1. Professional SEO
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

About PR behaviour

For some time I've been playing with PR behaviour and some "oddities" confuse me... The question in its simplicity is:

How does Google calculate PR for a page that is not public?

I've got a "registered users only" area and yet I still see PR values for most pages. They have never been crawled (as entering them requires logging in). I got some internal links to them (in help/faq/board) , but that should not make them go PR3-PR4. Right ?

What this behaviour brings to mind, is a question "what if using a browser with Google Toolbar (with low privacy settings) sends data to G and thus helps to count PR value based on pageviews?" Alexa uses it's toolbar for this purpose, who says Google doesn't. If so, then toolbar could be used for good and bad...

Another interesting note in these private area pages is that pages with visible form fields have a much higher PR than pages with hidden form fields or plain text. (difference usually 2 points). Also if a page has lots of links to regular pages they get a higher PR. This leads me to question "Is some or all page content analysed on the fly, and if so, could the toolbar be used to hack google algo? "

These are only my observations. I've never followed PR intensively (I'm an oldfashioned SEOer who only loves word density and content) so it may be that there are simple / known ansers...
  3. Contributing User

Hi 2K,

i think its the inner PR you mean - youre Pages gets PR because youre Mainpage have PR.

If you look on www.youreurl.com/something.html you will see there PR or an white bar - and this Page have never exists but show something on the toolbar.
  5. Professional SEO

But how is this inner PR calculated?

It makes sense that a general value from site is taken to use, but... I don't get it why / how it fluctuates from page to page. Ie. private area command central gets a PR0, personal data update PR4, personal items get PR1-3 (depending on page output).

This leads me to think that some or all PR values given by toolbar might be based on content / pageviews.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

i have noticed when uploading new pages google guesses the pr.

example
    www.yoursite.com/index.html has pr 5
    if you upload anew page to
    www.yoursite.com/directory1/index.html you may see pr 4
    upload to
    www.yoursite.com/directory1/directory2/index.html you may see a pr of 3
    so ,i may be wrong, but depending on how deep the new page is google gives it a 'temp' pr even though it is not indexed yet.

this was normal before the last couple of months. since then things have been a bit wierd pr0 or pr grey.
  9. Professional SEO

but depending on how deep the new page is google gives it a 'temp' pr even though it is not indexed yet.
    All my "private pages" are in same directory, so I don't think it's up to this.

I also made a simple test: took a bunch of pages, gave them new names. The result: all got the exact same PR value as the original page. Putting them down one folder level : PR dropped by one in all cases...

Then I went a bit further: added some links, removed some links: PR changed. Then I changed textual content: no effect. Added some known "high volume elements": PR changed.

The million buck question now is: is this any use with SEO? Maybe... If the algo used by Toolbar is same as Google, then this could be a usefull tool for checking good page structure before feeding it to the bots. Before making any serious conclusion this should be tested with many sites & people.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

I got some internal links to them
    This is why you got pagerank there. If you linked from a page which got pagerank to another page, you "give" pagerank to that page. I don't know if you linked back too, but if you did than your pagerank will be even more high on the "non-public" pages. Did you check backlinks?
  13. Professional SEO

I don't know if you linked back too, but if you did than your pagerank will be even more high on the "non-public" pages. Did you check backlinks?
    Yes, I checked backlinks.
    Most of these pages don't have ANY public backlinks, ie. the Toolbar hasn't got any data to calculate PR based on incoming links. Instead it seems to form a PR value based on page element structure. If page has outgoing links, forms, images: PR goes up; tables and paragraphs: no effect whatsoever....

Must dig further into this....
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

The PR from pages which DO get backlinks is spread in parts over the rest over your non-backlinks pages, when you have internal links to it though.