1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Adding Intro page, moving home page content - PROBLEMS?

I have a small site with a lot of content on its home page that ranks for some phrases.

I'd like to create a intro page with a sleek video and enter site link - this would need adding to index.asp which currently has all my content on it, and the written content moved to home.asp

Once everything gets spidered, could home.asp rank for the terms that index.asp originally ranked for or could in incur duplicate content penalties??

tips and advice welcome!!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You won't get hit for duplicate content, as the content has moved.
    Beware, index.asp will be losing the content that the search engines like and are currently ranking
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by mikejc
    You won't get hit for duplicate content, as the content has moved.
    Beware, index.asp will be losing the content that the search engines like and are currently ranking
    do you think /home.asp will start to rank for these terms in the long run though?
  7. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Seriously, don't do this, it'll be one of the biggest mistake you ever make SEO wise on your site.

Firstly your site users don't want to watch an intro video everytime they come to your site, no matter how sleek it is, so why bother?

Secondly you are going to push your entire sites link architecture down a level.

Any terms you are ranking well for because of on-page factors on your current homepage are unlikely to stick when you shunt the content off onto what will as far as Google is concerned a brand new page.

If you really really really must have this video intro, then do it in an overlay div on your current homepage that plays over the top of the homepage content and then hides itself. Drop a cookie on the users browser so it only ever plays to them once (or at the very least just once per session). This won't screw up your rankings (it'll still annoy a good chunk of your visitors though).

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees
    Last edited by channel5; Oct 11th, 2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typos
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

thanks mate

i think the div idea is the way to go and i was dabbling in that for a while - i'll give it a go thanks