1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Above the fold & Sliders

Hello All,

I now know that large sliders don't add any benefit to seo and from what I have been reading they might cause a negative
    effect. I built my site a couple of years ago with aesthetics in mind with nice large sliders etc. However, looking at it now
    the sliders don't reall provide any useful information to a visitor other than looking 'pretty'

I am thinking of getting rid of them for smaller hero images but I rank really well for most of my pages/target audience so
    don't want to change too much - through fear of losing rankings to be honest. In your experience do you think there
    would be any benefit to removing the sliders? They are already hidden on mobile.

Thanks for any advice,

Andrew
  3. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Removing a slider won't make your website drop in ranking if this is your question.

You should always build a web page with the user in mind. Having traffic is great but if it results in a high bounce rate either because your primary content is not accessible or because your website is too slow to load, then that traffic is useless.

Removing these sliders will have the following effects:
    - Increasing the loading speed (less images, css and js to load)
    - Push your content up (user like to access the content fast)

Comments on this post

• Will-O-The-Wisp agrees
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  5. No Profile Picture

Sliders sure are pretty and hard to pass up, but like Pierre Benneton said, they increase your loading time, and push your content down. It is important to have your main focus to be above the fold and most sliders push your content down below this.

We were running some speed tests recently and found that the slider was using well over 100kb's of files.

I would experiment with removing your sliders. Perhaps condense your slider's main points into one main static graphic and use that instead. Or better yet, do some split testing!
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Let your visitors design your website! Test what works better, big images in big sliders or minimal AMP pages. What is converting the best? By letting your visitors design your website you are giving them what they want and growing conversions.

Comments on this post

• Pierre Benneton agrees : If there is no conversion on the page, then SEO is useless.