1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

301 redirect issue

Hi, Iím doing some SEO on a website that uses a CMS. Iíve identified that the homepage uses 302 redirects. So I need to change these to 301 redirects. I have a sneaky feeling that 302ís have been used elsewhere in the site but as itís not my site I donít know where. Is there a way to find this out?

Secondly itís on IIS so I understand I canít use htacess so will have to create an include with some conditional code to redirect. If I canít change the CMS to use 301ís instead of 302ís, if adding the 301 low down in the code processing so that the 301 processes after the 302 code is executed. will the 301 take priority?

Last question! Do I need to delete the code in the page Iím redirecting from i.e. the old page?

Thanks

Mike
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by phatmike10
    Hi, Iím doing some SEO on a website that uses a CMS. Iíve identified that the homepage uses 302 redirects. So I need to change these to 301 redirects. I have a sneaky feeling that 302ís have been used elsewhere in the site but as itís not my site I donít know where. Is there a way to find this out?

Secondly itís on IIS so I understand I canít use htacess so will have to create an include with some conditional code to redirect. If I canít change the CMS to use 301ís instead of 302ís, if adding the 301 low down in the code processing so that the 301 processes after the 302 code is executed. will the 301 take priority?

Last question! Do I need to delete the code in the page Iím redirecting from i.e. the old page?

Thanks

Mike
    Before getting too technical... What is the CMS? More times than not CMS's have massive plugin/components availability to cure these and similar problems.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by joshz
    Before getting too technical... What is the CMS? More times than not CMS's have massive plugin/components availability to cure these and similar problems.
    It's Episerver. From doing some reading I think I can set up dynamic pages to change from 302 to 301 in the CMS but where an actual page is a redirect from an old page I think I need to add something like below in each page using an include:
    <code> <%
    If InStr(Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_NAME"),"www. widgets.com") = 0 Then
    Response.Status="301 Moved Permanently"
    Response.AddHeader "Location","http://www.widgets.com" & Request.ServerVariables("URL")
    End if

CurrPage = Request.ServerVariables("URL")
    If Instr(UCase(CurrPage), UCase("default.asp")) > 0 Then
    Response.AddHeader "Location","http://www.widgets.com"
    End if

CurrPage = Request.ServerVariables("URL")
    If Instr(UCase(CurrPage), UCase("old-page-that-needs-redirecting")) > 0 Then
    Response.AddHeader "Location","http://www.widgets.com/new-page"
    End if
    %></code>
  7. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

I just googled [Episerver 301 redirect] and found this http://world.episerver.com/Modules/F....aspx?id=52347

That sounds like it could be the easiest way for you to find any redirects so you can check which ones need changing, not sure if that can change the redirects for you, but it says in that thread that the mod can delete, edit and create redirects I think?

*EDIT* More info

Did another search for [Episerver change 302 to 301] and this one is an even better fix for what you need http://world.episerver.com/Modules/F....aspx?id=57224

Still worth checking both the links but the last link should be the fix for changing 302 to 301
    Last edited by NathanielB; Oct 4th, 2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: added some more info and another link for better fix
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Great thanks for this, a great help. Regarding looking any other pages that are using 302s, as I suspect some might be. Is there a way I can find this out?
  11. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Great thanks for this, a great help. Regarding looking any other pages that are using 302s, as I suspect some might be. Is there a way I can find this out?
    Did you check the links I provided above? Common dude I have done the hard work, all you need to do is read the links and check out what those people have suggested in those threads on the support forum for that CMS!

Hint: Check where "Mari JÝrgensen" links to and read what it says in the first screenshot, then come back again once you have read everything and thank me for giving you what you could have found on a silver plate lol

If you can't get it from that hire someone to do the work for you, hell I will even do it for you because you should be able to simply install the mod and search for existing redirects
    Last edited by NathanielB; Oct 4th, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ha ha, thatís great thank you eternal great one! Ha. For some reason I didnít read the first link but the second. Teaches me to pay attention! Thatís great thanks.
    Itís interesting actually this is the first bit of SEO Iíve done for someone else, Iíve been SEOing my on sites for years but have started to branch out. Itís a SME which has an IT department so everything will have to go through them, its an extra layer in the SEO planning process that Iím not used to. Normally I would just implement the code myself, job done.

p.s. the first reply to this post mentioned I needed to block the old URLs in robots. Is this really neccesary, I'd heard of deleting the contents after a few months before but not needing to add it to robots.txt?
  15. Busting SEOChat Spammers!

Ha ha, thatís great thank you eternal great one! Ha. For some reason I didnít read the first link but the second. Teaches me to pay attention! Thatís great thanks.
    Itís interesting actually this is the first bit of SEO Iíve done for someone else, Iíve been SEOing my on sites for years but have started to branch out. Itís a SME which has an IT department so everything will have to go through them, its an extra layer in the SEO planning process that Iím not used to. Normally I would just implement the code myself, job done.

p.s. the first reply to this post mentioned I needed to block the old URLs in robots. Is this really neccesary, I'd heard of deleting the contents after a few months before but not needing to add it to robots.txt?
    That's ok no problem mate

No don't block the old url's it makes no sense to me why someone would want to do that?! You have redirects setup to tell google the page has moved so once that's done you need do nothing with the old page, 301 redirect = job done