1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Advanced 301 Question!

A massive drop in SERPs has occurred with my site over the last several months. About 4 months ago my programmer and I decided to react to some drops by implementing subdomains in place of the old long string URL's that many sites have deeplinked to over the years. I BELIEVE THIS IS WHERE WE BEGAN TO GO WRONG

We redirected to one subdomain, then a week later redirected them to another subdomain (long story). Anyway, for almost 2 months I thought the first subdomain that we redirected to were successfully redirecting to our current subdomains, but as our current subdomains began dropping out of Googles index I began doing a lot of investigating.

It turns out that the first subdomains were not redirecting to the new subdomains (although the old url strings were). However, I believe that the first subdomains already inherited all the link juice and pr of the old strings, and because they weren't redirecting to where they should have been, and coming up as blank pages with a status code of 200 (meaning a real page, not a 404), that they have been sitting in 'no-mans' land...and is the reason that our new subdomains have fallen out of the index.

So, number one....am on onto something here, and number 2, if so...is my old link power lost forever or salvagable?

Sorry for the run-on sentences and long story here...hope I reach somebody that understands what I just said and can offer some valuable advice. Thanks!
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Red face

Originally Posted by strikegold68
    A massive drop in SERPs has occurred with my site over the last several months. About 4 months ago my programmer and I decided to react to some drops by implementing subdomains in place of the old long string URL's that many sites have deeplinked to over the years. I BELIEVE THIS IS WHERE WE BEGAN TO GO WRONG

We redirected to one subdomain, then a week later redirected them to another subdomain (long story). Anyway, for almost 2 months I thought the first subdomain that we redirected to were successfully redirecting to our current subdomains, but as our current subdomains began dropping out of Googles index I began doing a lot of investigating.

It turns out that the first subdomains were not redirecting to the new subdomains (although the old url strings were). However, I believe that the first subdomains already inherited all the link juice and pr of the old strings, and because they weren't redirecting to where they should have been, and coming up as blank pages with a status code of 200 (meaning a real page, not a 404), that they have been sitting in 'no-mans' land...and is the reason that our new subdomains have fallen out of the index.

So, number one....am on onto something here, and number 2, if so...is my old link power lost forever or salvagable?

Sorry for the run-on sentences and long story here...hope I reach somebody that understands what I just said and can offer some valuable advice. Thanks!

Did I make myself clear enough, or was my question too long
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I got lost somewhere in the middle of the second paragraph

Imagine how Google felt!
  7. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

We redirected to one subdomain, then a week later redirected them to another subdomain (long story).
    If it was only 1 week I would have changed the original redirects to point to the ultimate destination(s), dumped the interim subdomain(s) and acted like it/they never existed!
    Anyway, for almost 2 months I thought the first subdomain that we redirected to were successfully redirecting to our current subdomains, but as our current subdomains began dropping out of Googles index I began doing a lot of investigating.
    It turns out that the first subdomains were not redirecting to the new subdomains (although the old url strings were).
    Not sure I understand this... If you renamed the entire subdomain but kept the structure you could have redirected everything with one line.
    However, I believe that the first subdomains already inherited all the link juice and pr of the old strings, and because they weren't redirecting to where they should have been, and coming up as blank pages with a status code of 200 (meaning a real page, not a 404), that they have been sitting in 'no-mans' land...and is the reason that our new subdomains have fallen out of the index.

It most likely will have affected your serps and PR, however - since it's too late to be sure - I would say it's pretty immaterial what happened and why, more important to get the situation under control asap.

I would change the redirects on the original domain to point to the current (ultimate) urls; and ensure the 301(s) on the interim subdomain are now working correctly.
    I would also submit sitemaps to Google to ensure they have all your existing urls mapped.
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]