Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

3 keyword combination suprise!!

I had a huge suprize checking out my referal logs. I optimized for keyword # 1 and keyword # 2. I did fairly well onthat combination. I discovered that a similiar phrase keyword # 3 and keyword # 4, that means basically the same thing, was getting about 10x the hits per month in overture. I started optimizing for keyword #3 and keyword #4 combination. On the recent update I did much better on keyword phrase #3 and #4. I checked my search engine referal logs and was suprised to see huge amount of hits on 3 word phrase combination keyword #3, keyword #4, and keyword #2. This phrase is getting about 20x the hits in the past few days than my best phrase.
    Is this just a happy suprise or is there other reasons for this?

Sincerely
    Happily Shocked
  3. Modsky
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Thats great news shep, It just goes to show that optimization is built on keyword research. Many people assume what are the best keywords instead of trying to find out. Those umers make an *** outa themselves by missing out on all of that 3 and 4 keyword traffic. And as an added bonus, the keywords that are longer tend to be more targeted and convert better. Good Job
    Cheers
    Webmasters who spend their energies upholding the spirit of the basic principles [Of Google] will provide a much better user experience and subsequently enjoy better ranking than those who spend their time looking for loopholes they can exploit. Google.com

Real Estate
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Is this just a happy suprise or is there other reasons for this?
    Keyword ranking is mainly based on the PR of your site and the keywords you got there. It's not that strange you have a high ranking on that 3 word phrase: The more keywords the searcher uses, the less results they get(so the higher your ranking). + Because you optimised for that 3 keywords, you are ranking high for that.
  7. Contributing User

Keyword ranking is mainly based on the PR of your site and the keywords you got there. It's not that strange you have a high ranking on that 3 word phrase: The more keywords the searcher uses, the less results they get(so the higher your ranking). + Because you optimised for that 3 keywords, you are ranking high for that.
    I disagree and I think many others will as we've had plenty of discussions about PR and how it doesn't really effect ranking (especially with more than one keyword.

However the other part is true for the most part.

Less results = easier to get better ranking.
  9. Contributing User

I disagree and I think many others will as we've had plenty of discussions about PR and how it doesn't really effect ranking (especially with more than one keyword.
    PR is very important for keyword ranking. Let's say you optimised for a keyword and there are a lot of competitors for that keyword. Let's say there are 50 sites who optimised fairly the same for that keyword. The site with the highest PR will rank the best. No doubt about it.

Why do you think google invented pagerank? Because that gives a quality factor for that site. On this way google knows the site is for real and not just a optimised doorway or something in that manner.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

PR is very important for keyword ranking. Let's say you optimised for a keyword and there are a lot of competitors for that keyword. Let's say there are 50 sites who optimised fairly the same for that keyword. The site with the highest PR will rank the best. No doubt about it.
    Sorry to dissagree, but i've actually seen many occasions where that wasn't TRUE.
    PR is only one of many parameters Google use to position you.
  13. Registered User

I was mostly suprised at the amount of hits that I was getting for that keyword. Last month I got 85 referals for keywords #1 and #2 and 23 referals from keywords #3and #4. Since google started dancing, I have 277 referals for keyword combination #3, #4, and #2. I don't even think this is a natural phrase as it is mouthful to use this phrase together.
    I am waiting for the phone to start ringing but no luck yet!!!
  15. Contributing User

Since google started dancing, I have 277 referals
    Yes, I'm sure this is because of your PR and optimised keywords. I think you have some new backlinks added to your site and the new optimised pages were indexed.
  17. Modsky
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

The generic PR is not as weighted but if your backlinks include the keywords the PR is huge! make sure if you have a specific keyword that you are focusing on put it in your link request I always ask for a specific code to be cut and pasted in html text link form like so

Code:
    <a title="keyword" href="domain.com">keyword</a>
    That way the link not only counts as a generic PR link to my site, but a huge boost for that specific keyword
  19. Contributing User

Quote:

Tresern:

Why do you think google invented pagerank? Because that gives a quality factor for that site. On this way google knows the site is for real and not just a optimised doorway or something in that manner.
    Um when was the last time you searched google and then checked PR?

Here's a quick example.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=make+money

First site pr 5 second site pr 6.

I have sites that are pr 2 and I am #3 for keywords and sites below are pr 5+

Pagerank is PART of the algo not the algo.

I'd rather have a PR 2 with 10 backlinks with my keyword phrase then a PR 5.
  21. Registered User

It might be PR but I can't really tell. Only two of the sites above me have PR on my toolbar. Google directory and one other one. Even DMOZ is gray bar. Could be toolbar problem or just google dance quirks.
  23. Contributing User

Um when was the last time you searched google and then checked PR? ?Etc...........
    Ummmm I said PR is very important for ranking, you disagree!?? Are we speaking here about ALL the best google ranking factors? I don't think so. Yes, there are more factors that give a good ranking for keywords. That is NOT the case on this post.

The case is that Shep like to know why his traffic went more with the google dance. I think that is because of his new PR(what he get from his backlinks) and the new indexed keyword optimising pages.

Anybody who disagrees can post here of course, but please stay with the topic.
  25. Contributing User

I have a site with pr1 ranking for some pretty good keyterms...

c'mon pr1 peoples!
  27. Registered User

My biggest suprise was the amount of referals I got from this oddball 3 word phrase. Overture rates both 2 word phrases but gives no information on the 3 word phrase. Obviously a lot of folks are searching using this 3 word phrase. Can I post the phrase on this forum? :
  29. Contributing User

have a site with pr1 ranking for some pretty good keyterms...
    So you have a PR1 site with pretty good keywords. What keywords are that than?
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  • Jump to page: