1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

301 from multiple domains to one single domain

First of all i want to introduce myself. My name is Jenny and i am a webshop owner from the Netherlands (we sell garden products)

I have a very important question (and i can`t find a clear answer on the internet). So i hope someone can help me,

At this moment me and 4 other friends own each a seperate webshop. We all started the webshops 5 -7 years ago and work all in the same business. (garden products).

We discussed last week, and we want to make one big company and combine all 5 company`s. All 5 websites have a huge pagerank, lots of organic traffic and very good incomming links.

We registered new domainnames and want to redirect the 5 "old" domains to one new domain to pass over the Google juice.

Our new company is a multilanguage webshop and each language has its own domain. (for example)

(www. gardenproducts example .nl)
    (www. gardenproducts example .de)
    (www. gardenproducts example .es)
    (www. gardenproducts example .fr)
    (www. gardenproducts example .com)

Does it harm us if we 301 redirect all the 5 "old" websites to the new webshop? And what is the best way to redirect the "old" webshops to the new one?

I am afraid of a Google penalty because it maybe looks like we bought some domains to pass the juice to the new project.

Hope somebody can help us,
  3. Online Business Builder
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Configure Google webmaster account for all websites. set 301 redirect from all your 5 websites to your main website. Let the Google know about this transition (change of address under configuration). ranking on individual website will be dropped but the link juice and relevancy will be passed to your main website withing 2 months. Instead of redirecting all your old pages to main website's home page, I would suggest to redirect individual page to its corresponding page. Do URL mapping for that; if it is on larger scale I would suggest to hire an expert for this transition.

You can also read detailed guideline for moving your website - https://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=83105

hope this help

Comments on this post

• Noj agrees : great advice, the mans spot on
    Last edited by chiragparekh; Jul 5th, 2012 at 04:16 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

First of all thanks for your answer. Its hard to find any information about this issue so i am very happy with your help.

Our new webshop has a lot of new products, and alle information pages are new so page to page redirecting is hard to do.

What would you suggest.

For example:

Our old webshops

(www. old webshop number 1 .nl)
    (www. another name webshop2 .com)
    (www. again other webshop3 .net)
    (www. different name again4 .net)
    (www. webshop number5 .net)

Should we redirect every website to the new .com main webshop or should we split up the 301 redirects to the different domains. And use the most powerfull old domainname to redirect to our English version www. plantsandherbs example .com

(www. gardenproducts example .nl)
    (www. gardenproducts example .es)
    (www. gardenproducts example .fr)
    (www. gardenproducts example .com)
    Last edited by Jenny28; Jul 5th, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
  7. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Jenny28
    I am afraid of a Google penalty because it maybe looks like we bought some domains to pass the juice to the new project.
    Forget about 301 and keep all sites intact.

Make your new site flagship of your business with massive information (content)
    and payment gateway and keep old sites to provide PR juice to your main site.
    If you turn 5 perfectly good sites to 301 redirect, then you effectively will kill
    5 GOOD links in one shot.

Donít play games with 301.

fastreplies

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : That's how I'd do it too.
  9. Online Business Builder

Originally Posted by fastreplies
    Forget about 301 and keep all sites intact.

Make your new site flagship of your business with massive information (content)
    and payment gateway and keep old sites to provide PR juice to your main site.
    If you turn 5 perfectly good sites to 301 redirect, then you effectively will kill
    5 GOOD links in one shot.

Donít play games with 301.

fastreplies
    sorry but I have to disagree with you...

I am sure all these 5 sites are hosted on the same server (same c class IP). Maintaining 5 additional sites mean extra cost for sake of only 5 links... However the link value will be passed from the page where link is existed whereas in redirection, the whole link juice of website will be passed to redirected domain. though it won't pass 100% link juice but still it is worth.

I'd rather prefer to post contents on main money website rather than these micro-sites.

Comments on this post

• DarrenHaye agrees
  11. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I would go fastreplies route.

with that many sites...all good pr, they could dominate the first page. It's a nitch network already set up.

Why would you automatically think their all on the same server chiragparekh?
  13. Permanently Banned

Originally Posted by chiragparekh
    I am sure all these 5 sites are hosted on the same server (same c class IP).
    So what?
    Where does it say that 5 sites with 5 different TLDs in 5 different languages
    can't use the same IP block?

fastreplies
  15. Online Business Builder

Originally Posted by Test-ok
    This is based on my gut feeling and logic. because people prefer buying one resell hosting and host all their domains.

I worked with many MNCs and all such MNCs have their one centralize (their own) server where they host all their domains.

Even our competitors are also having lots of domains hosted on the same IPs. Can't share our competitor's information on public forum.

Edit: BTW if they are not hosted on same server, I would stick with what I have suggested in my earlier post.
    Last edited by chiragparekh; Jul 6th, 2012 at 12:43 AM.
  17. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I would go fastreplies route.

with that many sites...all good pr, they could dominate the first page. It's a nitch network already set up.

That would be asking for trouble wouldn't it, setting up a network..

If you really do have 5 great sites Jenny28 you should hire a professional to help oversee the 301 redirects to make sure it's done right and you keep all the value you can, which ever way you decide to do it.

Comments on this post

• chiragparekh agrees : Exactly
    • Test-ok agrees : It would require someone who knew what they were doing..Gardening industry over there is huge, you know what they grow. :wink:
    Last edited by DarrenHaye; Jul 6th, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  19. Online Business Builder

Originally Posted by fastreplies
    So what?
    can't use the same IP block?

fastreplies
    Why many blog networks get affected by Google? if you can figure out this, you will find answer by your own.
  21. SEO Since 97

This is based on my gut feeling and logic. because people prefer buying one resell hosting and host all their domains.

I worked with many MNCs and all such MNCs have their one centralize (their own) server where they host all their domains.

Even our competitors are also having lots of domains hosted on the same IPs. Can't share our competitor's information on public forum.

Edit: BTW if they are not hosted on same server, I would stick with what I have suggested in my earlier post.
    Ok I see what your sayin...Your talking about the new sites...
    I did a fastread...ha ha I made a funny....I would suggest they only have 1 new site with different languages instead of 5 and keep the old one in place.
  23. Permanently Banned

Why many blog networks get affected by Google? if you can figure out this, you will find answer by your own.
    Well if what youíre saying was true than G. would shot down every site that hosted
    on the same shared IP on the same virtual server. After all if we fallow your logic,
    because G. has no idea who owns these domains all 500 of them, they must be belong
    to the same owner and thus G. must shot them down.

Is that what youíre saying?

fastreplies
    BTW, feeling and logic is an oxymoron
  25. SEO Since 97

Many blog networks got shut down because they were webspam or spammy networks. Not all networks have to be spammy...No?
  27. Permanently Banned

Many blog networks got shut down because they were webspam or spammy networks. Not all networks have to be spammy...No?
    That would be my next point but even then I would remind our friend that G. must be
    pissed off a lot for being pushed around by some obnoxious network owner.

If G really want to go after networks, then we would have no more than a couple of hundreds
    directories left but as far as I can see all 50,000 of them still around owned by thousands of them
    by the same networks.

fastreplies

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees : Penguin didn't target networks..it targeted webspam.
  29. Online Business Builder

Test-ok agrees: Penguin didn't target networks..it targeted webspam.
    Again you did fastread where I said penguin targets networks???