1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

301 redirect to new domain ranking position?

hi
    today i move my old domain to a very new registred domain using 301 permanent redirect
    my question is does the new domain will take the rankings of the old domain?
    (ex: my old domain rank number 1 on searching the keyword iphone vs galaxy per example does my new domain will rank number 1 too? )
    the age of my old domain is about 3 yrs and the new domain just 2 day.

please give me some advice, is everything gonna be okey or should i back to use the old domain?
  3. No Profile Picture

Yes,it will take the rankings of the old domain,but that will need some time, maybe 1 month or longer.be patient.
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

A couple of things here

A 301 redirect is the correct method to use so you are good there. Use the Check Server Headers Tool here to double check your URL is returning the correct status code. Another thing you should do is to tell Google about the change of address with the change of address function in Google Webmaster Tools.

When you 301 redirect a site, you will experience a drop in rankings for a period of time (can be up to 6 months) however you will regain the results. It is good practice to keep the original domain and site live and hosted with the 301 redirect in place until the search results start showing your new URLs instead of the original ones.

Changing back to a domain after you 301 redirected it is bad practice and should be avoided.
  7. No Profile Picture

thanks for the replys..
    i use the tool Check Check Server Headers Tool here and its ok it say (HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently)

so my rankings will drop after all.. that's bad.. i should search more before take the step
    the new domain start showing on google but it didn't replace the old domain
    the old domain still number 1 of a keyword.. the new domain is on page 2

anyway.. i also wana know when should i start built linking to the new domain.. and there's a new design but i read on google webmaster answers that i should move then later redesign (propably i wait until all the move complete then lanch the new design).
  9. No Profile Picture

Yes It Will take Ranking Of the Old Domain If Every Thing Is Write Means Not Copied Content Not any Problem in site
  11. No Profile Picture

my advice to everyone
    if you think to move to a new domain, don't you dare do that, unless you don't have much visitors

i lost 60% of my visitors (around 3000 unique visitor per day)
    my main keyword have changed 2 days ago.. i was N1 on google for that keyword
    and now no where to be found on the first 30 pages on google
    ps: google did somthing weird he pick up one of the posts that was on the category contain that keyword (which was N1) and put it N5
    which is going to remove again because he didn't transfer it to new domain yet