Thread: Advice Needed

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Advice Needed

A couple of years ago a built an e-commerce site for a friend. Over the years ive improved it and he now has over 3000 items listed on his site.

He never paid me as it was a favour, so I never paid much attention to the structure of his website, nor did I bother with seo.

I am now in charge of the SEO and ive since discovered he paid a few fly by night companies a lot of money to increase his rankings.

After having a look, ive found hundreds of spam links linking to his sight.

He isnt generating any revenue really, about 500 a month, which gives him very low margins.

Now my question is, is it better to just get a new domain and start again?

***Sorry wrong thread***
    Last edited by dylanf; Nov 22nd, 2009 at 03:22 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

why would you start again? that would be bad for seo since you would need to start from scratch

if you're worried about the spam links then you have little to worry about. Google will devalue those spam links (if they catch them)

Worry about what's on your site like external links to bad neighborhoods or duplicate content WHICH can get your site penalized

Originally Posted by dylanf
    A couple of years ago a built an e-commerce site for a friend. Over the years ive improved it and he now has over 3000 items listed on his site.

He never paid me as it was a favour, so I never paid much attention to the structure of his website, nor did I bother with seo.

I am now in charge of the SEO and ive since discovered he paid a few fly by night companies a lot of money to increase his rankings.

After having a look, ive found hundreds of spam links linking to his sight.

He isnt generating any revenue really, about 500 a month, which gives him very low margins.

Now my question is, is it better to just get a new domain and start again?

***Sorry wrong thread***
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

No there is no point in getting a new domain and starting from scratch. You may clean the slate so to speak, but your also going to lose the age factor that you have for your domain and all of the good links which are pointing to it.

I wouldn't worry too much about the spam links, like banker0679 states... if Google finds them which they most likely have then they would have been devalued or will be when Google does find them.

Comments on this post

• Lb1878 agrees
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

Its much appreciated.
  9. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

For the most part, it is out of your control as to who links to you. Google knows this. You should start creating high quality content and start building higher quality links from trusted and related sites.

You've received 2 good responses prior to mine but the worst case scenario, you can always 301 redirect any old pages to new pages. This will keep the juice of any existing pages and pass it along to the new pages. Domain age works to your advantage.

Pick one aspect of the site and re-work it as opposed to making many modifications at once. (maybe navigation first) Make notes of what you have done. Once you've completed one aspect, move on to something else. This will help you gain a greater understanding about what works vs what doesnt work for the site and if there are any drastic changes in a negative way after you made a change, you can rewind and restore what was working previously.

Comments on this post

• mus09 agrees : Quality content and quality links are more effective way of negating bad history.
    • FatMedia agrees
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Chinese Proverb
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned

you can register a new domain name instead

Comments on this post

• Zagek
  13. Dancin with the devil
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by sarachris
    you can register a new domain name instead
    Can you provide an explanation for this? Explain why you feel this would be a better option?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I would register or purchase another domain IF the other domain

1. was exact match to the whole niche

2. the domain has an established history with Google for your niche