1. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Affiliate links that are not no-followed.

I currently have an affiliate program that I signed up for with one of the major affiliate groups. While >500 people have picked it up, I haven't been pleased with the results. So far, after a year, it has cost me significantly more to be in the program than what I have made back from it.

So, I was considering an in house program. There is one that I am looking at that has "SEO links". The banners and text links that you give to your affiliates link directly to your site and use whatever anchor text you would like.

I can see the benefit, but I also know that it is against Google's TOS to have affiliate links that are not no-followed.

I considered scrapping my affiliate program altogether, but when I emailed my affiliates to tell them that I was soon quitting the program I had a lot of them respond to tell me they would still be in if I was running an in house program.

So, I just wondered what your thoughts were. Would you use links like this?
  3. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    I currently have an affiliate program that I signed up for with one of the major affiliate groups. While >500 people have picked it up, I haven't been pleased with the results. So far, after a year, it has cost me significantly more to be in the program than what I have made back from it.

So, I was considering an in house program. There is one that I am looking at that has "SEO links". The banners and text links that you give to your affiliates link directly to your site and use whatever anchor text you would like.

I can see the benefit, but I also know that it is against Google's TOS to have affiliate links that are not no-followed.

I considered scrapping my affiliate program altogether, but when I emailed my affiliates to tell them that I was soon quitting the program I had a lot of them respond to tell me they would still be in if I was running an in house program.

So, I just wondered what your thoughts were. Would you use links like this?
    The links will contain an affiliate id so the chances are google will pick them up as being just that.

If it were me I would insist on the links containing nofollow.
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

It would be safest to give the affiliates the code for a nofollow link. You would not want them to be penalized.

Also... I believe that google could be using reverse psychology and although not passing PR through nofollow links, they still attribute some popularity by them. Just an opinion.... nofollow links are not a bad thing.

Another opinion... I would be careful that affiliates are not slapping up doorway pages to gather your traffic...

<title>Get xxxxxxx here.

<title>Information about xxxxx here.
    Last edited by EGOL; Mar 30th, 2011 at 08:39 AM.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  7. Digital Marketing

Playing devil's advocate here...

I thought in-bound links can't harm you. Would anyone from the old clique that used to beat me senseless on this issue care to comment?

My bet is no
  9. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Would you want 100,000 links from highly manipulative websites suddenly pointing to the site that you make a living from?

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
  11. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

All excellent points!

The links will contain an affiliate id so the chances are google will pick them up as being just that.
    Wow, that makes so much sense. Google is smart. I'm sure they can pick up that these are affiliate links.

Another opinion... I would be careful that affiliates are not slapping up doorway pages to gather your traffic...
    I noticed that with the big company that I am currently with. I didn't know about setting PPC bid rules. One day, I was checking my domain name on the SERPS and the first listing on Google was an Adwords ad that directed to my site. Some Joe was likely paying 8 cents a click to send people to my site and potentially make a big commission.

With my new program I am going to hand choose who is accepted. No coupon sites...only ones that are related to mine.

Also... I believe that google could be using reverse psychology and although not passing PR through nofollow links, they still attribute some popularity by them. Just an opinion.... nofollow links are not a bad thing.
    I have wondered this myself. I think G has a lot of little rules that we really don't have a clue about.

Would you want 100,000 links from highly manipulative websites suddenly pointing to the site that you make a living from?
    Hmmm...... First of all, my list of affiliates would likely only be about 50. So, my initial thought was that G wouldn't care. It's not like I'm JCPennying my SEO. Then I thought, "Well, if they can pick up that they are affiliate links, the worst that would happen is that they get devalued."

But, now I'm not so sure. You're right...I've spent 2 years getting my site to the success that it is so far. I'd hate to jeopardize that in any way.
  13. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by EGOL
    Hell no lol. I have always said that.

I will drop this now so I don't hijack the good Dr's thread.

Comments on this post

• Dr.Marie agrees : Feel free to keep going KP!