the new links get the pages respidered.

Whatever the reason, it's the solution that has worked for me.
  25. No Profile Picture

You're absolutely right, TheJedi. The more inbound links that a page (or site) has, the higher the frequency and depth that Google will crawl.

However, that isn't the issue in my case.

Google is continuing to grab pages today, so hopefully the problem - whatever it was - has been fixed. It will take a few days to tell for sure, of course.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Mark, the homepage of your Seinfeld site does come up with an all grey bar when I click on it.

Prog shows it as being a PR5, but my tool bar is flat grey.

Anyone else see this or is my toolbar messed up?
  29. No Profile Picture

showing PR5 here.

That page is former (briefly) PR7 and has been PR6 until recently. It has plenty of links, as do pages like my Mars Rover Blog. Suddenly most of 27,000 Google listings, on several diffferent domains lost their titles and descriptions -- it's really not a matter of not enough links.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: