1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

301 Redirect SEO Question

Please answer ONLY if you know the exact answer and you are absolutely sure about it:

I have a website which is ranked on 1st page of google for a competitive term, for some reasons i would like to change the domain of my website with a new created domain and 301 redirect the existing domain to it.

Will this affect my Google ranking? Am i going to lose my position on Google? Or it will simply be replaced with my new domain?

Thanks in advance for your attention.
  3. SEO Insultant
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Yes, yes, and no not really

Comments on this post

• SEOhostingcouk agrees
    • tstolber agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Even Matt Cutts wont be able to answer your question , and will say:yes, no, maybe.

Why do you want to screw your rankings , your old domain probably have more authority than the new one and have been indexed.
  7. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I wouldn't say rankings will be completely lost, but it would depend on your niche and how competitive your search terms are that you rank for, so a simply yes or no answer doesn't really fit your questions without some more details.

Generally rankings will decrease for a change of domains due to the new domain not having the links or authority etc that the old/current domain has, but if your not in a competitive market and/or have a relatively new site/domain to start with, your rankings shouldn't be effect to dramatically due to not having much to lose in the first place.

Any sort of change in domain or url has a risk of losing rankings though, so you need to gage if the change is worth the risk as you will loss link juice even with the correct 301 redirects in place and doing a change of address in google WMT.

So the question stands:
    1. Why do you want to change domain names?
    1. Is it worth the risk of having to basically start fresh?
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  9. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by tommy22
    Please answer ONLY if you know the exact answer and you are absolutely sure about it:

I have a website which is ranked on 1st page of google for a competitive term, for some reasons i would like to change the domain of my website with a new created domain and 301 redirect the existing domain to it.

Will this affect my Google ranking? Am i going to lose my position on Google? Or it will simply be replaced with my new domain?

There are no exact answers in SEO even when we have all the information required to give an informed opinion. Based on what we know from your issue about the best anyone could do is take a shot in the dark.

Sorry for answering without an exact answer, would help more if I could.
  11. SEO Learner
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Ohh really

o
    Well, 301 redirect Users and about 90% of link juice to new page. Who told you that it will replace the old domain

They Don't Redirect Ranking

Comments on this post

• tommy22
  13. No Profile Picture

Larry Page

Originally Posted by imlearner
    Ohh really

o
    Well, 301 redirect Users and about 90% of link juice to new page. Who told you that it will replace the old domain

They Don't Redirect Ranking
    I did tested it on one of my domains about 1 year ago, and it did worked, Google even transferred the PR of old domain to new domain. The reason I am asking here is because this website is ranked for an ultra-competitive keyword.

Thanks everyone for your answers, It seem to be very risky to do it for such website as you guys already stated. I guess i have to ask Matt Cutts or Larry Page before i do it.