1. No Profile Picture
    Link building genie.
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Advanced Google Optimization question

I run a sports news website and for the past 12 months I have focused the main page on two sets of keywords, lets for example say they are: "Online sports news" and "Latest Sports News"

a large % of my backlinks have some varition of the above two keywords and I am ranking fairly well these days.

However, other major sites in my industry have started changing their main page to suit whatever the main sporting event of that week is. e.g one week it may be "Superbowl sports news" the next "China Open Golf Sports News" etc.....

They change their page title, h1 tags, h2 tags and approx 30% of the text on their main page, basically they are almost re-inventing their site to suit whatever the current hot sports event is. I would like to do the same, HOWEVER, Because my anchor text has been focused on the same thing for 12 months I need a way to get a few links for whatever I am covering that particular week.

So, my idea is to change the link text to my main page in my sites navigation. I have over 10,000 pages on my site and add new content every day.

Lets presume that this week I change my sites navigation anchor text from "HOME" to "SuperBowl" then next week i change the anchor text to my home page to "China Open"

Do i run a risk of being penalised for doing this? Perhaps google will not be happy with seeing 10,000+ links changing anchor text every week? perhaps doing this one week prior to the event isnt enough time for google to count the links?

I am happy to hear your guesses on what may happen if i follow this route and i would LOVE to hear from someone that has done something similar.

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by deano6410; Apr 1st, 2006 at 06:49 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I like the idea of retooling the homepage to make it relevant for current events. Serves the visitor and might get you some traffic... plus it will get you relevant for heavy event search volume as soon as your page is crawled and cached.

IMO the anchor text takes much longer to get benefit from. I would not do it if it were my site. Instead I would have permanent internal pages for these events and would rotate them in and out of my main nav through the course of the year, giving a few months of lead time.

I do a bit of this on one of my sites that sells things that are more popular at different times of year.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. No Profile Picture
    Link building genie.

Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps I could setup a page on my site and have a list of the events I am going to cover over the coming three months (approx 12 events)

If i include a link in each to my main page with the anchor text for those 12 events then hopefully 12 weeks will be enough time for google to recognise the backlinks and I will rank higher for said events.

How does that sound?
  7. Contributing User

Wink

Originally Posted by deano6410
    Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps I could setup a page on my site and have a list of the events I am going to cover over the coming three months (approx 12 events)

If i include a link in each to my main page with the anchor text for those 12 events then hopefully 12 weeks will be enough time for google to recognise the backlinks and I will rank higher for said events.

How does that sound?
    I've done the same thing your talking about with a huge content site. The site is sort of news related to certain field and the main page content changes around once weekly. What i made is make the titles dynamic to the main page besides the main keyword i am targetting that is for example if i am targetting "Blue Widgets" as a main keyword for the homepage and i posted an article about "Guide to Choosing the Right Widget" Then the title of the page will be:

Choosing the Right Widget | Blue Widgets

Notice that the keyword that i am targetting is always in the main page while the first part of the title is being changed each time a new content is published on the main page. What benefit i found from using this way is that i found that i am getting traffic from the new content page that i publish without loosing any top rankings for the keyword i am targetting. What i mean is that if i search for "Blue Widgets" as an example that am top ranked for this keyword i still find the site top ranked for "blue widgets" having the content of the page which i was placing before on the main page. That is eventhough i changed the content of the main page and put another article and got good traffic from that article as long as its relevant to my site am still top ranked for my main keyword. What happens now after the new content is cached and i add a new page to the homepage is that the one which is no longer published on the main page will still get me traffic plus the traffic the new one will start getting me as soon as it get cached and so on. This is what i referred to IMHO as "Google Multi-Caching" in which i think google do saves several copies of your main page if you change it periodically and whenever a user searches for a page that was cached by google on the main page might show up as its currently on the main page as long as that page is still available on your site.

To make it clearer for you as i said my site got top rankings for "Blue Widgets" as all the backlinks pointing to the main page are having something similar to widgets or blue widgets in them so now if i Google "Blue Widget" i find that my site is top ranked.

And see for example:

1- Blue Widgets | Best Widgets Resource on the internet
    Blue Widgets are the best bla bla bla whatever description you want.

That's the content of the main page is still not changed when i change the content now lets say as above about Choosing the Right Widger and the title of the main page now is changed and if i Google : site:www.mysite.com i will get this:

This guide will show you the best way to choose the right widget for you bla bla bla.
    www.mysite.com

So now after changing the home page content and after having it cached by google i Google again "Blue Widgets" as the main keyword i have top rankings for and here's the result that i will get:

Blue Widgets | Best Widgets Resource on the internet
    Blue Widgets are the best bla bla bla whatever description you want.
    www.mysite.com

Eventhough that the content of the main page is different now but google is referring to the old cached copy of the main page and thus the site is still top ranked for that keyword. Plus that i will start getting good traffic from the new article i added which is about "Choosing the Right Widget". So i might get top rankings for a keyword like "How to choose the right widget" because of the new content i've added and when i google that i would get this result:

This guide will show you the best way to choose the right widget for you bla bla bla.
    www.mysite.com

Which is the content of the currently cached page and i will still get that even after i change the content of the main page again and again. This is what i got for the huge site i worked on. You might get different results but i said i would share my experience with others it might help somebody.
    Last edited by SEO-2005; Apr 2nd, 2006 at 09:05 AM.