1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Lightbulb 301 redirect / changing links pointing to old site?

hi all

i implemented a 301 redirect on a site about 2 weeks ago. let's call this old site petfood.net. the new site is petfood.com and the 301 seems to have worked as expected. google is still showing the old site when searching for the new site, but this should clear up permanently in the next week or two i'm told.

my question is the following: the old site (petfood.net) had a PR of 7. with the 301, the new site now keeps the PR. however, i had planned to now mail everyone linking to the old site to ask them to link to the new site. BUT I've just suddenly got concerned about the risk that this might have on my PR. if all the old link partners now link to the new site directly (and not through the old site via 301) will Google RE-start PR calculation on the new site, or will this have no impact?

please let me know. i'd prefer everyone across the net to link directly to the new site, but i don't want to do this if it means losing the old site's PR. help!

thanks!
  3. PHP & MySQL guru
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

A very interesting question.

Why not keep the 301 redirect for as long as possible and then slowly get the link partners to change. That way, if it goes t**s up, you can reverse it and then post your findings on this forum!
  5. No Profile Picture

Rather safe than sorry

Yeah, that's definitely the safer route to go. But ideally it would be better having everyone pointing to our new site. I'd prefer to replace all record of the old site ...

Has anyone done similar and come out alive, with PR intact?
  7. No Profile Picture

Exclamation I need to be sure

If you're reading this, and you have an opinion or you've done this before, please share your thoughts here. I don't want to make any rash decisions and would appreciate as much input as possible. Please