Thread: Algo Update ?

1. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Whats the domain? send it through a pm if you don't want to post it.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Well .. sounding like a broken record .. Google Mobile First indexing? Does the mobile page match the desktop version for title, content, etc.?
  5. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Sorry doodledude. Yes the site is responsive and no content is changed or hidden
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Crawler: Screaming Frog | Free SSL: Cloudflare
  7. Contributing User

So I guess that puts us about here .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUO8vfXa_d4
  9. Dinosaur

LOL, point taken.
    However you do know google have said they have postponed the mobile first update until at least the end of 2017. I have read a few speculations it basically did not work as expected so they have pulled it as the web generally is currently not ready.

I cant confirm or deny that, I am just going by what I have read so I was assuming it being mobile friendly was enough.
    I think I will have a look at the differences between the 2 indices though in more detail, the clue maybe in there somewhere.
  11. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Google wants you to pay to play at their table.
  13. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Chedders
    LOL, point taken.
    What I meant was the answer is probably right under our noses.

Also worth considering is the 'Do Nothing' approach. I wrote a blog on this when I lost a couple of rankings on one of my sites, did nothing, and they came right back after about 6 months. It was never timed with any Google updates.

However in that case I could see the SERPs were worse all round - all the results did not answer the search query and that must have ultimately set some alarm bells ringing. Not so sure that would be the same in your case.

Comments on this post

• NewDelhiSEO agrees : I agree with the Do Nothing Approach, when there seems to be nothing wrong on our side.
  15. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Any more thoughts on this guys as I have exactly the same problem. People keep blaming Fred but I don't think it has anything to do with it!
  17. Dinosaur

I did a different post as I am coming around to the idea that if your site show a list of products even on a responsive design it does not work well on a mobile.
    The thought is that the user experience is poor so for sites like this they may have been hit due to ux.

I cannot prove this yet but I am currently looking at different options to improve the ux for mobile users
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google said they did many algo updates around Fred. Check Gary's Tweets for confirmation. If the site is not over optimised and content and site quality is good I start to look at the fact Google has had a mass cull of links and their value. As link value goes back 7 generations id assume that sites linking to sites linking to your site have lost some value. In turn your back link profile is not a strong as it was pre changes. I lost some positions for sites around these updates. Ive managed to lift the site back up to P1 P5 by improving link value.
  21. Dinosaur

Thanks for the reply,
    The issue is there has been no link building as such on this site, most links are organic. Admittedly I have encouraged a few such as suppliers who have done a small write up and done case studies etc and a few customers have chosen to link (outside my control). There has been quite a few spammy ones appear over the last 12 months or so which I have kept on top of and disavowed them as they have come to light so generally speaking it should be fairly clean. I keep calling in favours with different people who have the tools to gather a backlink profile so I can examine each link but so far nothing major has sprung to light.

Test-ok spotted one link that I knew about which on the face of it is out of context so I am trying to arrange that to have a nofollow put on but its hard going as the guy who placed it is not very techy.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What if some of the sites down the chain linking to the site that links to the site that links to the site that links to yours had their link profile devalued and now the value of the links you've organically obtained are not as powerful as they were pre Fred(and what ever else they did, they've been busy this year). I still find backlinks the most powerful rank moving factor when everything else site wise is aligned right for your goals. What if your link profile is no longer strong enough?
  25. Dinosaur

Totally agree with you on losing link power generally, I just find from first page to not in index for just 2 phrases really odd.
    The site contains no advertising or affiliate links which is what what the consensus seem to think it was related to but the date matches Fred. I can only assume either some other update was applied around the same time making this a red herring or as you say its link profile has been massively down graded.
    I do however feel if it was down to the link profile there would be many other related keywords also effected which they are not.

This site I am in for the long haul as its my daughters site so I will keep plugging away trying to improve things.

I am coming around to the thought that as most of the site is targeting the singular or plural of the phrase that google may be seeing it as over optimised. These words do appear on most pages in titles, h1 tags etc. I would like to say not in a spammy way of course but I am biased. I think I will try downgrading the amount of its use to see if that improves things.
  27. Contributing User

Yes Definitely I got 2 urls on page 1 for the same site. And one main keyword for other site jumped from page 3 to the top of page 2. It is big one.
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yea that's interesting. Gary did tweet that there was more then one update.
    Its intresting that you mention over optimisation; on another forum I read two claims that users had removed over optimised alt tags on the site and they seemed to recover. Obviously we got no way to verify or even know if their cause and correlation was right. It could be worth a shot like you said above diluting those phrases a little.

im guessing you've looked at your anchor text distribution and because it's mostly organic im assuming the links are probably branded and the brand name is non related to those two phrases. Sorry if you mentioned that above and I missed it.
    I'd love to know what they're up to. Matt Cutts come home lol