Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. modulator
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

301 redirecting entire sites (Sandbox is back?)

I thought I should post about my experience with redirecting an entire site using 301. The original site was on a subdomain of one of my other websites. I always had the domain I wanted for the site, but, never got around to using it due to hosting limitations. The links started to build up on the subdomain and I had nice rankings.

So, about a couple of weeks ago, I forwarded everything to the new domain using 301 redirect. I changed every link on all of my other domains to the new site and any others that I could. It looks like I am stuck way down in the sandbox again (as I remember all to well). So, I know that there has been discussion on whether or not 301 redirects would have effect on any ranking and I am definitely seeing the effects. I will post an update as soon as I can get the ranks back to normal.

I'm sure that the 301 rankings do indeed count, but, the sandbox is in effect still.

Cheers
    Last edited by decipher; Aug 7th, 2005 at 03:01 AM.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

It may be a combination of the redirect and using a different domain.

I've never seen any problem with 301 redirects if both pages are on the same domain. Also, you've probably lost some backlinks if there were sites not under your control who were linking to the old domain but haven't been updated.
  5. modulator

It's definitely the new domain. Like you, I have had good success moving pages from one domain no problem. This is effecting the entire site.

I'm assuming that the old links will still count, but, I will be pretty depressed if they aren't.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

It may just take a little time for it to be all "re-calibrated". It may not be the sandbox, but just the normal adjusting period when redirecting. So, think positive - it might only take a couple weeks, as opposed to months.

Comments on this post

• gabs agrees : 2 week I wish ;-)
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by dazzlindonna
    It may just take a little time for it to be all "re-calibrated". It may not be the sandbox, but just the normal adjusting period when redirecting. So, think positive - it might only take a couple weeks, as opposed to months.
    I agree. I've never gotten credit for a 301 in 2 weeks. It has always taken several weeks up to 3 months. People here seem to be very quick to call any loss or lack of ranking the "sandbox". In this case (as in most) I doubt that is the case. If after a 2 or 3 months, you still have no rankings AND you are ranking well for allinanchor queries, then it would be fair to start talking about the sandbox.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  11. modulator

Good call guys. I guess it is a bit quick to jump the gun at this point, but, it really does remind me of starting new domains and the whole filter thing.

In the process of the move to the new domain while I still had the rankings on the old subdomain, I grabbed a a bunch of extra links to the new site which will hopefully boost it up quicker. Also, I have owned the domain since I started the site and had a few links to it here and there.

I will be sure to post how long this takes... I guessed I would lose rankings, but, it is a non profit generating site and I am interested to see what happens. An experiment I guess.

Cheers.
    Last edited by decipher; Aug 7th, 2005 at 02:21 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

decipher, a couple of months ago I did the reverse of what you've just done - I moved an established site to a subdomain of another site, for rebranding purposes. Like you, I changed all my links to it, and contacted the webmasters of those sites which linked to me asking them to change.
    I saw a 2 week drop in rankings, and of course traffic, but then we were right back where we had started.
    As this move was to a subdomain of a well established site, it obviously doesn't involve the sandbox, but I would definitely stick this out. I'm sure that in time, and I would think a fairly short time, your rankings should be back where they were.
    You could try using a Google sitemap to tell them about all the new pages - that might speed the process up a bit

cheers

John
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

A couple of weeks ago I setup 301 re-directs from domain.com to www.domain.com. A few days later my website all but disappeared from Google. There was an unusual keyword for which I was ranked #1 for years, and numerous common keywords that I was in the first few SERPs. Now they're all gone. I can find my website by searching for my domain name minus the .com. That's about it. Other than the 301 re-direct, I did nothing to change my website other than the same routine minor updates I've been making a few times a week for years. I'm not going to insist it's the 301, but there's nothing else to point the finger at.
    Last edited by screamv; Aug 7th, 2005 at 03:49 PM.
  17. modulator

Thought I would give an update here. It's been two months since the initial redirect and I haven't seen ANY referers from google (at least not at the level I was at before). It's exactly how the site was when I first got indexed. Ranking high for allinanchor, basically same rankings that I had before (which is a good sign at least). What sucks even more is blog directory sites that 302 redirect to me are showing up before me in the serps. I'm not losing to scraper sites though which would suck even more.

Looks like the 301 doesn't pass PR immediately either, I went from a PR 6 to 4 within a couple of weeks. This was around the same time that people were suggesting that there was a partial PR update. Anyhow, will keep you guys updated on any progress.

I have been doing some research and some people say it's better to do a 302 redirect to a new domain so you keep all your rankings and then generate a link campaign to the new domain. Then, after the new domain starts to rank, or you have enough links, 301 to the new domain. I didn't want to mess with a 302 though because of all the horror stories I have heard. I would rather be in google and not getting hits versus banned.
    Last edited by decipher; Sep 21st, 2005 at 01:00 AM.
  19. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

seomoz.org got sandboxed when splitting from a subdomain as well. Randfish has posted about it there and whithin this forum.
    14th Colony: The hardest working websites online!

Looking for links? Join the Union and don't miss English Grammar rules, tips and explanations
  21. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

i was just going to post about that rmc ... here's the thread.
    http://forums.seochat.com/showthread.php?p=231191#post231191

it also happened to me recently with a VERY established site .... after the 301 hit - BAM - right back into the sandbox... i couldn't believe it.. it's been several months now and still no love.

seems like the 301 filters are VERY sensitive lately... maybe because they were taken advantage of in the past....
  23. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by decipher
    The links started to build up on the subdomain and I had nice rankings.
    Worth contacting everyone who links to that subdomain, informing them of the change of URL, this way you should be able to redirect most of the BL's at source!
  25. modulator

SEOBoy, 80% of the links to the site were on messageboards, LJs, blogs etc. Since it's in the hundreds, I don't think it's worth the time since this is a non profit generating site. I also want to see if PR can be 301ed to another domain, so, I'm going to stick it out. We will see...

rmccarley and toddieg, thanks for the link. Good to know that I'm not crazy. Suprisingly, I haven't been able to find too many people online that have knowledge about this.
  27. SEO Earthquake!
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

Originally Posted by decipher
    rmccarley and toddieg, thanks for the link. Good to know that I'm not crazy. Suprisingly, I haven't been able to find too many people online that have knowledge about this.
    Welcome to SEOChat! These people know whats up. I have learned a lot here in a short period of time.
  29. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by rmccarley
    Welcome to SEOChat! These people know whats up. I have learned a lot here in a short period of time.
    when is the 1000th post coming rmc?

Comments on this post

• rmccarley agrees : It's here: http://forums.seochat.com/showthread.php?p=260883#post260883
    It's been fun everyone... Time to leave for good. See this for more details.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: