Thread: Advice?

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Advice?

Just look for advice here! I'm been in the 60's forever on google for my key-phrase. I have meta tags, title, content, all looking pretty clos eto what I want. Now it's really time to get UP in those top 20. My phrase density for my target is almost 8% on my site.

First off, how much gainage do you guys believe can be had from simply rearranging my content and meta tags? I mean, I play with this a little and seem to jump from 70 to 50, back to 70, so on and so forth. Seems like I'm maxing at 50 so far. Should I keep trying to tweak that? Do you believe I can climb more than 20 spots by changing these things? Most I can get from yo uguys on some of this is a guess, but I'd like to hear opinions for sure on Google sensativity to these things.

Also, I have javascript mouseover menus images. Is it a huge diff. to google? Debating on putting a text menu in instead, without hte mouseovers.

8% on my density, I've heard all kinds of numbers to go for. Any recommendations ona good spot? 6%? 10%?

I'm at a PR4 now, which matches several of the page 1 results, so I'm convinced I should be able to be there too. Any advice or tips on tweaking for another 30-40 spots would be great.

Thanks in advance! Sorry if my post sounds.... a little rattled. Too much coffee!

Regards,
    Mike
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

You need to reduce 8% to 5% and increase your PR from 4 to 6. Inbound links from many different sites may help greatly.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Mike, your density and on page rearrangements alone won't push you up to top20. Ranking in G is more related to your link popularity. The higher your popularity is the higher your SERPs will be. You need to work on your backlinks to move up. 8% on page density is way too much. I am sure its unpleasant for your visitors to read the contents of your page. Make it look natural not spammy.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." -- Albert Einstein
    Travel Affiliate Program
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Personally I think the keyword density matters not one jot... check the top ranked sites and see how they compare - my guess is they'll be all over the place.

Metatitles / H1's / H2's / page content will make a difference but not as much as your backlinks / anchor texts.

Try leaving all your pages for a while and keep an eye on those positions - there's a good chance u will continue to fluctuate between 50 & 70 - then you'll know if your alterations have made any difference.

Comments on this post

• brandall agrees : title tag, hx tags, anchor text and backlinks - that's where the most difference can be made
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thnx for the advice. I'll kill some of my density. Also considering buying a 3-month deal on a PR8 link. If I'm PR4, this should take me somewhere around a PR7, correct? Surely that's got to help a little. I noticed top 5 results are all PR6. Backlinks are an ongoing process with me, for sure. ALl up to this point have been "official", but PR8 link is looking tempting.. lol
  11. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike Bell
    considering buying a 3-month deal on a PR8 link. If I'm PR4, this should take me somewhere around a PR7, correct?
    No... It depends how many links are coming off the page (and whether they're all "equal") but even if yours is the only external link it will not take u to pr7... it depends how high your 4 is too, my guess would be 5. Maybe 6 if you're lucky but if they're selling links there may be a lot of them!
    And it won't help you with your serps (unless it's relevant in which case it'll help a bit) other than to get you some link trade offers!
    Last edited by ClickyB; May 23rd, 2005 at 03:41 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

If a site is in top 100, the difference is the # of backlinks. A few links from higher PR pages may not do the job, but a large # of backlinks from many sites (reasonable PR) will.
    Last edited by dejaone; May 23rd, 2005 at 03:59 PM.
  15. http://tinyurl.com/cz56g

Also note that a high PR site might not even pass PR via its outbound links. Especially if it's "known" to sell links for PR purposes. It's a shocking rumour, but not to be discounted :eek:
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by Mike Bell
    Thnx for the advice. I'll kill some of my density. Also considering buying a 3-month deal on a PR8 link. If I'm PR4, this should take me somewhere around a PR7, correct? Surely that's got to help a little. I noticed top 5 results are all PR6. Backlinks are an ongoing process with me, for sure. ALl up to this point have been "official", but PR8 link is looking tempting.. lol
    All of my testing suggests that new links are not counted right away, and don't get full value for more than 3 months. So, unless you are prepared to pay for those links for a long time, and assuming Wit's concern is not valid (which is a risky assumption I my view) ubying those links is not a good idea.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  19. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I would strongly discourage against buying PR8 links unless of course its from a themed site. Waste of money IMO.