Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

7 Resources for Learning About The Google Penguin Update

This guy has put toegther a great list of top quality articles about the recent update with a brief key point from each article

http://www.sparkplugdigital.com/blog/penguin-update/

Two of the best articles I have been reading about the latest Algo changes that are included in this guys list are

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2171174/Google-Penguin-Update-5-Types-of-Link-Issues-Harming-Some-Affected-Websites

http://www.micrositemasters.com/blog/penguin-analysis-seo-isnt-dead-but-you-need-to-act-smarter-and-5-easy-ways-to-do-so/

After reading these articles I know my own views have now changed quite a bit...

Edit by DarrenHaye Added 7/9/2012>

A Penguin history,diagnosis and recovery guide by Dr.Marie

http://www.mytrafficdropped.com/penguin/

Comments on this post

• prasunsen agrees : Read the microsites one yesterday - really confirmed what I was doubting. Going to check the others.
    • steviewilkie agrees : So much BS has been written on penguin. Thanks for sharing some of the better stuff.
    • PhilipSEO agrees : thanks
    • gentryliving agrees : Thanks for sharing the links. Nice article indeed!
    • europa agrees : Great job Gary!
    • EGOL agrees : SEOChat member Dr.Marie now has a Penguin/Panda diagnosis site: http://www.mytrafficdropped.com/
    • Avighna agrees
    • arunyadav123 agrees : good.. i liked it..........
    • ptuyenbg agrees : http://eratown.vn/
    • seo Shruti agrees : A resource addition to this post - A great sumup of Panda and Penguin Updates - http://www.sitepronews.com/2013/02/13/the-year-of-the-panda-and-penguin/
    • number8pie agrees : +1 Thanks for this.
    • Swathi Payal agrees : good piece of information, i really liked it...keep up
    • markellen agrees
    • capitalparamoun agrees : CP MCX: SELL SILVER BELOW 40820 TGS 40620/40400/40100 SL 41020 (7772000777) WWW.CAPITALPARAMOUNT.COM
    • ranaji agrees : hi, thanks man its simple to say use white hat techniques.
    • chhavisharma agrees : this is really nice one and informative too, I learn through it, changes about SEO strategy
    • Jessicawong agrees : Got lot of information about new updates...keep it up
    • vietnamsvisa agrees : Thank for this. That is helpful
    • altydevid agrees : Thanks for shearing information. SEO MOZ is also a good option for matt cutt's latest arlicles.
    • steve zhang agrees : WebFire Gives You 27 Easy-To-Use Software Tools To Get Instant Exposure And Fast - FREE - Traffic To Any Site In Any Niche http://www.webfire.com/a/?id=19706
    Last edited by DarrenHaye; Sep 7th, 2012 at 12:40 AM.
    Live the moment
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

nice summarized post but sorry to say i didn't find anything new and unique on said article

Comments on this post

• opukhandakar : this comment is very well.
    Last edited by ClickyB; May 22nd, 2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: removed quo
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It's nice to read tips that seem straight to the point and easy to understand although there's nothing new in it but it's a constant reminder on how we can avoid being slapped or get affected by Google Penguin.

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by ClickyB; May 22nd, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
  7. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Great find and share Gaz!

I have made the thread a sticky in the hope that people will read some of the great articles linked to in the main article

Hopefully this will give people some insight before having to ask questions here so they can try to workout what's wrong with their own sites a little easier.

Comments on this post

• number8pie agrees : Thanks for making it sticky.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  9. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

What surprises me is that people are calling networks microsites now... Bit odd, I would not really be advising that at all. Sure they could work but all that work where there is a larger risk of them all being taken out in one swoop: is it really worth while? My advice? Build a brand which can withstand these updates. Focus on building up social popularity and driving as much sticky (good user behavior stats/return visits) users as possible. You would then have to just do a bit of manual link building to try push that relevance and these would be covered by the amount of natural links your brand is receiving (even if you bought these links).
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You could add the SEOmoz posts also

That's so nice to have such good list of resources to understand the Penguine Update but I Was expecting the SEOmoz blogs also to be indexed in the list ! Thanks
    Last edited by ClickyB; May 22nd, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
  13. Extremely Googled
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by seomonkeymanocp
    What surprises me is that people are calling networks microsites now... Bit odd, I would not really be advising that at all. Sure they could work but all that work where there is a larger risk of them all being taken out in one swoop: is it really worth while? My advice? Build a brand which can withstand these updates. Focus on building up social popularity and driving as much sticky (good user behavior stats/return visits) users as possible. You would then have to just do a bit of manual link building to try push that relevance and these would be covered by the amount of natural links your brand is receiving (even if you bought these links).
    I agree. I'm really leery of the whole "microsite" concept. It sounds exactly like the stuff JC Penney did last year to get into major hot water. It might work now but what about next year?
  15. Roll the dice.. and live

An interesting article shared by PhillipSEO - Matt Cutts makes some commets

http://searchengineland.com/google-talks-penguin-update-recover-negative-seo-120463
  17. SEO Since 97

Just noticed this thread...where's it been hiding?
    good info Gaz.
    I pretty much agree with the findings. And unless I missed it I think the diversity of links should cover both types of links, not just backlinks. I also think micro sites could be micro pages rather than sites. Unless I missed something.
    Thanks gaz.
  19. No Profile Picture

Anchor Text Variation

Hi Everyone,

I'm kind of a newbie to SEO (have been working in an agency for the last 6 months).

Here's my question (albeit a dumb one). If Google is penalizing websites for over optimizing anchors texts with money keywords (I hear more than 60%), than how else are we supposed to optimize a page for keywords?

I fear that eventually, Google may do away completely with money keywords in anchor texts. As I'm aiding clients in SEO, it may be prudent to think and plan ahead.

Thanks!

Zee
  21. SEO Since 97

Originally Posted by zee007
    Hi Everyone,

I'm kind of a newbie to SEO (have been working in an agency for the last 6 months).

Here's my question (albeit a dumb one). If Google is penalizing websites for over optimizing anchors texts with money keywords (I hear more than 60%), than how else are we supposed to optimize a page for keywords?

I fear that eventually, Google may do away completely with money keywords in anchor texts. As I'm aiding clients in SEO, it may be prudent to think and plan ahead.

Thanks!

Zee
    Zee
    You need to figure out what it is google is looking for then create your plan of attack.
  23. Contributing User

Originally Posted by zee007
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Zee
    that's a good question - with little perfect answer. The problem lies in the fact that the algo changes. What is considered acceptable today may trigger a penalty tomorrow.

About two years ago I started getting inbound links to my website using my company name. That seems like a good idea now with penguin, but what about next year? Perhaps my company name will trigger a filter next time. I don't think this is outside the realm of possibility.

I think the only solution is to generalize your approach. Look at what you're doing and ask, is it generally a good idea long term? Some specific tips:
    - be very careful about leaving any types of SEO footprints. particularly if everyone is using a technique, the Google may be looking for patterns. Don't fit the pattern.
    - get a diverse blend of backlinks
    - try not to do anything to excess. If you're doing a lot of blog posts, stop and try something else.
    - Limit yourself to quality backlinks. if it's not a quality site, ontopic, etc, then consider passing.

All of that is still no guarantee.

Comments on this post

• Commerce Pundit agrees : Totally agree with the answer!
  25. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

One for the newbies trying to catch up with all the latest algo changes (particularly Penguin & Panda), this cute infographic is a good, digestable starting point...http://www.reloadmedia.com.au/searchstrategy/google/whats-the-difference-between-google-penguin-and-google-panda/
    Like my answer above? I am all over Google+! You may also like my SEO Audit Cheat Sheet.
  27. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

I am looking for the deep knowledge about the Google Penguin. How to analysis bad and irrelevant link of website, any tools for analyzing this

Comments on this post

• ttahin agrees
  29. No Profile Picture

Google Penguin is all about keywords backlink according to my knowledge, removing keywords back links is absolute need and building brand authority. To see how strong your brand search in google, if you see more then 7 result then you need to build your branded link

Comments on this post

• a4alka agrees : i heared that Google does not penalise those sites which use Google paid services like Google Adsence and Google Analytics. Google now days only penalysing those sites which are not using Google paid services. How much truth there ? Please help me.
    • seodeviner agrees : Google is updating it's algorithms regularly. Google recently updated something on 12-Feb-13 which is not officially announce
    • wongsoon agrees
    • expensetracker : A
    • jitendravaswani agrees
    • 7827581220a agrees : but this is for the anchor tags, as all the company name is not searchable
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: