Thread: 301 Redirect

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

301 Redirect

Hello,

Back in mid March I had to use a 301 redirect on my site to change from one domain to a different one. I have used Google Sitemaps and it says all of my pages on the new domain name have been indexed however about 80% of them are not showing up in the search results. As a result my Google traffic has dropped from over 3000 hits a month in February on my old domain name of amateur-investors.com to only 500 hits in March on my new domain of amateur-investor.net

I guess I'm wondering why several of my pages are not being listed in the search results now. My page rank with my new domain was updated last week by google and is back to "5" after being "0" for a month.
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

big daddy update may have caused some sites to lose indexed pages. Read Brad Callens lesson, it also talks about 301 redirects. The information is good
    http://www.seoelite.com/Lessons/GoogleBigdaddyUpdate.htm
    Work Smarter, Not Harder
  5. No Profile Picture

301 Redirect

Hello,

So if Bigdaddy was responsible for not indexing many of my pages that were previously ranked rather high for certain keywords, any idea how long it may take before those pages start showing up again? My problems started in mid March.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Why'd you switch domains? Seems like the old one is better than the new one anyways.

9. No Profile Picture

301 redirect

Hi,

Well some big company named Investors Business Daily complained my original domain name of Amateur-Investors.Com infringed on their domain name of Investors.Com After spending a few thousand dollars with the lawyers it was determined I had two options. Either I change my domain name and not have the word "Investors" in it or I would have to go to court over the matter. Since I was advised it would cost several thousand dollars to take the issue to court I decided it was just easier to change the domain name although I still have ownership over the original domain name. Initially I thought the 301 redirect was the problem for the big decrease in google traffic at my site however it appears Big Daddy might be the real culprit. Like I said earlier I can't find 80% of my pages in the google search results right now which is killing my site traffic. In February I had over 2000 hits from my google listings but that dropped to 500 in March and has been even worse this month.
  11. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wxman
    Hi,

Well some big company named Investors Business Daily complained my original domain name of Amateur-Investors.Com infringed on their domain name of Investors.Com After spending a few thousand dollars with the lawyers it was determined I had two options. Either I change my domain name and not have the word "Investors" in it or I would have to go to court over the matter. Since I was advised it would cost several thousand dollars to take the issue to court I decided it was just easier to change the domain name although I still have ownership over the original domain name. Initially I thought the 301 redirect was the problem for the big decrease in google traffic at my site however it appears Big Daddy might be the real culprit. Like I said earlier I can't find 80% of my pages in the google search results right now which is killing my site traffic. In February I had over 2000 hits from my google listings but that dropped to 500 in March and has been even worse this month.
    I dont know man, It seems that you researched pretty hard in the trademark infringement case, but investors.com cant claim the word investors as atrademark. That is BS. They cant fight every domain name with investors in it. You talked to lawyers so I am sure that my advice is negligable.
    in my non-legal opinion you would have won the case in court. But as you said its pretty cost prohibitive. sorry to detract from the original topic. I just feel like that big company is pushing their weight around to screw you over.
    Last edited by googler; Apr 13th, 2006 at 02:31 PM.
  13. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Yeah - big companies push people around and threaten legal action.

I wonder what will happen when I sell my olympic domain names as I have heard that they are VERY strict on these!

I would let them waste their money on legal or offer the domain to them at a reduced price - less than the legal action would cost.
  15. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tstolber
    Yeah - big companies push people around and threaten legal action.

I wonder what will happen when I sell my olympic domain names as I have heard that they are VERY strict on these!

I would let them waste their money on legal or offer the domain to them at a reduced price - less than the legal action would cost.
    I hate to blow my own horn, but check out the "internet law" link in my sig (directoryofdocuments.com/trademarklaw.html). You will find out many interesting facts on trademarks and domains. Carefull trying to sell the domain! You may be getting yourself into trouble....
    also www.gigalaw.com has some helpful info also.
    Last edited by googler; Apr 13th, 2006 at 03:44 PM.
  17. SEO Consultant

Hi Google, thanks for the info.

I read about an australian case where the domain owner was forced to give it up.

I would hope UK law was more leaniant on this. At the end of the day, if I want to create a site about the olympics whats wrong with that. If someone thinks otherwise they will have to fight me for it!

Hopefully I will sell them in due course! All domains have fully functioning sites, are indexed and are being optimised for olympic related terms.
    They all contain useful information.

Cheers
  19. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tstolber
    Hi Google, thanks for the info.

I read about an australian case where the domain owner was forced to give it up.

I would hope UK law was more leaniant on this. At the end of the day, if I want to create a site about the olympics whats wrong with that. If someone thinks otherwise they will have to fight me for it!

Hopefully I will sell them in due course! All domains have fully functioning sites, are indexed and are being optimised for olympic related terms.
    They all contain useful information.

Cheers
    not sure, it probobaly depends on whether olympics is trademarked and if your use falls under "fair use" a lot has to do with your intention as well, are you creating a beneficial site about the olympics, or is it simply to make money off the name? It all depends on the courts and what bug is up their butt about it.
  21. SEO Consultant

Yeah, I am not a fan of the legal system!

In answer to my intentions - that depends if you want to buy one or not - if you do then my intention is to sel, if you don't then I am very interested in the olympics and just want to create a useful resource!
  23. No Profile Picture

Believe Me

Yes I may have won in court but the kicker was this. Even if I had won my case and spent several thousand dollars in doing so I was told there was only a 1% to 2% chance that the court would issue a monetary judgement in my favor. Thus let's say I had to spend $75,000 which was very likely and I won my case then the chances of me getting my court fees back were very minimal. Thus I would have had to spend a lot of money to prove a point which just wasn't worth it. I know of another site who that is actually going to take them to court and it will be interesting to see what happens.