Thread: Algo Update ?

Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Algo Update ?

Anyone noticed anything strange today in SERPS ? (UK based sites)

I monitor a few sites and today have seen some huge swings. I am talking upto 50 places up or down on keywords that have been pretty stable.
    Other keywords for the same site are not effected which has me a little puzzled.

Its not just the 1 site, I am seeing this over a few sites at the moment so I dont believe it to be a form of an penalty and positions confirmed by manually checking SERPS.

Most odd.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I have not noticed anything. Can you give the domain that is suffering the most?
  5. Dinosaur

domain: beanprint.co.uk

on the other hand

Normally these is pretty stable with some small movements
  7. SEO Since 97

Whats with the different spellings of business?
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Chedders,,,

I got a little different results... but I included yahoo and bing.. for what its worth...it seems that from what indicated, they bing and yahoo are where your Google ranks were.

Do you think it may be do to a possible Google Mobile Index Tweak?????

I also included your domain name as a control factor,...

Comments on this post

• Chedders agrees
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

This is interesting. Like test-ok says, spelling might be a factor since a couple of the keywords with business spelt wrong have dropped, but then surely the other correctly spelled KWs would also have improved.

A mobile update could also be a good theory since it looks like- for "business cards" for instance it's position is influencing the desktop ranking.

I shall have a look at our clients and see if I spot any patterns and get back to you.
  13. Dinosaur

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    Whats with the different spellings of business?
    Just tracking what users search for, but thats a good point actually, it does appear to be miss spellings that are effected the most.
    Maybe google have included a spell checker into the algo LOL

some have however have bounced back (not all)

15. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I would expect the misspellings to be almost non existent on mobile devices... voice recognition

Google show me -- bussiness cards would automatically get translated to business cards

I am just speculating some here...
  17. Dinosaur

Oh your correct, Don't get me wrong I dont target the miss spellings, they are simply phrases I have dragged out of search console that people have searched for. So I track them for movements. I am always amused how much traffic miss spelling of words can bring you.

Today is a dip day again after yesterdays recovery, So seeing as I have made no changes this year to the site nor for the few weeks prior to Christmas I am suspecting google are testing something. The swings are too big in my opinion to be just normal fluctuations so I am thinking something has changed, its just trying to identify what.
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Google Mobile First Index testing?
  21. Dinosaur

Can I give this one a bump guys.

Seeing some really strange things since the Fred update. This site is now taking up way too much time and driving me mad now.

Firstly long tail keywords are great, Well over 1,000 of them rank well with many on the first page. Brand name is strong in SERPS and search's for the brand has increased which to me is a good sign.

So for example gas safe business cards the site is #1 in the UK and there are many other trades that they are first page if not position 1. This currently brings in a lot of their current traffic.

Prior to Fred the term business card and business cards was the bottom of page 1 / top of page 2 but since dropped daily until out of the index.
    The other keyword which I think is an indicator something is not right is the term business card printing which jumps from page 1 / 2 to out of the top 100 every few days,

There was no changes to the site and are no warnings, all spammy links I can find had been disavowed prior to the update and something I try and keep on top of.

Just after some suggestions really as I am now running out of ideas.

Possible over optimization for that keyword maybe ? Would welcome any thoughts / ideas.
  23. Digital Marketing

How has non-branded organic search traffic been impacted? How about revenue?
  25. Dinosaur

Overall traffic is down, revenue not as much to be fair.
    But a lot of the revenue comes from repeat customers so thats sort of as expected.

Dont get me wrong, the longtail traffic brings a fair amount of traffic but I know from when they used to be in the top 3 organic slots (long time ago) their old daily traffic now takes around 2 weeks

The 2 terms equal around 90k of searches a month so its a lot of missing eyeballs.
  27. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I have to say Fred came and went and I saw nothing across the board. That said from what I read a large number of sites with over monetization (excessive ads or links to affiliate sites above the fold) got hit as well as those with poor User Experiences.

From the sound of the site you are talking about we can rule out the monetization but how were they fairing in terms of bounce, time to bounce, etc. compared to the pages that survived?
  29. Dinosaur

Bounce rate is pretty good, of course can always be better but steady ish, so everything looks normal to me.

This site is my 2 daughters so family, they can be the worst to speak their minds LOL. The issue is they used to be in the top 3 and was enjoying phenomenal growth. They was attacked by a negative SEO campaign some time ago (I have talked about that a few times in the past). so I had to act quickly, I changed focus to a .co.uk version of the site while I recovered the .com as it could not even be found for the brand name. I managed to get the penalty lifted but took a few months. The amount of work put into the UK version they decided to continue with that plus the rankings where rising quite nice overall, So now the .com just provides a link to the UK site.

It was slow going but we have seen steady growth then on March 7th there was the dip for these 2 terms, after that they continued their downwards trend until not in the top 100.

Really trying not to make this a typical post of my rankings dropped why ? LOL but this one has me beat. Maybe I am too close to the site and missing something staring at me in the face.
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: