1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

301 or Canonical to handle Site Jacking?

Noticed a few domains that are pointing to my IP address for some reason. As a result if you do a search on Google for: my company name sitetherguysdomain.com you see these other domains are indexed with duplicates of all my pages. (This is not a scraping technique, they are essentially hosting their domain on the same IP address as mine - anyone can point their domain to any IP.)

I'm trying to decide to handle it by doing a 301 redirect that changes URLs that changes the foreign domain to my domain. I'm leary about doing this because most of these sites are very fishy sites (Russian sites with spammy content). Wouldn't Google think these are all doorway sites?

If I use the rel canonical tag, I'm going to have to do it dynamically by just reading the request URI and replacing the domain as oppose to hand-coding because our site is 90% dynamic (lots of form field values in the URLs). This actually seems like the better route since it is telling Google the original content for this page is at our site and it isn't telling them (I hope) that this page has been MOVED (redirected) - at least not as strongly as the 301.

What I want to tell Google is - we own this content but we have nothing to do with these other domains!

One funny thing I thought about doing was hijacking THEIR domain! In essence all I have to do is setup their domain on my server config (its a dedicated server). I could then host whatever content I wanted on their domain (as long as they kept pointing to our IP) and thereby leverage what domain authority they had by passing link juice through links to our site. Problem is, it can be time consuming to setup the site with unique content and enough of it so Google doesn't consider it a doorway.
    Last edited by consultant; Aug 10th, 2011 at 01:14 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Block their IP address from your host.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by seogoat
    Block their IP address from your host.
    You're not understanding what is happening. I am THEIR host - by their choice. These are not links. They have pointed www.theirdomain.com to MY IP in their DNS. The IP's accessing my site through their domain or no different than the ones accessing my domain - they are the end user IPs. They're not linking to or scraping my site. They are hosting their domain on my IP and there by my content comes up with their domain.

I can 301 redirect all foreign domains to my domain and/or use canonical.

Too bad they aren't similar sites with tons of traffic, as then I'd be loving it!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Surely on your host you have the facility to block their dns IP from using your host?