Thread: 301 Redirects

1. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

301 Redirects

There's a lot of information about 301ing a domain to another domain, but it seems to be different everywhere I read it.
    Lets see if we can get to the nuts and bolts on this.

Does an expired domain that shows it was likely hit by penguin and still shows to carry some PR affect a site if itís been redirected to it in the following scenarios? And yes I know the true pr is difficult to tell.
    For example: Lets use an expired domain that was selling shoes (xyz,com) and has thousands of BL that uses anchor text of the domain name (xyz,com) and say 5 percent shoe related anchor text or vise a versa.
    Scenario 1
    Redirected to another shoe site.
    Scenario 2
    Redirected to a photographers site.

Would it hurt both sites/one ~v~ the other or neither, because of the anchor text?
    I remember Rod saying it also has to do with anchor text as well. (of the domain getting redirected) Iíve read that the penalty will pass as well but does it make a difference if itís redirected to a different subject site?
    Last edited by Test-ok; Jun 22nd, 2015 at 07:11 PM.
  3. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    There's a lot of information about 301ing a domain to another domain, but it seems to be different everywhere I read it.
    Lets see if we can get to the nuts and bolts on this.

Does an expired domain that shows it was likely hit by penguin and still shows to carry some PR affect a site if it’s been redirected to it in the following scenarios? And yes I know the true pr is difficult to tell.
    John Mueller suggests if you do a site move ... video via a 301 re-direct any PENGUIN issue will follow... I can see how this can be accurate and dead wrong noting your actual question. Love how nice he implies this action is when the question was asked to "AVOID PENGUIN".

Does an expired domain
    ...that isn't what John was referencing to. He was noting if you simply moved the website to a different domain (and I'll expand his answer)... If the domain getting the website is targeting the same keywords YES you will have a problem. But if you picked up dogbreeding.com that has a PENGUIN issue and added a Lawn Care website to it the only ranking problem you will have is with an article about dogs crapping on the lawn and only ranks involving dog phrases.

Just because Googlers answered a question doesn't mean they answered your question. They will NEVER tell you how to circumvent their quality control guidelines even when your only interest is recovering from your past transgression no matter how much wishful thinking you apply.

For example: Lets use an expired domain that was selling shoes (xyz,com) and has thousands of BL that uses anchor text of the domain name (xyz,com) and say 5 percent shoe related anchor text or vise a versa.
    Scenario 1
    Redirected to another shoe site.
    Scenario 2
    Redirected to a photographers site.
    I would conclude here the unnatural link juice (PageRank) is dead but the natural link juice (PageRank) is still very much there. The problem you run into with PENGUIN - a link is a link is a link and it does not distinguish any difference between unnatural external links and naturally occurring internal ones. So long as the unnatural links are there they impact the ranking potential of the website for those targeted phrases... but change your targeted phrases to something completely irrelevant to those original unnatural links your new internal link anchors come alive.

So I would say... in your scenario shoes to photography is the perfect solution although I would think that photos of shoes would still be problematic.

Would it hurt both sites/one ~v~ the other or neither, because of the anchor text?

I remember Rod saying it also has to do with anchor text as well. (of the domain getting redirected) I’ve read that the penalty will pass as well but does it make a difference if it’s redirected to a different subject site?
    Not sure I quite understand what is being asked here... The links are devalued, which suggests the pages they reside on are also devalued in some way (merely speculation on my part I haven't been able to prove or disprove this. I would conclude the PageRank is no longer flowing (like adding a rel="nofollow") so no matter what you define the anchor after-the-fact it remains worthless. But that isn't really a punishment to the linking page owner.

My question the two webpages are conspiring to defraud Google's users so what punishment does the unnatural link provider get for doing what Moz did to be an accomplice to a manual review - I guarantee PENGUIN is just as heavy handed.

Still learning...
    Last edited by fathom; Jun 23rd, 2015 at 08:22 AM.
  5. SEO Since 97

but change your targeted phrases to something completely irrelevant to those original unnatural links your new internal link anchors come alive.
    Thats what I thought.
    If I understand it correctly...you can pass the pr if you're redirecting to a non subject site but you can pass the pr and penalty (if one exists) if you 301 it to the same subject. What your saying is anchors have a lot to do with Penguin. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's something else I've read thats a bit conflicting (in my mind it is)
    Let's say a shoe site bombed because of Penguin, they get a brand new clean domain and redirects an expired domain that's also about shoes.

(Here's the conflicting info)
    some say make all your old pages 404 and redirect to the base domain, others say 301 page to page.
    I'd think you wouldn't want to 301 page to page or even to the base url or you'll be passing the penalty.
    So in a sense the old domain that was hammered is worthless in this situation...or does the 404 play a role in it?
  7. rod@missionop.com

Thats what I thought.
    If I understand it correctly...you can pass the pr if you're redirecting to a non subject site but you can pass the pr and penalty (if one exists) if you 301 it to the same subject. What your saying is anchors have a lot to do with Penguin. I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong.
    I can't verify the latter (That's John Mueller's thoughts) I'm not willing to test that theory, I can only refute what he said "IF" you acquire a PENGUINized aftermarket domain (which I have many times) and redirect it to an irrelevant website ... you get a positive impact. In theory, (I would say) the unnatural links are like having a lot more rel="nofollow". (no positive impact but also no negative impact either).

Here's something else I've read thats a bit conflicting (in my mind it is)

Let's say a shoe site bombed because of Penguin, they get a brand new clean domain and redirects an expired domain that's also about shoes.

(Here's the conflicting info) some say make all your old pages 404 and redirect to the base domain, others say 301 page to page.

I'd think you wouldn't want to 301 page to page or even to the base url or you'll be passing the penalty.

So in a sense the old domain that was hammered is worthless in this situation...or does the 404 play a role in it?
    John Mueller in July 2012 suggested this action might have merits. But PENGUIN 1.0 was targeting only homepage links ... 2.0 and 3.0 were far more sophisticated.

When you tied non-homepage links into this that includes all internal links that while are generally considered naturally occurring the moment PENGUIN went deep that changed everything.
    Last edited by fathom; Jun 24th, 2015 at 05:24 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

So I have a similar question
    Here is a question I have a domain running for +/- 1 year with back-link weight and regular readers providing very light news content. I am now shutting it down and was wondering if I should just 301 re-direct the whole domain to another entertainment news site on celeb. news that I run to direct the link juice to the celeb news site, which is listed on the google news index.
    My fear is if I do this - will my celeb news site get negatively scored by google and others as its just celeb. news ? or not?
  11. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by MikeeSpikee
    So I have a similar question
    Here is a question I have a domain running for +/- 1 year with back-link weight and regular readers providing very light news content. I am now shutting it down and was wondering if I should just 301 re-direct the whole domain to another entertainment news site on celeb. news that I run to direct the link juice to the celeb news site, which is listed on the google news index.
    My fear is if I do this - will my celeb news site get negatively scored by google and others as its just celeb. news ? or not?
    Your fear is completely unwarranted.

If a domain has only one page that has natural links flowing to you should 301 permanently re-direct to a place in the other domain that genuinely needs ranking help. In would be better if these wasn't the main page/default page of the entertainment news site. Pick a star ... point it there and you'll see a miracle happen in a few weeks.

If the domain has mutliple pages that acquired links you can split your 301 to two locations (pick two stars)... etc.
  13. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by test-ok
    but change your targeted phrases to something completely irrelevant to those original unnatural links your new internal link anchors come alive.
    Thats what I thought.

I just want to dismiss the myth that someone might suggest I started... editing any unnatural link anchors to represent more natural looking link anchors will have no positive effect... the page the link is on is devalued "not just the link"... getting rid of the page (or the link) or disavowing it will have a positive impact but trying to keep fraud alive by making it less noticeable fraud isn't going to change anything.
    Last edited by fathom; Jun 28th, 2015 at 09:54 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo