Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Bread+Butter=SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    30

    Smile 40 New UPDATES from Google


    Hi guyz,

    Just saw this http://insidesearch.blogspot.com/2012/02/search-quality-highlights-40-changes.html

    Does that mean they'll be more strict on how you do your link building?
  2. #2
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,014
    Rep Power
    5750
    Thank god! Finally Google is addressing improvements in Korean spelling! It's about time.

    Serious now

    This one is interesting:
    •Link evaluation. We often use characteristics of links to help us figure out the topic of a linked page. We have changed the way in which we evaluate links; in particular, we are turning off a method of link analysis that we used for several years. We often rearchitect or turn off parts of our scoring in order to keep our system maintainable, clean and understandable.
    We often use charatersitics of links...? wonder what that means, what are the characteristics of a link they will no longer be using? Anchor text?
  4. #3
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,620
    Rep Power
    1953
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Thank god! Finally Google is addressing improvements in Korean spelling! It's about time.

    Serious now

    This one is interesting:


    We often use charatersitics of links...? wonder what that means, what are the characteristics of a link they will no longer be using? Anchor text?
    Unlikely. If I were to guess, I would guess more impact on relevance of anchor text to surrounding/body text. Perhaps bigger weight if the keyword is repeated in text, etc.
    www.joshz.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email josh@joshz.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  6. #4
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,014
    Rep Power
    5750
    Originally Posted by joshz
    Unlikely. If I were to guess, I would guess more impact on relevance of anchor text to surrounding/body text. Perhaps bigger weight if the keyword is repeated in text, etc.
    yeah I thought that also, but that's not a charactersitic of a link imo.

    Who knows, I have not seen any negative changes in my ranks.
  8. #5
  9. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,065
    Rep Power
    1764
    I'm guessing that they've greatly turned down the dial on exact match anchor text. But it's hard to say!

    Comments on this post

    • tstolber agrees : That makes a lot of sense, given the improvements in contextual understanding - chosing titls and description snippets.
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Bread+Butter=SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    30
    Maybe they'll start giving maximum value to links from porn, gambling and viagra sites ... LOL
  12. #7
  13. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,014
    Rep Power
    5750
    Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    I'm guessing that they've greatly turned down the dial on exact match anchor text. But it's hard to say!
    That's exactly along the lines I was thinking but in a more complex way. If I was Google I would give zero value to anchor text (with a ton of qualifiers), why? Because it's what we do to manipulate their ranks.

    Note: No proof here, we're just shootin' the bull....
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Feb 28th, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Bread+Butter=SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    30
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    That's exactly along the lines I was thinking but in a more complex way. If I was Google I would give zero value to anchor text, why? Because it's what we do to manipulate their ranks.

    Note: No proof here, we're just shootin' the bull....
    Are you suggesting Google to kill all SEO businesses out there?
  16. #9
  17. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    8,014
    Rep Power
    5750
    Originally Posted by IceWolf
    Are you suggesting Google to kill all SEO businesses out there?
    hmmm, interesting that you got that from my post, however your question allows me to pontificate so, I will:

    90% of Google updates are done for one reason: to take away our ability to manipulate their ranks.

    From Boston in 2003, to Panda in 2011 every major update out of Google (Cassandra, Florida, Big Daddy, Dominic, Esmeralda, Allegra, Bourbon, Jagger to name a few) has taken something away that we have been doing to change how they want to list sites in the results pages.

    (KP, is there a point somewhere in our future?)

    THIS IS WHY, it is SO important for a new SEO person to learn the history of search engines. Every new SEO person I teach gets this lesson starting on day 1 because:

    Those who fail to learn the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat it (paraphrase) ~George Santayana

    So think about this the next time you stuff your anchor full of keywords
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Feb 28th, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
  18. #10
  19. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,065
    Rep Power
    1764
    I was reading some other SEO's speculation on this and now I'm not so sure this is about anchor text. One person said that Google stated that they are turning off a ranking factor that they have used in the last few years (paraphrasing). If it was anchor text, this is a ranking factor that has been used since the beginning of Google.

    It still makes sense to me though that eventually the algo will get better at determining when anchor text is legit and when it is manipulative. As KP said, the goal of each Google algo is to take away the manipulation factor as much as possible.

    I wonder if, after a vague announcement like this, Google has employees that hang out on the SEO forums and laugh about our speculation? Seriously, it would be a great way to learn how SEOs think and how to tweak the algo the next time.
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Bread+Butter=SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    30
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    hmmm, interesting that you got that from my post, however your question allows me to pontificate so, I will:

    90% of Google updates are done for one reason: to take away our ability to manipulate their ranks.

    From Boston in 2003, to Panda in 2011 every major update (Cassandra, Florida, Big Daddy, Dominic, Esmeralda, Allegra, Bourbon, Jagger to name a few) out of Google has taken something away that we have been doing to change how they want to list sites in the results pages.

    (KP, is there a point somewhere in our future?)

    THIS IS WHY, it is SO important for a new SEO person to learn the history of search engines. Every new SEO person I teach gets this lesson starting on day 1 because:

    Those who fail to learn the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat it (paraphrase) ~George Santayana

    So think about this the next time you stuff your anchor full of keywords
    I know about all that stuff. Its strange that Google gives guidelines on SEO and everything yet they try to make it harder and harder for us. And all spammers always rank better, they make more money.

    By the way, I am not new to this, look at my registration date, I registered this account here almost after about 3-4 years being in the industry ;) I just dont find enough time to come and post mesgs here...however I keep looking at what others are saying and all about updates and everything...it is a useful forum.
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Bread+Butter=SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    30
    [QUOTE=Dr.Marie]
    It still makes sense to me though that eventually the algo will get better at determining when anchor text is legit and when it is manipulative. As KP said, the goal of each Google algo is to take away the manipulation factor as much as possible.

    QUOTE]

    Isnt SEO all about manipulating results anyway? White hat or black or whatever hat...they all try to manipulate results...
  24. #13
  25. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    3,620
    Rep Power
    1953
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    hmmm, interesting that you got that from my post, however your question allows me to pontificate so, I will:

    90% of Google updates are done for one reason: to take away our ability to manipulate their ranks.

    From Boston in 2003, to Panda in 2011 every major update (Cassandra, Florida, Big Daddy, Dominic, Esmeralda, Allegra, Bourbon, Jagger to name a few) out of Google has taken something away that we have been doing to change how they want to list sites in the results pages.

    (KP, is there a point somewhere in our future?)

    THIS IS WHY, it is SO important for a new SEO person to learn the history of search engines. Every new SEO person I teach gets this lesson starting on day 1 because:

    Those who fail to learn the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat it (paraphrase) ~George Santayana

    So think about this the next time you stuff your anchor full of keywords
    So what do you think the modification was? If we remove anchor text as an equation what would be left? The context of the link in perhaps mixed with the pages (being linked to) titles and more onpage signals?

    Not that I'm arguing, I'm curious of your (and the rest of the forums) thoughts.

    Would be a good way to pass the morning ;)
  26. #14
  27. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,065
    Rep Power
    1764
    Isnt SEO all about manipulating results anyway? White hat or black or whatever hat...they all try to manipulate results...
    Well that's the old "what is white hat?" argument. Really, anything you do to manipulate the SERPS is just that...manipulation. However, what does Google want to see? They want the most relevant site to the search query to appear at the top. They do their best, but they're not always correct!

    I wouldn't say that all SEO is sneaky manipulation. For example, if I have a page all about blue widgets and I make sure my title tag says, "Blue widgets" this is not manipulation, but rather just good practice. Now, what if I build links across the web using anchor text "blue widgets". That really is manipulation. But again, what if I have such great content that everyone who regularly writes about blue widgets links to me using the anchor text "blue widgets". That's not manipulation, that's just great content (and perhaps some good promotion on my part.)

    I'm not saying that it's unethical or illegal or immoral to manipulate the SERPS...but still Google is constantly working on the algo so that (hopefully) the most relevant sites appear at the top. We all know that they're not there yet! I really think that a good component of each algo change is making sneaky manipulation tactics less effective.

    Comments on this post

    • KernelPanic agrees : Google is always watching! Matt, pst me, I got some questions! :)
  28. #15
  29. No Profile Picture
    Bread+Butter=SEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    30
    Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    Well that's the old "what is white hat?" argument. Really, anything you do to manipulate the SERPS is just that...manipulation. However, what does Google want to see? They want the most relevant site to the search query to appear at the top. They do their best, but they're not always correct!

    I wouldn't say that all SEO is sneaky manipulation. For example, if I have a page all about blue widgets and I make sure my title tag says, "Blue widgets" this is not manipulation, but rather just good practice. Now, what if I build links across the web using anchor text "blue widgets". That really is manipulation. But again, what if I have such great content that everyone who regularly writes about blue widgets links to me using the anchor text "blue widgets". That's not manipulation, that's just great content (and perhaps some good promotion on my part.)

    I'm not saying that it's unethical or illegal or immoral to manipulate the SERPS...but still Google is constantly working on the algo so that (hopefully) the most relevant sites appear at the top. We all know that they're not there yet! I really think that a good component of each algo change is making sneaky manipulation tactics less effective.
    That still doesnt justify your comments... if you are selling Blue Widgets, the thing is WHY would you use "blue widgets" in your title? why not just company name? having a company name in title is the right thing to do unless you know Search Engines use Title as a major factor for ranking. So you are using that to "manipulate" search results really. Adding a few anchored links will rank you on top...you are manipulating results from adding content to building links... no matter how you build those links

    Comments on this post

    • Belfast agrees
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. Google says you don’t need a web site any more
    By karma_killer in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov 8th, 2006, 05:47 AM
  2. Google Adsense Updated
    By kjsingh in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:40 PM
  3. A Message For Google
    By Adrew in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Feb 4th, 2005, 05:41 PM
  4. Article: new Google feature called Google Suggest
    By dirtdog1960 in forum SEO Chat Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Dec 12th, 2004, 01:09 AM
  5. Reality & Truth - Competative Keywords -v- Real Life Searches
    By -search-engines-web in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec 27th, 2003, 05:25 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo